Century, Brevet, and Long Distance Touring Saddle - Suggestions?

Old May 15th 06, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Century, Brevet, and Long Distance Touring Saddle - Suggestions?

Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I know that his has been discussed before but there doesn't seem to be
a clear consensus. I guess that everybody's butt is different! It is
also hard to sort out saddle models that are still available from
those that aren't.

I am interested in doing long distance riding and need a saddle to be
comfortable and stable for long periods of time in hot, sticky, sweaty
weather. I also tend to ride in a more upright position due to lack of
flexibility which causes more weight to be put on my posterior. The
bar height and saddle height are about the same. I also weigh about
155 lbs. so don't fall into the clydesdale category

I currently am riding a Leper Voyager leather saddle that until
recently was the most comfortable I've ridden to date. However lately
it is showing its age and unfortunately its ability to stretch and
change shape due to perspiration has lowered its usefullness as a long
distance saddle. For this reason I would like to look at other
alternatives than leather even though the Brooks crowd may be
disappointed.

I don't really think I need or want much padding as this would likely
be the thing to fail first leaving my sit bones on top of an
unforgiving hard plastic shell. Despite what Dustin Hoffman said in
the movie, plastics aren't forever. As many have mentioned too much
padding also puts pressure where it shouldn't be.

However, I do want and need something to isolate my back side from the
bumps of the cheap tar and gravel secondary roads that I spend a lot
of time riding on. For this the shell or the base of the saddle has to
flex. After reading the archives where someone mentioned liking WTB
saddles, I saw at some of these saddles at the local REI store this
afternoon. Much to my surprise some of the more expensive ones
actually had a flexible shell which may explain why the poster liked
them.

After a century ride this Saturday I asked to to ride a buddy's
Specialized Toupe around the parking lot. Even with my somewhat sore
back side it seemed pretty good. It doesn't have much padding but
appears to have enough flex to absorb some of the bumps.
Unfortunately, at $150 the price is kind of steep. Do any of you have
experience with this particular saddle or any of the other entrants in
the Specialized line?

I am planning on stopping by the bike shop on the way home from work
tomorrow to try out the Specialized ass-o-meter so maybe I can help at
least with the saddle width parameter which may provide or remove
alternatives.

Thanks,

Steve

I have been racing/riding on Flites for years, but only on the track
and in criteriums - nothing longer than an hour or so. I have done
training rides of up to 3 or 4 hours, and while it was ok, it was not
optimal for comfort.

I bought a San Marco Rolls Titanium - harder to find, but still out
there. This is as close to an "all day long" saddle as I have found to
fit me and my backside. I am a big guy at 6 foot 2 inches and 220
pounds, and the width/padding is perfect. I have recently done a 5
hour plus ride and had no problems.

I also have the old-style Turbo saddles on my fixed gear and my nasty
weather bike and they feel much more comfortable than my flite for
longer riding.

Anyone want to buy a nice, low mile Flite saddle?

Greg Wood

Old May 15th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Greg wrote:
Steve Sr. wrote:
[...]

The classic steel railed Rolls is easy to find for under $50, and
indeed a comfy classic. I almost got another when I lucked upon my
current Selle Bassano Vuelta, which is sort of feels like a Rolls in
the back and a Flite in the front. :-P