bike lights

Old February 9th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

Default bike lights

wrote:
On Feb 8, 7:02 pm, "ilaboo" wrote:
finally had an oppurtunity to watch a biker with one of those flashing red
leds at night on a rural road--biker had on one of those fluroresent jackets
and no reflectors on pedals ( i consister them a must have)

i imagined i was in a car

the flashing lights i would have found distracting
the jacket i could not make out what it was as biker had one of those
handlebars you can lean on

i would have never i repeat ever ride on this road--we had a hit and run
bike accident this summer

biker probably knew about it as he/she was heading over bridge to city
island and all there would have heard about it.

there was a bike path where i would have ridden

biker i am convienced was trying to commit suicide

led lights where visable for a mile--but not sure they would have made a
difference--road had tons of curves on it and i would have been distracted
looking at them

anyway just some comments

peter
ps i have one of those flashing led lights

peter

He just might have had a rear view mirror (like I do) and been
watching you, thinking, why doesn't that clown just pass me, instead
of hanging back like he's waiting to find a place where he can cream
me.

Lewis.

*****

Possibly because it was all imagination?

"i imagined i was in a car"
Old February 9th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On Feb 9, 2:09 pm, John Kane wrote:
ilaboo wrote:
finally had an oppurtunity to watch a biker with one of those flashing red
leds at night on a rural road--biker had on one of those fluroresent jackets
and no reflectors on pedals ( i consister them a must have)

i imagined i was in a car

--------clip----
peter

I think the best idea is to actually try it in a car.

Wait - you want "ilaboo" to drive? Sounds dangerous to me.
Old February 10th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
I ride in nasty conditions frequently (as frequently as Northern
California allows, which fortunately isn't all that often, to be
truthful), and haven't had issues with cars....

Should have been here (Cheese Land) this week for nasty conditions.

I *was* there.

I left.

Deep snow ruts temporarily lift cars off the road and send them sideways
several feet at a time. Then after the streets are plowed, the temperature
drops and the salt slush freezes into a thin, nearly invisible layer.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 10th 08, 09:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
I ride in nasty conditions frequently (as frequently as Northern California
allows, which fortunately isn't all that often, to be truthful), and
haven't
had issues with cars....

Should have been here (Cheese Land) this week for nasty conditions. Deep
snow ruts temporarily lift cars off the road and send them sideways
several feet at a time. Then after the streets are plowed, the
temperature drops and the salt slush freezes into a thin, nearly
invisible layer.

Nokian studded ice tires. supernatural dominance over ice, make you
spiderpig.

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome
Old February 10th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
I ride in nasty conditions frequently (as frequently as Northern
California allows, which fortunately isn't all that often, to be
truthful), and haven't had issues with cars....

Should have been here (Cheese Land) this week for nasty conditions.

I *was* there.

I left.

Before the blizzard.

Old February 10th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 07:25:31 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I ride in nasty conditions frequently (as frequently as Northern
California allows, which fortunately isn't all that often, to be
truthful), and haven't had issues with cars. I'm more concerned when I'm
heading into the sun and cars behind might be blinded temporarily.

I worry about this too, which is why I try to avoid riding when sunset
coincides with rush hour.

In CA I would go mountain biking late afternoon, bringing lights and
returning just after sunset. Riding back in the dark was probably safer
than riding west on PCH into the glaring sunset during rush hour.

It's also neat to watch the sunset from the top of a mountain!

Matt O.
Old February 12th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Matt O'Toole wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 07:25:31 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

SNIP
I worry about this too, which is why I try to avoid riding when sunset
coincides with rush hour.

In CA I would go mountain biking late afternoon, bringing lights and
returning just after sunset. Riding back in the dark was probably safer
than riding west on PCH into the glaring sunset during rush hour.

I found myself in this situation during a long ride last fall, riding
straight into the setting sun on a narrow rural road. I swallowed my
pride and dignity, and switched to the left side of the road until the
road turned north.

Bill

__o | You don't stop riding because you get old.
_`\(,_ | You get old because you stop riding.

Light Theft (solutions — small pocket lights, or heavy duty well secured lights?) David Johnson UK 24 August 29th 07 02:32 PM
Bike lights to BS Nick Stewart UK 10 September 29th 06 05:47 PM
Lights: Do they need to be on the bike? Peter McCallum Australia 23 June 14th 06 01:28 AM
Break lights turn lights and handle bar lights Truepurple Techniques 30 November 17th 03 05:02 AM
bike lights ? Laurence Dodd Australia 2 August 20th 03 11:29 AM