can['t wear the chain out

Old July 24th 19, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default can['t wear the chain out

On 23/07/2019 22:56, jbeattie wrote:

snip

$30 for f****** link?
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/w...-11-speed-link
Yikes. That's more than my KMC 11sp chain. I've never found any quick
link -- Shimano, KMC, SRAM -- worthless. And in fact, they all work.
The real problem is that they don't work repeatedly according to the
instructions, but since I wash my chain on the bike and don't wax it,
it's no big deal. Plus, in the rare case that I remove and clean a
chain, I do reuse the link. No problems so far. I own the Park pliers
which make removal quick and easy.

I'm convinced the one use clause is for the lawyers. Sure I wouln't
take the link off a totally fscked chain and use it on a new one, but
popping the chain off for some reason and back on shouldn't raise any
issues at all.

Old July 24th 19, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 23/07/2019 9:03 p.m., AK wrote:
On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 10:53:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 12:16:59 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 4:06:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok I have at least 6800 miles on my 11 speed Shimano Ultegra chain. I keep it pretty good take it off after maybe 1000-1500 miles and soak in OMS and such. I don't ride in the rain at least on purpose. The cornfields of Illinois are flat so no real climbs. I measured my chain with machinist rule shows less than 1/16 or close in 1 foot.

I just think keep riding it the bike shifts flawless. But then maybe another voice says, no just put a new chain on they don't last that long something must be amuck. No skipping and I am not a slow rider I general run 50 mile routes at 17-19.5 mph, I no kid at 58, but can chains last that long? Finally I notice I am running Conti GP4000's II and they have 6000 miles on them and not worn out yet.

So would you all put a new chain on I don't see any wear on cassette? I normally get 5K on chains but wow this has me thinking.

BTW the 57 miles this morning even early were brutally hot here. I have drank at least 5 liters of liquid in some form or another and not even had a beer yet....that is coming soon.

Deacon Mark

Ride where I live.

Your chain will be toast after about 3k miles.

You must be a fisherman too with those tall tales.

Andy

What tall tales? No I hate fishing boring stuff. Where to do you live that chains only last 3k. Do you stand to pedal a lot?

Deacon Mark

I live close to Seabrook, Texas.

Hot, humid, lots of wind, road dust, etc.

Andy

Sal****er and sand too IIRC.
Old July 26th 19, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

I might point out that on a oil well drilling rig where a chain drive
might be transmitting 1.000 H.P, or more, nobody changes a chain
"just because", they change it when it is worn :-)

Yabbut look what happens on those things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861DTgJlyr4
Old July 26th 19, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/25/2019 6:14 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I might point out that on a oil well drilling rig where a chain drive
might be transmitting 1.000 H.P, or more, nobody changes a chain
"just because", they change it when it is worn :-)

Yabbut look what happens on those things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861DTgJlyr4

Nary a chain failure among them.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 27th 19, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 21:31:18 -0700 (PDT), incredulous
wrote:

Chain wear:
OP didn’t say what care he took to maintain the chain. I’d like to think that staying out of grit and (somewhat time consuming) maintenance and lubrication could double of triple chain life compared to just lubrication.

But, fair to note that if market competition can drive chain price down to say $25, that you’d rather ride than clean chain, dispose of greasy solvents, and wash your hands afterward for $6/hour.

Well, Amazon currently lists 10 speed chains:
SHIMANO Ultegra CN-6701 Chain - $29.65
Shimano XT 10-Speed Chain CN-HG95 One Color, 10 speed - $25.40

And I believe that minimum salary in California is now $10.00/hour :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 27th 19, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:14:12 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

I might point out that on a oil well drilling rig where a chain drive
might be transmitting 1.000 H.P, or more, nobody changes a chain
"just because", they change it when it is worn :-)

Yabbut look what happens on those things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861DTgJlyr4

Yup and some times the wells blow out and catch fire and a whole heap
of problems. But I might also say that in the approximately 20 years I
worked around drilling rigs in some of the most desolate areas of
S.E.A. I never say any accidents that even approached the difficulties
your movies showed..

And some of the shots show things that almost can't happen at all by
then selves. The early photos where the pipe hanging from the swivel
kicks sideways? What caused that?.

For a bit more rational example of what goes on, on the rig floor.
see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_paK1Qymp8
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 27th 19, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 19:43:45 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/25/2019 6:14 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I might point out that on a oil well drilling rig where a chain drive
might be transmitting 1.000 H.P, or more, nobody changes a chain
"just because", they change it when it is worn :-)

Yabbut look what happens on those things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861DTgJlyr4

Nary a chain failure among them.

You can't see the chain drive as it comes up at the rear of the draw
works - the big blue thing in the background with the cable coming off
it.

Think of how much H.P. you'll need drilling a 10,000 ft hole with 5
inch drill pipe at 19.50 lbs/foot :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 2nd 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 17:43:51 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/20/2019 4:06 PM, wrote:
[...]

An 11 chain at 6800 miles without wear is either a measurement error
or divine intervention.

I'm not going to say it's _not_ divine intervention, but I'd replace
the chain.

Well, Mark *is* a deacon and a jazz musician, so he's got 50/50 chances
of an intervention from one direction or the other. :-D

Chain Wear Jim UK 10 September 19th 07 10:25 PM
Chain Wear Noel UK 12 October 14th 06 07:01 PM
Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear? Friday Techniques 8 May 4th 06 01:19 AM
Chain Wear cirrus Australia 6 January 25th 06 08:06 AM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM