Two front or back?

Old July 22nd 05, 02:26 AM
Dan B.

Mike Rice wrote:
snip

PS-It must have been a while since Ed saw me. Except for one winter my
beard has been gone for thirty years now.

I think there may be some misunderstandings being promoted here; while
you may THINK that you have been beardless for years, only your cheeks
have been bare. Your soul is obviously still bearded, as Mr. Dolan has
so capably discerned.

The bearded soul of a recumbent rider is indeed a repulsive thing; the
bearded face, on the other hand, is merely mildly distasteful at worst.
(Dependent on the number of insects that have become entangled in the
follicles, of course!)

Best,

Dan

Old July 22nd 05, 03:40 AM
Jeff Grippe

"Dan B." wrote in message
ups.com...

The bearded soul of a recumbent rider is indeed a repulsive thing; the
bearded face, on the other hand, is merely mildly distasteful at worst.
(Dependent on the number of insects that have become entangled in the
follicles, of course!)

Hmmm. I never had my soul checked out. My soul might in fact be bearded even
while my face remains void of hair. There could be all sorts of other
dimensional bugs caught in my soul-beard.

Y'know Dan, I really didn't need one more thing to worry about.

Can those people who claim to read aura's tell me if my soul is bearded?

Old July 22nd 05, 06:27 AM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

What makes you think anyone cares about that. Not even I care about that.

Well you seem to care enough to respond. If you don't care don't respond.

You are correct that I didn't have anything particularly profound to say
at this juncture. Not everything one says must be profound. Sometimes you
just want to call a jerk, a jerk. Nuff said!

No matter how brief my response I always mange to say something substantial.
That is my hallmark and why I am Great and why others like you who merely
hurl insults are midgets and dwarfs. You have become like upyerbumbum
Slugger. He likes to tell others to go **** themselves too, just like you. I
hope you will be happy with your new found companion.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 22nd 05, 06:41 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
[...]
Mr. Dolan writes in mysterious ways, it is not for us commoners to
understand all.

Mike

PS-It must have been a while since Ed saw me. Except for one winter my
beard has been gone for thirty years now.

A bit of youthful experimentation is forgivable and I do not hold that
against you. But an elderly man tottering on the brink of the grave should
not be sporting a beard. Jeff has finally wised up, but I think Jon Meinecke
and Larry Varney are unrepentant and persist in their obstinacy. They will
most likely die with their beards on, but their survivors will want them to
be clean shaven as they are lying in their caskets on display for all the
world to see. We elderly recumbent cyclists need to be thinking on these
things and not be reliving our teenage years.

Beards are for savages and third world peoples who cannot access civilized
amenities. Thus spake Zarathustra.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 22nd 05, 11:27 AM
Dan B.

Jeff Grippe wrote:
snip
Hmmm. I never had my soul checked out. My soul might in fact be bearded even
while my face remains void of hair. There could be all sorts of other
dimensional bugs caught in my soul-beard.

Y'know Dan, I really didn't need one more thing to worry about.

Can those people who claim to read aura's tell me if my soul is bearded?

Possibly, but only the non-l!beral ones can be trusted to tell you the
truth...

Old July 22nd 05, 11:31 AM
Dan B.

Edward Dolan wrote:
snip
Beards are for savages and third world peoples who cannot access civilized
amenities. Thus spake Zarathustra.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

So, bicycle tourists lacking access to civilized amenities can be
forgiven, then?

(I ask because I have found nigh-uncontrollable problems with pedal
steer when I attempt to shave while riding my LWB...)

Best,
Dan

Old July 22nd 05, 02:59 PM
What Me Worry?

"James B. Andrews" wrote in message

I own a Penninger Voyager and so does my wife...

I broke my leg last Aug 6th when I was riding my Rans Stratus and hit
a curb. I was NOT wearing any device to attach my feet to the pedals
and when my heal hit the curb, it came off the pedal, got sucked under
and my was broken..

While recuperating I researched going to a trike. I suffer from the
effects of having Transverse Myelitis and my lower legs and feet are
partially paralyzed. I rode the EZ 3 and a Penninger Traveler and
ordered a Penninger Voyager and,,,,,, I LOVE IT!!!! I chose the
Penninger because it is built MUCH better than the EZ 3.. The
Penninger is built like a watch and built like a tank... I can't walk
very well or for very long and my Penninger lets me go almost
everywhere...

I brought it home and my wife rode it for about 200 feet, turned
around and said "I want one,,, now". 4 days later she took delivery
of her trike and loves it... We try to do at least one 15 - 20 mile
ride a week. When she works on the weekend she rides her trike to work
and takes it inside the building and parks it in back of her in her
cubicle.

The trikes have opened a whole new world of enjoyment for both of
us... For instance, near our house is a road about 5 miles long that
has a river and old trees on one side and old homes and farms on the
other and,,, because of it's location, there is almost no traffic on
it. Last Sunday we went for a ride there, riding at about 5 MPH, side
by side, looking at the leaves turning. We talked to some walkers,
picked up some leaves, looked at some swans, not geese, swans, found a
old deserted factory, watched some people fly fishing, looked at some
beautiful homes and finally talked with and petted two horses... We
rode for about 2 1/2 hours and covered about 10 miles... It was
delightful!!!! We never got off the trikes...

