Anyone here know the BCD of an old SR Royal chainring?

Old July 26th 19, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Anyone here know the BCD of an old SR Royal chainring?

I don't have the crankset here so I can not take an image of it. It's an SR Royal and I wonder if the BCD of that stayed the same over the years. It has 2 laurel leaves with an oval with SR inside another oval with ROYAL in that oval ubder the oval with the SR in it. Does anyone here know what the BCD was on those cranksets?

Cheers
Old July 26th 19, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/26/2019 1:15 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I don't have the crankset here so I can not take an image of it. It's an SR Royal and I wonder if the BCD of that stayed the same over the years. It has 2 laurel leaves with an oval with SR inside another oval with ROYAL in that oval ubder the oval with the SR in it. Does anyone here know what the BCD was on those cranksets?

Cheers

Royal series, which are cold forged, were made in several
versions, 144mm, 130mm, 110mm.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 26th 19, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ERSHC

On 7/26/2019 1:15 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I don't have the crankset here so I can not take an image of it. It's an SR Royal and I wonder if the BCD of that stayed the same over the years. It has 2 laurel leaves with an oval with SR inside another oval with ROYAL in that oval ubder the oval with the SR in it. Does anyone here know what the BCD was on those cranksets?

Cheers

Why not measure and do math?

If n = number of bolts, d = distance between bolt hole centers
cosine in degrees

BCD = 2*sqrt((d*d)/(2*(1-cos(360/n))))
Old July 26th 19, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 4:11:32 PM UTC-4, ERSHC wrote:
On 7/26/2019 1:15 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I don't have the crankset here so I can not take an image of it. It's an SR Royal and I wonder if the BCD of that stayed the same over the years. It has 2 laurel leaves with an oval with SR inside another oval with ROYAL in that oval ubder the oval with the SR in it. Does anyone here know what the BCD was on those cranksets?

Cheers

Why not measure and do math?

If n = number of bolts, d = distance between bolt hole centers
cosine in degrees

BCD = 2*sqrt((d*d)/(2*(1-cos(360/n))))

Ah, because the crankset is not HERE with me? Hard to measure something when it's miles away.

Cheers
Old July 29th 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 1:57:37 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, July 26, 2019 at 4:11:32 PM UTC-4, ERSHC wrote:
On 7/26/2019 1:15 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I don't have the crankset here so I can not take an image of it. It's an SR Royal and I wonder if the BCD of that stayed the same over the years. It has 2 laurel leaves with an oval with SR inside another oval with ROYAL in that oval ubder the oval with the SR in it. Does anyone here know what the BCD was on those cranksets?

Cheers

Why not measure and do math?

If n = number of bolts, d = distance between bolt hole centers
cosine in degrees

BCD = 2*sqrt((d*d)/(2*(1-cos(360/n))))

Ah, because the crankset is not HERE with me? Hard to measure something when it's miles away.

Cheers

The diameters are pretty easy to tell on a double - if you have a 144 the smallest small ring is a 44 tooth. a 130 is a 39 and the 110 a 34 though I think that you could probably mount a 32 with careful bolt symmetry.

As you can see, over the years people have used lower and lower gears so that while they actually climb slower they can retain that speed longer over progressively steeper terrain.

By Royal Approval [email protected] UK 26 February 10th 19 12:28 PM
Royal Company? Judith[_4_] UK 6 April 3rd 14 09:18 AM
RR: A Royal Mess Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 31 September 15th 06 03:42 PM
Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use) RobCam Techniques 13 August 10th 05 04:05 AM
Royal Riders one wheeled stallion Unicycling 18 March 15th 04 07:28 AM