Moronic Cyclist Stupidity!

Old June 2nd 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

Default Moronic Cyclist Stupidity!

Hi there.

I am 57 and I am a long time resident of Toronto and am an avid
bicyclist who commutes 30 kms daily via bicycle.

I saw in the Saturday, May 31, 2008 edition of the Toronto Sun that
200 cyclists decided to have a protest demanding bicycle lanes on
Bloor Street. In their infinite wisdom (full sarcasm mode here) they
decided to ride their bicycles up the Jarvis Street on-ramp around 7
PM. Apparently they took over three lanes of the westbound Gardiner
Expressway - YES! you read that right EXPRESSWAY! Some of these
cyclists even had children with them.

What on earth were these people thinking? The Gardiner Expressway is
an elevated road that is usually quite busy. They are lucky no one was
injured or killed.
Bicycle lanes on Bloor Street? Are these people serious? Bloor Street
is a *VERY* busy east to west arterial road that does not have room
for bicycle lanes. If the city of Toronto were to remove the parking
along this road it possibly could help traffic flow better because you
would have at least two lanes each way.

Blocking traffic on the Gardiner Expressway is a really good counter-
productive way to protest. I wonder how many motorists who were held
up by these irresponsible cyclists or read the newspaper about it now
think all cyclists are idiots? Such behaviour is not conducive to
promoting bicycling (and cyclists) as a sane and efficient
transportation alternative.

I find it really hard to believe that any parent would take a child up
onto the Gardiner Expressway either on a bicycle or in a bicycle
trailer whilst *KNOWING THAT TRAFFIC WAS NOT BEING STOPPED BEFORE THAT
ONRAMP!*

As far as I am concerned all 200 of these cyclists demonstrated
irresponsible, negligence and pure idiocy. Three of them were
arrested. Pity that. There should have been far more. There would have
been but many of the cyclists threw their bicycles over the fence at
the Dunn and Jameson exit and escaped on foot. Unfortunately the
responsible cyclists are the ones who will be the ones to experience
the rise in driver ire that this protest is liable to have generated.

Witnesses stated that these cyclist were weaving in and out of traffic
and that many cars had to swerve to avoid them. At least one motorist
coming up the Jarvis Street onramp stated that he saw cars nearly plow
into cyclists as the cyclists came off the onramp.

It took nine police cruisers to force the cyclists off the Gardiner
Expessway at the Dunn Avenue/Jameson Street exit.

Damn those moronic bicyclists who behave in such irresponsible
behaviour and/or ride in an irresponsible manner! They are a plague on
bicyclists who do ride in a responsible manner in an attempt to share
the road.

Oh, I noticed in the newspaper article that many of these cyclist were
members of the Critical Mass Bicycle Ride. Perhaps that explains such
bizarre behaviour. Well, one thing is certain; if they want to tick
off motorists and alienate the public they are sure going about it the
right way.

Peter
Old June 2nd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 2, 4:42 pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Here, here.

Lewis.

*****
Old June 3rd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

Here, here.

Lewis.

Lewis, being a Brit and all, you should know that the correct term is "hear,
hear!"

Old June 4th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jun 2, 4:42 pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Oh, I noticed in the newspaper article that many of these cyclist were
members of the Critical Mass Bicycle Ride. Perhaps that explains such
bizarre behaviour. Well, one thing is certain; if they want to tick
off motorists and alienate the public they are sure going about it the
right way.

Peter

Sure, but how do you distinguish between a CM ride and the regular
Saturday club ride?

Old June 5th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luke

In article
,
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

snip

Calm down Sir ShortsInAKnot. Lest you think I'm an apologist for the
Critical Mass(holes?) my thoughts and those of many others are on
record at the board referenced below. Join in the debate, you'll be
addressing directly some of the participants of last Friday's Tour de
Gardiner.

http://www.ibiketo.ca/node/2234#comment-4113

Yes these people, and many others, are serious about bike lanes on
Bloor St. Why shouldn't they be?

Bloor is a major east/west artery in the heart of the city, it bisects
the U of T campus, it is a commercial and entertainment corridor; and
it links up with the bike lane on the Bloor St Viaduct, a major route
for commuting cyclists: IT IS THE MOST LOGICAL PLACE FOR BIKE LANES.

But don't take my word for it: Over 15 years ago, in 1992, a Route
Selection Study for on-street Bicycle Lanes done for the former City of
Toronto by the firm Marshall Macklin Monaghan concluded that Bloor St.
was THE NUMBER ONE CHOICE.

What other street do you recommend: Dundas, Eglinton, Lawrence,
Sheppard, Yonge, Bayview, Avenue Rd. etc... Or do those streets not
"have enough room" as well? The fact is to motorists roads never have
enough room and any vehicle that intercedes between them and their
destination should be disallowed.