On one of our rides we met a man who was a machinist at a college. I
asked just what a machinist at a college does and he said he worked in
the research department making mechanical devices, usually one of, and
other dies and fixtures. He looked at my trike and then lifted the
front end and looked at the underside. After several minutes he said,
"This was made by a real craftsman,,, Looks like a lot of this was
made on CNC machines. This should last you for ever"...

One last thought,,, order it with Power Grips.. I would't ride
without them...

Any Questions - Just Ask..

Jim Andrews Columbus/Phoenix

Jim, that is a wonderful story. This is exactly what I had imagined that
Penninger designs their trikes to do: Provide fun, comfortable, relaxing,
practical, reliable, durable transportation for lazily gazing at the
beautiful trees on a fall day, for hauling groceries, or for a embarking on
a tour of the US.

So far, my wife has resisted recumbents. The first ride she took on my old
LWB/USS bike years ago ended in disaster. She won't touch my SWB/OSS bike
(frankly, I don't blame her). Maybe it's time for me to introduce her to a
delta trike. Thanks for the idea, Jim.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:18:01 +0100, Loft wrote:

wrote...

Gentlemen - thank you so much for taking the trouble to make such
comprehensive replies. I now feel much more knowledgeable than I did. I
was already inclining towards the delta configuration, and am perhaps a
little reinforced in that attitude now. I'm 70+ and ease of getting on
and off is and will become more so a real consideration. The Kettweisel
looks a nice thing - the Lepus probably a little too hefty for my needs
although I'm 6'4" and weigh 220 lbs which is maybe another thing to be
borne carefully in mind. What a lovely thing the new titanium Kettweisel
must be!!! Impossibly expensive of course.

Old July 22nd 05, 03:03 PM
Edward Dolan

"Dan B." wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
snip
Beards are for savages and third world peoples who cannot access
civilized
amenities. Thus spake Zarathustra.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

So, bicycle tourists lacking access to civilized amenities can be
forgiven, then?

(I ask because I have found nigh-uncontrollable problems with pedal
steer when I attempt to shave while riding my LWB...)

Best,
Dan

Yes, it is just barely permissible to go for a week without shaving if you
are on a bicycle tour. I will admit I look like a bum after 2 days without
shaving. I call it my Arafat look. But it is better if you at least shave
every other day at the minimum. The two things I always have to do when on a
bike tour is to wash my hands frequently and to shave at least every other
day. Then I feel clean and civilized and prepared to meet the world.

I have been on bike tours where some are obsessed with cleanliness and make
a royal nuisance of themselves because of it. They caterwaul about hot
showers until it makes you want to throw up. Others are just the opposite.
They go for the entire week without shaving and end up looking very scruffy.
Surely there is a happy medium. You are not ever going to look like you
stepped out of a band box on a bicycle tour, but one needn't end up looking
like a bum either.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 22nd 05, 04:43 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

I have been on bike tours where some are obsessed with cleanliness and
make a royal nuisance of themselves because of it. They caterwaul about
hot showers until it makes you want to throw up. Others are just the
opposite. They go for the entire week without shaving and end up looking
very scruffy. Surely there is a happy medium.

Have you tried introducing them to the Yak Fat (tm) concept? I will grant
you that like my good self, many recumbent riders will not feel the need to
carry extra fat even if it is the miracle Yak Fat (tm). The Yak Fat (tm)
won't help for the bearded crowd, however. There are just some things you
can't get through to people no matter how hard you try. But why am I telling
you this?

I understand that Yak Fat (tm) is available as a liquid. Maybe you could put
some in a spray bottle and spray it on your fellow riders when they aren't
looking. I'm sure that is wondrous effects should be felt fairly quickly.
You can then take credit and be a hero to your fellow riders just like you
are already a hero to this NG.

You could have a whole Yak Fat (tm) business complete with website. This is
another one of those ideas that I wish I'd thought of. Ah well.

Old July 22nd 05, 06:52 PM
Dan B.

Jeff Grippe wrote:
snip

Have you tried introducing them to the Yak Fat (tm) concept? I will grant
you that like my good self, many recumbent riders will not feel the need to
carry extra fat even if it is the miracle Yak Fat (tm). The Yak Fat (tm)
won't help for the bearded crowd, however.

Actually, usage of any fat-based topical products would strongly
mandate against beard-wearing. Cleaning bugs out of a dry beard is
unpleasant; clearing out fat-drenched bugs would be a sojourn in the
blackest pits of H3ll...

In the case of Yak Fat, note that the original users thereof (Tibetans,
if I recall correctly) tend to have sparse facial hair. I leave it as
an exercise to the reader to determine if this is the cause of, or an
effect of, Yak Fat utilization.

Best,
Dan