How should I attach this front rack

Old July 23rd 19, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default How should I attach this front rack

On 21/07/2019 17:21, Doug Landau wrote:
When I try to braze the **** just runs away That was on mild steel
tho not bicycle tubing, I haven't tried on bicycle tubing, I guess I
could and practice til I can, but that said:

how should I attach this rack to the head tube, to locate the rear of
the top edge of the rack a few inches in front of the headtube?

https://tinyurl.com/y5dgsg56

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...yABEgI1xfD_BwE

I do think I could drill a hole without spidercracking it, but what
then, other than brazing? Drill it for M4 or M5? Is there stress on
the headtube? Does water already run thru there when it rains?

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped
silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

You should have mentioned that before I threw that rack in the bin as
being impossible to mount with the supplied fittings and instructions.
Last Blackburn I'll ever buy.
Old July 23rd 19, 08:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:21:33 -0700, Doug Landau wrote:

Forget this sillyness and just put one of those ubiquitous L-shaped
silvery slotted soft steel strips under the brake mount nut?

As the third mount; yes. BTDT with similar rack.

Old July 25th 19, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

As Andrew said, you don't want to braze or weld to the head tube unless you want
to give up steering.

Er... uh ...ya!

I remembered that shortly after clicking 'post' haha
Thank you
A silvery soft steel slotted strip it will be.
Old July 25th 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

You don't want to be hacking something for a front rack like that. If the rack comes loose or the fitting breaks (having NOT been designed for the rack) there could be a rather nasty accident.

So here is what I did. I did nothing for another day. And rode the bike. With the front rack unloaded as well as un-located. With no helmet. Downhill. What a maroon. Well you know what I'm going to say next. The down in downhill - and the bumps - going a good clip 20mph - resulted in the front rack rotating forward and going under the contact patch, and taking the planet bike front fender with it, and making a lot of the kind of noise that you hear just before your head hits the pavement, and locking up the front wheel.
Except I stayed upright :-)
So I got away with it for only $30-$100: ruining the front fender and possibly the rack. Think I'll go back to wearing a helmet.

Old July 25th 19, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/kfbj2.jpg

Oh wow, kool! That gives an idea - I might be able to do much better than a P-clamp on a fork leg using a block of plastic, drilled at an angle, then sawed in half, then the resultant semicircular slot in each have ovalised with a file.

Old July 25th 19, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

You could drill a larger hole with a radius similar to the side curvature of your fork legs, then cut away enough of the center to leave a lenticular hole in the clamp.
Old July 25th 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 2:30:48 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Yow.

A helmet isn't going to solve problems like that.

The front wheel and front fork of a bike is a critical component. You can't let
ANYTHING mess with them. That's what I told one prominent local rider after
he tied his jacket around his handlebar, then went down when a sleeve dangled
into his front spokes.

The front fork is also critical. Hence this warning:
https://gearjunkie.com/cannondale-ca...bicycle-recall

- Frank Krygowski

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 25th 19, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:47:30 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Hey, speaking of forks, I just got this in my in-box:

"Thank you for registering your Cannondale CAADX bicycle with us so that we can keep you informed of important information regarding your bicycle.

At Cannondale, we know that our riders demand the highest levels of performance, quality, and safety, under the most challenging riding conditions, and we hold ourselves and Cannondale products to that standard.

Today we are announcing a recall of the forks on Model Year 2013-2016 CAADX aluminum cyclocross bikes equipped with disc brakes. We are working to get you an upgraded replacement fork as soon as possible. If you own one of these recalled bicycles, please stop using the bicycle and contact your local Cannondale dealer so they can order and install a free upgraded (full carbon) replacement fork.

For further information on the recall and how to determine if your CAADX bicycle is affected please review:
Recall Notice
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Recall Notice
Health Canada Recall Notice"

This is the notice: https://tinyurl.com/y4h2d939

The good news is that my warranty replacement frame has a later fork that is not part of the recall (I just went down to the rack and checked).

More coverage: https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019...ocross-recall/ A death and multiple injuries, but the report indicates "Cannondale and several independent groups did testing bicycles [sic] and didn’t find a defect in the forks but Cannondale is offering riders free upgraded replacement forks."

The notice indicates that Taiwan is the country of manufacture.

-- Jay Beattie

Anyone put a bike with a FRONT rack onto a bus? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 4 September 26th 18 12:51 AM
Diy Front Rack Mounts? fenderbender Techniques 9 May 5th 09 10:00 AM
bromton front rack cas UK 5 April 24th 07 09:21 PM
Showa Front Bag Rack [email protected] Techniques 6 August 17th 06 11:30 AM
Stratus Front Rack M. Chandler Recumbent Biking 0 November 15th 04 04:46 PM