jockey wheel position

Old July 22nd 05, 08:40 PM
geepeetee

Default jockey wheel position

Hi

I am building a swb recumbent to the hss 1 design. I need to position a
jockey or idler wheel to lift the return side of the chain clear of the
front wheel.

I plan to use a two cog chain wheel, where is the jockey wheel best
positioned, the way i see it there are two options:

1. in line with the largest chain wheel which will be used most

2. positioned in between the two front sprockets.

advice appreciated

Gary

Old July 23rd 05, 01:29 PM
Ohio Jerry

"geepeetee" wrote in message
Hi

I am building a swb recumbent to the hss 1 design. I need to position a
jockey or idler wheel to lift the return side of the chain clear of the
front wheel.

I plan to use a two cog chain wheel, where is the jockey wheel best
positioned, the way i see it there are two options:

1. in line with the largest chain wheel which will be used most

2. positioned in between the two front sprockets.

advice appreciated

Gary

The setup on the EZ-3 trike seems to work well.
The shaft for the idler is about 3/4 inch longer than the
width of the idler pulley. This allows the idler to slide side to side
on the shaft and aline itself with whichever chainwheel has the
chain on it.

Jerry