There are NO bike lanes of any significant length on ANY major arteries
in all of Toronto. If you've ridden extensively in the city you'll know
that it's only the major arteries that provide passage over 400 series
highways, ravines and railways -- these are EXACTLY where bike lanes
belong. I suppose you're content to have bicycles relegated to
secondary side streets that do not and cannot take cyclists where they
want to go, where bicycle lanes are often installed because they occupy
room that motorists and everyone else considers of little value.

The continent over, cars have completely co-opted what was once an
inclusive commons and transformed it into a motorized sewer. Great
swaths of our urban spaces have had pedestrians and every vehicle other
than autos designed out of consideration.

Don't begrudge cyclists their intent of inserting themselves back into
consideration on their own streets, of reclaiming from cars a measure
of civility and space that has been so thoroughly ceded.

Thankfully there are cyclists in Toronto that aren't self-defeating in
their outlook, that are ambitious; they envision and are working toward
building a city in which bicycles and bicycle specific infrastructure
are a significant presence on *major* streets. Bicycle lanes on Bloor
is part of their plan.
Old June 5th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Sorni mischaracterizes Critical Mass yet again:

One purposely disrupts traffic (****ing off drivers and
engendering bad will), while the other is /part/ of traffic
and looks to promote cooperation.

=v= Bull****. Critical Mass *is* traffic. Indeed, the title
of the first documentary about CM points that out, duh.

One has a political agenda and the other does not.

=v= Oh really? What political agenda is that, precisely? My
observation is that there are as many agendas as participants.

One recruits jerks and the other rejects them.

=v= Again, bull****. Anyone is welcome at Critical Mass.
That "recruits jerks" exactly as, um, traffic does.
_Jym_

Old June 5th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:55:53 -0700, "Bill Sornson" may
have said:

DennisTheBald wrote:
On Jun 2, 4:42 pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Oh, I noticed in the newspaper article that many of these cyclist
were members of the Critical Mass Bicycle Ride. Perhaps that
explains such bizarre behaviour. Well, one thing is certain; if they
want to tick off motorists and alienate the public they are sure
going about it the right way.

Peter

Sure, but how do you distinguish between a CM ride and the regular
Saturday club ride?

One purposely disrupts traffic (****ing off drivers and engendering bad
will), while the other is /part/ of traffic and looks to promote
cooperation.

One has a political agenda and the other does not.

One recruits jerks and the other rejects them.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference if one has eyes and ears.

CM ride groups also vary in their approach; the few CM rides I've been
on have avoided being directly confrontational while still maintaining
a high profile. Much depends upon choice of route, choice of timing,
and (of course) the sanity of the participants. I guess we have a few
more who are just there to ride, rather than to make a statement about
anything but bikes. The police never gave any of us a hassle on the
rides I did, and as far as I could tell, the group didn't give them a
lot of reason to want to do so.

It *is* possible to make a statement without alienating the people
you're trying to persuade...and those who don't get the message are
probably not persuadable anyway. It makes little sense to change
someone from a disinterested spectator into an active opponent, as was
doubtless the case with the Gardiner invasion. (I've driven that
freeway; those idiots would have been hard-pressed to find a dumber
stunt IMO.)

Old June 6th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 2, 6:01*pm, "Pat" wrote:
Here, here.

Lewis.

Lewis, being a Brit and all, you should know that the correct term is "hear,
hear!"

Thanks, Pat, you are correct and I certainly deserve a reprimand for
that.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****
Old June 7th 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:42:43 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.misc, Sir
Ridesalot wrote:

As far as I am concerned all 200 of these cyclists demonstrated
irresponsible, negligence and pure idiocy.

as far as i'm concerned it's none of your business, and you are
just an anti-bike busybody.

PLONK.

Old June 7th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:19:40 -0400 in rec.bicycles.misc, Luke
wrote:

Bloor is a major east/west artery in the heart of the city, it bisects
the U of T campus, it is a commercial and entertainment corridor; and
it links up with the bike lane on the Bloor St Viaduct, a major route
for commuting cyclists: IT IS THE MOST LOGICAL PLACE FOR BIKE LANES.

bike are traffic. they don't need to be stuck in a cycling
ghetto on the edge of the street where they can be doored and
squeezed against the curb by bus and truck drivers.

bike lanes are useless. a wider outside lane with room for
cyclists is actually useful.

Moronic Postings From Non-Riders [email protected] Racing 8 December 11th 07 08:40 PM
Mealy Lycra Clad Idiots are Moronic at Best! IAMGOD Racing 0 November 11th 06 08:50 PM
More stupidity. soup UK 39 March 19th 05 08:50 AM
New Level of Stupidity TritonRider Racing 2 September 1st 04 02:34 AM