What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

Old July 30th 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:52:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm, perhaps, being petty but you didn't "come down" with heat
exhaustion in the sense that you came down with the flu, or came down
with whooping ca ugh.

I think the phrase I should have used was "dropped out with".

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old July 30th 19, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 12:13:47 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 3:49:01 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:08:54 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:45:41 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Heat exhaustion, by whatever name can be deadly. When I was at Edwards
AFB, in the Mojave Desert a couple of rock hounds got their jeep
bogged down and decided to walk out to the main road, maybe 2 miles,
at high noon. They didn't make it.

One thing I did do right was to call for help.

Certainly.
The military, not wanting their troops to be dropping dead all over
the campus gave us special training about working in high temperature
and very low humidity areas, and one of the things that they
emphasized was "if you feel bad holler for help" as you can go from
feeling bad to unconscious in a very short time, under certain
conditions.

These heat problems aren't unusual. A seven year old boy I know was recently
on a day care field trip on a hot day. Standing outside in the sun with his
classmates, he suddenly folded up and fainted. They got him out of the sun and
cooled him off with water and ice, and he was perfect within five minutes..

Also, years ago our local high school band was marching and playing for a
local parade on a hot day, wearing full uniforms. As the stood at attention,
first one kid, then about five more in quick succession crumpled to the ground.

It makes me wonder how Americans in the 1800s dealt with the heat and humidity
around here. The fashion was to wear layers and layers of clothing.

- Frank Krygowski

Desert dwellers often wear LOOSE layers of clothing. The movement of the clothing as you walk can be surprisingly cooling. I had a very thick loose fitting velour track pants and top set. When I wore it on a hot/humid day I found that the air moving around under the clothing was quite cooling. I was quite surprised at that. I guess the inner layer holds the sweat and the air movement cools it and t he person wearing the loose clothing.

Cheers
Old July 30th 19, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

And for contrast: I just attended a performance of period music from
this part of Ohio. The performers were both good friends of mine, and
dressed in period clothes. The guy had wool pants, a long sleeved shirt,
a vest and a top hat. The woman had a long dress with a bustle, some
sort of crocheted vest-thing, some kind of crocheted cap and, I assume,
several layers underneath. (We're good friends, but not good enough that
I would be allowed to peek!)

Meanwhile I sat in the audience in shorts, sandals and a seersucker
shirt, fanning myself with the program.

I can only suppose that the 1800s folk in such garb took pains to move
quite slowly.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 31st 19, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Standing outside and fainting is extremely common at military parades.
The Units march into position, stand at attention while some ceremony
is preformed and invariably someone faints, some times several at a
time :-)

The Military attributed it to standing at attention with the legs
straight and stiff and we were taught to stand with the knees flexed
just a tiny bit.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 31st 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

People that actually live in the desert seem to cover up as much as
possible.
Look up "Tuareg" for example.
--
cheers,

John B.

Blowout from heat? Wes Groleau Techniques 89 July 15th 12 06:06 PM
It must be the heat Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 8 July 16th 11 03:50 PM
The Heat is On GoneBeforeMyTime Racing 0 June 19th 10 10:50 PM
Texas heat Cleanbean Mountain Biking 10 March 7th 06 06:51 PM
"It's a dry heat..." [email protected] Mountain Biking 2 June 28th 05 05:57 PM