Making bike less likey to be vandalized

Old July 19th 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Making bike less likey to be vandalized

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 10:13:41 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
Last night, someone broke off my headlight and it's 2 18650 battery pack.

At my apartment.

Police were called and a report was taken.

I can not carry my bike up two stairs as I have back and neck problems.

I do not know how much my Huffy mountain bike weighs, but it is quite heavy.

It has a luggage rack, bottle holder, and one of those bulb activated "clown horns."

One option is to ask manager if I can install some pulleys to pull my bike up to my balcony.

I do not give that much of a probability of being okayed.

Any other ideas come to mind?

Andy

To minimize the chance of being vandalized, ride the worst bike imaginable. Ride a bike that is trashy and needs to be thrown in the dump. The scum people of the world will not vandalize it. I agree with the other person who said get a carbon bike. Or more correctly, a lighter weight bike. A bike less than 20 pounds. Easier to carry.
Old July 20th 19, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 13:29:02 -0700, wrote:

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 10:13:41 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
Last night, someone broke off my headlight and it's 2 18650 battery
pack.

That is not vandalism, just theft. To reduce that, you remove all easly
removeable stuff.

Any other ideas come to mind?

Andy

To minimize the chance of being vandalized, ride the worst bike
imaginable. Ride a bike that is trashy and needs to be thrown in the
dump. The scum people of the world will not vandalize it.

Nor steal it. At one stage, I purchased a new high level bicycle frame
to replace a cheap chinese frame that split. The only work I had done was
to max out bottle mount brazer ones, then I slapped a very rough coat of
paint over the bike frame and refitted the rest of stuff(quality gearing
and seat). In all it survived about six years of various courses as
various tertiay institutions over the decades with out being stolen or
vandalised. Hint, thieves look for value by a quick resale.

I agree with
the other person who said get a carbon bike. Or more correctly, a
lighter weight bike. A bike less than 20 pounds. Easier to carry.

I have to agree with looking for a lighter bicycle. "Lead pipe framed"
bikes mght be cheap, but better quality steel is definitely lighter.

Cheap, heavy bikes are okay for canablisation for protypes, but not much
else.

Old July 20th 19, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 3:29:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I do not have the big bucks to get a bike that costs more than my car.

Andy
Old July 20th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 12:30:15 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
[...]

Hmm. What does your car cost?

If someone is stealing stuff off your bike, you can make it hard to remove things
from your bike. Alternately, you can have stuff (lights, bags, cyclometers) that
are easy to remove, and remember without fail to remove them yourself every time
there's a risk.

All my headlights are bolted onto their respective bike, and they're all
generator powered. Those features combine to make them unappealing to thieves.
If I lived where theft was a problem, I might consider filling in the screw's
socket heads with epoxy, or otherwise using security screws.

The other possibility might be to buy a folding bike and take it with you.
It's tricky shopping for a folding bike, as there are lots of combinations of
ride quality, folding ability, weight and cost. But if your needs are modest,
you might be satisfied with a $400 Dahon. 32 pounds isn't light, but it's
luggable. https://usa.dahon.com/bikes-category/bikes/

(I don't own a Dahon and have no relationship with the company. I do have a
friend who owns one and likes it fine.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 22nd 19, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:48:05 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

If someone is stealing stuff off your bike, you can make it hard to remove things
from your bike. Alternately, you can have stuff (lights, bags, cyclometers) that
are easy to remove, and remember without fail to remove them yourself every time
there's a risk.

I've tried both those methods while trying to do service calls on my
bicycle. Despite removing everything possible from the bicycle every
time I park it to a bike rack, something gets stolen. The local
bicycle component thieves apparently carry all the necessary tools. I
had a surplus of hard disk drive magnets and decided to use those to
mount my lights, water bottles, and smartphone. The idea was to make
components easier to remove and replace. Strong magnets work, but
have their problems. If I get ambitious, I might try attaching my
saddle to the seat post with magnets. Incidentally, the ability to
use magnets to attach things to the frame might eventually become a
benefit of steel frames over aluminum.

All my headlights are bolted onto their respective bike, and they're all
generator powered. Those features combine to make them unappealing to thieves.
If I lived where theft was a problem, I might consider filling in the screw's
socket heads with epoxy, or otherwise using security screws.

The screws and matching tools can cost more than the components they
protect:
https://hexlox.com
https://www.bicyclebolts.com
https://www.brycefastener.com
https://pinheadlocks.com

The other possibility might be to buy a folding bike and take it with you.
It's tricky shopping for a folding bike, as there are lots of combinations of
ride quality, folding ability, weight and cost. But if your needs are modest,
you might be satisfied with a $400 Dahon. 32 pounds isn't light, but it's
luggable. https://usa.dahon.com/bikes-category/bikes/
(I don't own a Dahon and have no relationship with the company. I do have a
friend who owns one and likes it fine.)

I've tried similar folding bicycles and didn't like them. Nothing
wrong with the design or construction. I'm just addicted to a full
size frame. I keep looking at full size folders and kits to adapt
existing frames.
https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/crosstown/ (28 lbs or 18 kg)
https://www.montaguebikes.com
http://fubifixie.com
http://www.sandsmachine.com
The idea is simple enough. A full size bicycle is awkward in
elevators, stair wells, public transport, etc. Folding the bicycle in
half does not eliminate this awkwardness, but does make the bicycle
somewhat easier to carry and store. I'm tempted, but unless I can
find something used and cheap, I can't justify the expense.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 23rd 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/21/2019 6:08 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

I've tried both those methods while trying to do service calls on my
bicycle. Despite removing everything possible from the bicycle every
time I park it to a bike rack, something gets stolen. The local
bicycle component thieves apparently carry all the necessary tools.

snip

Ah, the joys of Santa Cruz. My daughter had half of her Mirrycle mirror
stolen. I suppose that it got fenced for 3ΒΆ.

A 24" or 26" wheeled high-quality folder would work fine for you, but
these days you'll spend $1000 for a Dahon IOS9 or a Tern Eclipse D16.
There's a trend now to 451 (22" wheels) and away from 20" wheels, but
you may find those too small as well. I couldn't find the current PCI
(Pavement Condition Index) of Santa Cruz, but I'd be surprised if it's
more than 70, and a small-wheeled folder is not advisable in places with
low PCI scores. My Brompton, with its 16" wheels, is not a great bike to
use in San Francisco.

I have a 26" Montague from many years ago. It doesn't even look like a
folding bike. But it doesn't fold small and you have to remove the front
wheel to fold it.