Start celebrating early: A great man's birthday on 27 July

Old July 31st 19, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Start celebrating early: A great man's birthday on 27 July

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 14:39:25 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 06:30:19 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 11:45:12 +0700, John B. wrote:

But Thomas? Why, Thomas knows everything. He evens knows (and has told
us) that a jack handle is really a "crowbar".

Functionally, they are equivalent. Both are levers relying on a fulcrum
to move stuff.

Sorry for the double reply but temptation overcomes me.

Using your thesis a mule and a John Deer tractor are functionally
equivalent as they are both used to pull a plow, but I can assure you
that in the real world, although neither can procreate, they really are
entirely different.

But horses for courses, or an approrpiate tool for various uses.

In very general terms one of them produces
fertilizer while the other produces smog. :-)

One of them is open source & user friedln and the other is closed source
and non-friendly.

Interestingly, I have and or have used(rauilway lever) all the variatins
ofa a crowbar in my tool box and life. root grubbing is the one task i
refush to ever repeat again.

Old July 31st 19, 06:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 11:45:12 +0700, John B. wrote:

But Thomas? Why, Thomas knows everything. He evens knows (and has told
us) that a jack handle is really a "crowbar".

Functionally, they are equivalent. Both are levers relying on a fulcrum
to move stuff.

Sorry for the double reply but temptation overcomes me.

Using your thesis a mule and a John Deer tractor are functionally
equivalent as they are both used to pull a plow, but I can assure you
that in the real world, although neither can procreate, they really are
entirely different.

But horses for courses, or an approrpiate tool for various uses.

Ah but only in England :-)

In very general terms one of them produces
fertilizer while the other produces smog. :-)

One of them is open source & user friedln and the other is closed source
and non-friendly.

Interestingly, I have and or have used(rauilway lever) all the variatins
ofa a crowbar in my tool box and life. root grubbing is the one task i
refush to ever repeat again.

Well, what does one do? The tree blew down and it is either grub the
roots out or the lawn will be a mess and the wife says that if
somebody doesn't give her some shopping money nobody eats next week.

It's either grub the roots out yourself or give your beer money to
some bloke to do it for you....

And if you don't make at least one night down tha pub the lads will
say that your Missus won't give you money for beer...

Decisions! Decisions!

--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 1st 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:39:36 +0700, John B. wrote:

Well, what does one do? The tree blew down and it is either grub the
roots out or the lawn will be a mess

Time fixes that. Leave the stump tall enough and for a long time, the
roots will rot out and you'll easily be able to just push it over. BTDT.

Old August 1st 19, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 10:13:01 AM UTC-4, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:39:36 +0700, John B. wrote:

Well, what does one do? The tree blew down and it is either grub the
roots out or the lawn will be a mess

Time fixes that. Leave the stump tall enough and for a long time, the
roots will rot out and you'll easily be able to just push it over. BTDT.

+1.

We had a willow tree die at the back of our lot, up against the woods. I
procrastinated about cutting down the dead trunk, and eventually it fell
on its own. Then I procrastinated about digging out the stump.

Last week, after a couple years of procrastination, I went out there with a
pick-mattock and a spud bar. Turns out I could have done the job with a hand
trowel. The stump and roots were a reddish colored crumbly mess. I dug the
bulk of it out with ease, and told my wife she can pick another tree to plant
there.

Sometimes procrastination is your friend.

= Frank Krygowski
Old August 1st 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 14:12:58 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:39:36 +0700, John B. wrote:

Well, what does one do? The tree blew down and it is either grub the
roots out or the lawn will be a mess

Time fixes that. Leave the stump tall enough and for a long time, the
roots will rot out and you'll easily be able to just push it over. BTDT.

True, but a good maple stump will last a long time. Of course, stumps
sticking up all over the yard are a pretty good excuse not to mow the
lawn :-)
--
cheers,

John B.