A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 9th 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,821
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 2019-09-08 23:21, Chalo wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow
tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it.
Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.


I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves,
except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better,
less fault-prone tube.

It confounds me to come up with a rational explanation for why the
recent crop of big wide rims (including fatbike rims) are mostly
drilled for Presta valves.


It's most likely because of standardization. Many small portable pumps
cannot or can only with difficulty be converted to Schrader.

Doesn't matter to me because I never had a valve failure with either
Schrader or Presta. Rummaging around and cleaning the garage in a few
spare minutes yesterday I would a mushroom-shaped furniture panel
connector made from hollow aluminum. Should be easy to make a nice
adapter plug from that and rivet it into the hole. I just have to find a
suitable glue to hold it in place. The E6000 I ordered for another
purpose (shoe repair) is still more than a week off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Ads
  #12  
Old September 9th 19, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.


I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is a
significant advantage, but being French, I can assure you that Presta
valves are better by definition. ;-)

--
Tanguy
  #13  
Old September 9th 19, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.


I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is one
significant advantage, but being French, I can also assure you that in
general, Presta valves are better by definition. ;-)

--
Tanguy
  #14  
Old September 9th 19, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,821
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.


I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is one
significant advantage, ...



Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the rim.


... but being French, I can also assure you that in
general, Presta valves are better by definition. ;-)


Just like French Brie cheese for which there is IMHO no substitute :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #15  
Old September 9th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,700
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 9/9/2019 12:33 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that
Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way
to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count
your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.


I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta
valves is one
significant advantage, ...



Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the
rim.


... but being French, I can also assure you
that in
general, Presta valves are better by definition. ;-)


Just like French Brie cheese for which there is IMHO no
substitute :-)



https://www.cheeseandburger.com/wisconsincheeses/brie

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #16  
Old September 9th 19, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,821
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 2019-09-09 10:40, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/9/2019 12:33 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that
Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way
to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count
your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.

I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta
valves is one
significant advantage, ...



Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the
rim.


... but being French, I can also assure you
that in
general, Presta valves are better by definition. ;-)


Just like French Brie cheese for which there is IMHO no
substitute :-)



https://www.cheeseandburger.com/wisconsincheeses/brie


I've tried Brie from all sorts of reputable domestic sources, including
some from WI. I does not compare. Maybe the reason are our
pasteurization laws which I find exaggerated.

The best Brie and Camembert can only be enjoyed in Europe, preferably in
France. The kind when you temporarily and literally lose your breath for
a second or two after biting down.

When you move from one country or continent to another there is always
something you'll sorely miss. Works in both directions. For example, try
to find really good bacon in Europe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #17  
Old September 9th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,598
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 9/9/2019 1:33 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves,
except for their diameter.* Count your blessings and use a better,
less fault-prone tube.


I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is one
significant advantage, ...



Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the rim.


Does anyone have an incident where a valve hole caused a failure in a rim?

A bike rim is in compression. Other stresses are small, unless one hits
a heck of a bump.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #18  
Old September 9th 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 824
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 07:24:22 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 2019-09-08 23:21, Chalo wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow
tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it.
Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.


I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves,
except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better,
less fault-prone tube.

It confounds me to come up with a rational explanation for why the
recent crop of big wide rims (including fatbike rims) are mostly
drilled for Presta valves.


It's most likely because of standardization. Many small portable pumps
cannot or can only with difficulty be converted to Schrader.

Doesn't matter to me because I never had a valve failure with either
Schrader or Presta. Rummaging around and cleaning the garage in a few
spare minutes yesterday I would a mushroom-shaped furniture panel
connector made from hollow aluminum. Should be easy to make a nice
adapter plug from that and rivet it into the hole. I just have to find a
suitable glue to hold it in place. The E6000 I ordered for another
purpose (shoe repair) is still more than a week off.


Other than holding the adapter in place when changing a tire there is
no need to glue it in place as the valve stem will hold it in place
quite satisfactorily.
--
cheers,

John B.

  #19  
Old September 10th 19, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,821
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 2019-09-09 15:36, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 07:24:22 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 2019-09-08 23:21, Chalo wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow
tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it.
Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves,
except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better,
less fault-prone tube.

It confounds me to come up with a rational explanation for why the
recent crop of big wide rims (including fatbike rims) are mostly
drilled for Presta valves.


It's most likely because of standardization. Many small portable pumps
cannot or can only with difficulty be converted to Schrader.

Doesn't matter to me because I never had a valve failure with either
Schrader or Presta. Rummaging around and cleaning the garage in a few
spare minutes yesterday I would a mushroom-shaped furniture panel
connector made from hollow aluminum. Should be easy to make a nice
adapter plug from that and rivet it into the hole. I just have to find a
suitable glue to hold it in place. The E6000 I ordered for another
purpose (shoe repair) is still more than a week off.


Other than holding the adapter in place when changing a tire there is
no need to glue it in place as the valve stem will hold it in place
quite satisfactorily.



That's the main reason, not losing it when changing a tire. It's so easy
to forget about that little thing and then I may have to make a new one.

I might be able to widen the outside a bit with a punch which would also
hold it in place. Sort of a poor man's riveting job.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #20  
Old September 10th 19, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,821
Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 2019-09-09 15:16, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/9/2019 1:33 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-09-09 08:15, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Chalo, 2019-09-09 08:21+0200:
I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder
valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a
better, less fault-prone tube.

I cannot agree with that. The small diameter of Presta valves is one
significant advantage, ...



Yes, less compromise in the integrity and sturdiness of the rim.


Does anyone have an incident where a valve hole caused a failure in a rim?

A bike rim is in compression. Other stresses are small, unless one hits
a heck of a bump.


Which one occasionally does after passing a sign "Pavement Ends" or when
it's California roads which often look worse than Romanian roads.
Potholes galore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual valve floor pump only pushes air out the Schrader valve hole Brad Ford Techniques 19 November 25th 18 04:15 AM
Presta vs. Schrader Joy Beeson Techniques 13 July 4th 13 07:28 PM
presta valve in a schrader wheel! Mark Cleary[_2_] Techniques 9 May 28th 10 07:16 AM
Schrader? Presta? Bah! Elegant G&J valve [email protected] Techniques 1 March 3rd 10 10:34 PM
Presta to Schrader Mister2u Techniques 16 September 8th 08 07:26 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.