Time ATAC springs and end caps?

Old June 18th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Default Time ATAC springs and end caps?

I've developed a lot of play on the drive side pedal, and lost the
dust cap. Not sure if the cap stablizes the innards somehow (there's
about a cm of threads, so it's hard not to assume that it's doing more
than keeping dust out, but....)

Three questions:

1- googled around, but couldn't find an exploded diagram of ATACs for
a rebuild. Anyone?
2- anyone know where I could find a drive side cap (or both) and
springs (mine are around 8 years old and might as well get both at
once as I've heard they'll eventually snap?). I'd like to get it in an
NYC lbs if possible.
3- same as 2, but online?

Thanks as usual,

Scott
Old June 19th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 18, 2:30*pm, Scott Gordo wrote:
I've developed a lot of play on the drive side pedal, and lost the
dust cap. Not sure if the cap stablizes the innards somehow (there's
about a cm of threads, so it's hard not to assume that it's doing more
than keeping dust out, but....)

Three questions:

1- googled around, but couldn't find an exploded diagram of ATACs for
a rebuild. Anyone?
2- anyone know where I could find a drive side cap (or both) and
springs (mine are around 8 years old and might as well get both at
once as I've heard they'll eventually snap?). I'd like to get it in an
NYC lbs if possible.
3- same as 2, but online?

You probably have Aliums, because I think those
are the only variety of Time ATACs with an end cap;
the plastic bodied ones have a closed end.
I've not taken an Alium apart. By reputation, they
have a bushing that can wear out at the crank end
where the plastic bodies have a ball bearing, although
I've never actually done one in. I'm not sure replacing
the springs is possible or economical.

Ben

Old June 19th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Jun 19, 4:37*am, "
wrote:
[...]

You're right about them being Aliums. They're probably 8 years old or
so, and the model has changed cosmetically a bit since then.

The pedals still turn without any rough spots, which is good enough
for me.

I did a quick test by moving the dust cap from the good pedal to the
one with it missing, and the pedal stopped sliding across the spindle.
Pretty unusual to have a dust cap so integral to the pedal's design,
but hey, who am I to judge?

I hate tossing stuff, so I'm hoping to find a cadaver to graft from.
With that said I'm overdue for some new cleats, the price of which
almost justifies getting a new set....

FS: TIME ATAC XS mtb pedals $20 Scott Robertson Marketplace 0 September 24th 06 10:55 PM
WTB: Time ATAC XS pedals dfcas Marketplace 0 November 3rd 05 08:37 PM
FS: Time ATAC John Verheul Marketplace 0 September 23rd 05 06:15 PM
SPD / Time ATAC Matt UK 3 May 30th 05 07:58 AM
fs/time atac pedals new $75 maggie Marketplace 0 May 27th 05 01:38 AM