Chimney Gulch was fun, except...

Old July 3rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to alt.music.rush,alt.mountain-bike

Default Chimney Gulch was fun, except...

.....I didn't go to the top, I didn't go past "Windy Saddle Park", which
was quite stunning views of HWY58 heading into the mountains (a valley)
about 1 mile below (a mile drop), and this was quite the view. I stood
and stared at it for 5 minutes. It was going to rain so I didn't goto
the top, and my front brakes were completely gone, I had no front
brakes yet romped this trail and the rock gardens. I am Superman and
don't you forget it. Muwhahaha....

But seriously, my brake pads were worn down to the point where an
adjustment had to be made to have brakes, where when I left I had some
braking action there. After starting down from Windy Saddle Park at
Lookout Mountain Road, I braked on some switchbacks, and that wore the
brake pads down to zilch, of which an adjustment had to be made to get
the pads to clasp the rotar, and until I did that no front brakes, woo
hoo...

So, the rock gardens on this trail, were a little mean, but not as mean
as Apex if I remember correctly, and one is on a switchback, and that's
amazing to me that rock gardens are switchbacks too, and that's
extremely dangerous and difficult to clear without dismounting and
hike-a-biking, of which I had to do, but I did it after riding the
first part of the switchback, and where I couldn't make the turn on the
rocks due to not being able to do a high speed 30 degree turn, which
you have ot have high speed to clear rocks, the ability to do high
speed sharp turns on rocks is fatal inducing, unless you're damn good.
Or you can do track-stands, which I cannot do, because my bike weighs a
ton. So, where I thought I'd wus out, and hike-a-bike the rock gardens,
I didn't, even without front brakes, I cleared them all, except for the
rock-garden switchback.

I'm confused though, I thought the 1st mile of the course uphill was
the toughest, and the data provision off of TrailCentral says it is,
but then says later that the top half is the toughest. I always have
disagreement with the ratings, I don't know who did them, but I bet it
was a weezer with a full suspension so everything rated is
full-suspension rated. Mnt Falcon I think is tougher than Chimney
Gulch, due to the very very tight quarters of waterlogs, jumps, rock
gardens and wicked 30 degree switchbacks. All the times I crashed on
Mnt Falcon it was due to trying to take it at high speed, like the
downhillers do. Boy the scenery of HWY58 going into the
mountains/valley was paralyzing.

Chos had about 15 people on spy detail, and sent a guy that I swear was
62 years old. I'm beginning to think this is the same old guy I saw
last year on Dakota Ridge. He is old, totally gray hair, and he's been
doing this awhile. He went right by me (climbing uphill), and
embarrassed me like I was a beginner. Chos also sent 3 guys, two older
men (late 50s) and they were riding Wal-Mart bikes, and all 3 of them
did not have a helmet, and this was a tribute to me, Chos was playing
with my thoughts, and Chos knew I would know they sent these guys. But
they went so slow downhill. Pretty funny. If you guys are looking for a
view to take your breath away, take Lookout Mountain Road to Windy
Saddle Park and you'll see the stone & wood guardrail right by the
sign, it's almost a patio, and look west (That's for you non-MTBers).
http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/tr...o.php?trail=99

About This Trail: This trail rises steeply from Highway 6 in Golden, to
the top of Lookout Mountain. Along the way, there are many switchbacks
and other areas of the trail where you can be exposed to significant
dropoffs. Please be careful, especially on the downhill! Once you're at
the top of Lookout Mountain, you have the option of following the
trails to Apex Park. There are several tourist attractions up top,
including; Buffalo Bill's Grave, and the Boettcher Mansion.

Trail Description: From the parking lot, the trail steeply rises into
Chimney Gulch. The first mile is the steepest, so be prepared! After
this first mile, the trail crosses Lookout Mountain Road. Some people
prefer to park at this junction in order to avoid the steep lower mile.
From here, the trail follows Chimney Gulch for 1.5 miles to another

junction with Lookout Mountain Road at the Windy Saddle. Cross to the
west side of the road, and hop onto the trail again. 1/4 mile from the
road, the trail forks. To the right is for hikers only, so take a left.
Follow this trail for another mile until you reach the Lookout Mountain
Nature Center at the top. From here, you can either follow the trail
down the other side of the mountain and reach Apex Park, or descend
back to your car.

Old July 3rd 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.music.rush,alt.mountain-bike

LIBERATOR wrote:
....I didn't go to the top, I didn't go past "Windy Saddle Park", which
was quite stunning views of HWY58 heading into the mountains (a valley)
about 1 mile below (a mile drop), and this was quite the view. I stood
and stared at it for 5 minutes. It was going to rain so I didn't goto
the top, and my front brakes were completely gone, I had no front
brakes yet romped this trail and the rock gardens. I am Superman and
don't you forget it. Muwhahaha....

That's funny. I could have sworn I rode by you under an overpass by
Confluence Park yesterday. You even smiled and waived. How do you get
that shopping cart up and down the trails?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old July 3rd 06, 07:14 PM posted to alt.music.rush,alt.mountain-bike

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Back, back, BACK in my killfile, "crosspost-to-Libby-a-lot"!

--
Blame Britney Spears and her horribly disgusting vagina.
Old July 3rd 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.music.rush,alt.mountain-bike

That's funny. I could have sworn I rode by you under an overpass by
Confluence Park yesterday. You even smiled and waived. How do you get
that shopping cart up and down the trails?

--
o-o-o-o Tard-A-Lot o-o-o-o

Die, crossposting scum
..
--

Jim Geiger is what Willis was talkin' 'bout.

Old July 3rd 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.music.rush,alt.mountain-bike

LIBERATOR wrote:

But Ridey, I don't ride paved trails for road bikers, only you do that,

Paved trails are for FREDS!

Here's a ride for you. My old training ride. Put some 1.5 semi slicks
on your mtn. bike. I prefer Avocet Cross-K's. Take 20th out to Denver

West, cut over to 32nd after you cross I-70. Take 32nd to Washington
and turn North. Head to 93 and White Ranch. Ride up Belcher to the
west entrance. Head out west entrance to Crawford Gulch Rd.
Go South on CG Road to Golden Gate Canyon Rd. Have fun descending
on fatty tires to 93 and back to golden and then ride home.

Should take you about 3.5 hrs. from downtown.

Old July 5th 06, 06:00 AM posted to alt.music.rush,alt.mountain-bike

CowPunk wrote:
LIBERATOR wrote:

But Ridey, I don't ride paved trails for road bikers, only you do that,

Paved trails are for FREDS!

Here's a ride for you. My old training ride. Put some 1.5 semi slicks
on your mtn. bike. I prefer Avocet Cross-K's. Take 20th out to Denver

West, cut over to 32nd after you cross I-70. Take 32nd to Washington
and turn North. Head to 93 and White Ranch. Ride up Belcher to the
west entrance. Head out west entrance to Crawford Gulch Rd.
Go South on CG Road to Golden Gate Canyon Rd. Have fun descending
on fatty tires to 93 and back to golden and then ride home.

Should take you about 3.5 hrs. from downtown.

Wow, that's crazy distance. You're doing this on a road bike correct?

Old July 6th 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.music.rush,alt.mountain-bike

LIBERATOR wrote:

Wow, that's crazy distance. You're doing this on a road bike correct?

No, Mtn Bike with 1.5 Avocet Cross-K's
They climb much better than you might think,
just keep your butt in the saddle.

I used to climb the hogback with these also.
3 loops up Green Mtn., then Redrocks to Mathews,
over the hogback, then home.