yellow liquid in Torpedo 5-speed gear box

Old July 20th 15, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default yellow liquid in Torpedo 5-speed gear box

Today, or yesterday actually, I disassembled several.
It is very easy. One needs an insect key to loose the
whole thing from the handlebar, and then two Pussy
screwdrivers (or Phillips will do) - one small and one
somewhat bigger.

Inside all them plastic cases was some yellow dry
substance (?). I removed it with a dish brush, and
then put a drop of oil on the center of the gear
handle mechanism, the one that interacts with the wire
bricks, but as it is almost all plastic I don't know
if that is the right thing to do.

Is the yellow stuff in fact the remnants of some
lubricant that is better suited for the purpose?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 20th 15, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 02:33:49 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Is the yellow stuff in fact the remnants of some
lubricant that is better suited for the purpose?

The yellow emulsion a mixture of water and oil in the presence of a
detergent. Somehow, water got into your gear box. It may have been
condensation. Hopefully, it didn't do any damage, but you might want
to drain the gear box, flush with solvent, and inspect the shafts and
teeth for rust damage.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 20th 15, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/19/2015 7:33 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today, or yesterday actually, I disassembled several.
It is very easy. One needs an insect key to loose the
whole thing from the handlebar, and then two Pussy
screwdrivers (or Phillips will do) - one small and one
somewhat bigger.

Inside all them plastic cases was some yellow dry
substance (?). I removed it with a dish brush, and
then put a drop of oil on the center of the gear
handle mechanism, the one that interacts with the wire
bricks, but as it is almost all plastic I don't know
if that is the right thing to do.

Is the yellow stuff in fact the remnants of some
lubricant that is better suited for the purpose?

It's their 'permanent lubrication' goop. It's a good lube
but it dries out eventually just like everything else. No
need to remove it unless dirty, just add oil.

p.s. in re screwdriver:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/WAYWARD.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 20th 15, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...-speed+gearbox
Old July 20th 15, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 8:38:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?site=i...-speed+gearbox

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

0-20 synthetic motor oil ? available ?

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/re...FZWRHwod6DME6w
Old July 20th 15, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/20/2015 7:38 AM, wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...-speed+gearbox

Another comment he

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sachs-in...ml#lubrication

Old July 20th 15, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 07:21:43 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/19/2015 7:33 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today, or yesterday actually, I disassembled several.
It is very easy. One needs an insect key to loose the
whole thing from the handlebar, and then two Pussy
screwdrivers (or Phillips will do) - one small and one
somewhat bigger.

Inside all them plastic cases was some yellow dry
substance (?). I removed it with a dish brush, and
then put a drop of oil on the center of the gear
handle mechanism, the one that interacts with the wire
bricks, but as it is almost all plastic I don't know
if that is the right thing to do.

Is the yellow stuff in fact the remnants of some
lubricant that is better suited for the purpose?

It's their 'permanent lubrication' goop. It's a good lube
but it dries out eventually just like everything else. No
need to remove it unless dirty, just add oil.

Huh? The grease might be yellow, but the stuff I've seen come out of
an automobile oil sump and gearbox is more like a yellow foam. I
couldn't find any photos, but did find this discussion:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50231
I guess(tm) the litmus test is how does the yellow liquid feel? If
it's thin and water-like, then it's water contamination. If it's
thick, sticky, and greasy, then it's a lubricant.

p.s. in re screwdriver:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/WAYWARD.JPG

Now I understand why some safety helmets have a ridge down the middle:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/72626047@N05/17806434114
Old July 20th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/20/2015 10:17 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm familiar with the ecru colored schmutz in engine
oil. You're right it indicates water in the sump. The SRAM
'permanent' lube is a tinted synthetic grease.

Old July 20th 15, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yellow is beyond redumption

blimey its the chain gang

https://www.google.com/#q=phil+wood+...+oil+viscosity

"If you use atf or automotive oil, get a synthetic. It's about four times more tenacious than regular oil."

Phil may know hubs but time passes...

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...rcher-hub.html

BD .... before diode

Old July 20th 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 20/07/15 02:33, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today, or yesterday actually, I disassembled several.
It is very easy. One needs an insect key to loose the
whole thing from the handlebar, and then two Pussy
screwdrivers (or Phillips will do) - one small and one
somewhat bigger.

Inside all them plastic cases was some yellow dry
substance (?). I removed it with a dish brush, and
then put a drop of oil on the center of the gear
handle mechanism, the one that interacts with the wire
bricks, but as it is almost all plastic I don't know
if that is the right thing to do.

Is the yellow stuff in fact the remnants of some
lubricant that is better suited for the purpose?

In the absence of corrosion, my money is on dried grease. If it's
rusted to ****, emulsion.