Arrogant selfish cyclist

Old June 30th 10, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

Default Arrogant selfish cyclist

I got on the train after work today at Waterloo.
Shortly after a cyclist get on complete with bike (not a fold up)
He put bike by the doors, ignoring the fact that bikes are not allowed
on this service & even if they were they should be placed in the
correct area of the train.
A member of the station staff asked him to leave the train, but no he
could not do that, he was only going a short distance, he was in
nobody's way, he wasn't going to leave, the railway staff were holding
everybody up because they had asked him to leave. The excuses just
fell out of his mouth.
The train guard was called, who explained yet again that he would have
to leave, but no, the cyclist would not leave. Even when he was told
that the train would depart until he left would not change his mind.
Next the police (or PCSO) turned up & told him to leave the train. At
this point Mr. arrogant decided that he would continue to argue, up to
the point when he was told that he would be arrested.
He then left the train, what happened after that I don't know as the
train departed somewhat late.
What makes a cyclist like this think he has the right to delay a whole
trainload of people (and that's a lot of passengers) & cause the knock
on effect that this delayed service would cause?
500 plus people delayed because of one selfish arrogant cyclist, he
even managed to cause more problems to more people than CM.
Old June 30th 10, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

webreader wrote:
[...]

you should have assisted in his ejection. Pleased to hear that the train
staff dealt with it eventually.

Old June 30th 10, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

webreader wrote:
[...]

Yes but he was using a motorised vehicle, so he could not be a 'real
cyclist'

--
Tony Dragon
Old June 30th 10, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

webreader wrote:
I got on the train after work today at Waterloo.
Shortly after a cyclist get on complete with bike (not a fold up)
He put bike by the doors, ignoring the fact that bikes are not allowed
on this service & even if they were they should be placed in the
correct area of the train.

Are you sure of that? The restrictions only apply to journeys to
certain stations outside London; others are not restricted.
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/upl...prevised04.pdf

A member of the station staff asked him to leave the train, but no he
could not do that, he was only going a short distance, he was in
nobody's way, he wasn't going to leave, the railway staff were holding
everybody up because they had asked him to leave. The excuses just
fell out of his mouth.

Was he in anybody's way? Or was this an oft found situation where a
railway jobsworth could have avoided the delay with a little bit of
tolerance and common sense? I have travelled on a virtually empty ten
carriage train recently where the guard insisted a cyclist (not me, I
have a Brompton) get off because only four cycles were allowed on the
train. There was only me, him and the guard in the carriage.

500 plus people delayed because of one selfish arrogant cyclist, he
even managed to cause more problems to more people than CM.

Or possibly one jobsworth railway worker. I wasn't there so don't know
but have seen enough of the latter category where the guard has delayed
the train for a long time for a problem that wasn't a problem except
that he chose to make it one.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell
Old June 30th 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
webreader wrote:
I got on the train after work today at Waterloo.
Shortly after a cyclist get on complete with bike (not a fold up)
He put bike by the doors, ignoring the fact that bikes are not allowed
on this service & even if they were they should be placed in the
correct area of the train.

Are you sure of that? The restrictions only apply to journeys to certain
stations outside London; others are not restricted.
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/upl...prevised04.pdf

While nobody is perfect and even railway workers make mistakes, the fact
that the railway employees asked him to leave and he (seems to have) never
claimed he *was* allowed suggests to me he (the cyclist) knew he was in the
wrong.

Old June 30th 10, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:08:38 -0700 (PDT), webreader
wrote:

Next the police (or PCSO) turned up & told him to leave the train. At
this point Mr. arrogant decided that he would continue to argue, up to
the point when he was told that he would be arrested.

Perhaps the cyclist should have taken off the front wheel. Then he
would not have had a bicycle with him and the train would be allowed
to proceed without let or hinderance.

I am somewhat surprised that taking a bicycle onto a train is
considered an arrestable offence - though I suppose the Police could
claim they were arresting him under the prevention of terrorism act or
even shot him in the head seven times 'cos he had wires coming out of
his bottle dynamo.
Old June 30th 10, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Tony Raven wrote:
webreader wrote:
I got on the train after work today at Waterloo.
Shortly after a cyclist get on complete with bike (not a fold up)
He put bike by the doors, ignoring the fact that bikes are not allowed
on this service & even if they were they should be placed in the
correct area of the train.

Are you sure of that? The restrictions only apply to journeys to
certain stations outside London; others are not restricted.
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/upl...prevised04.pdf

He said Waterloo after work, your link states "At the stations shown in
red, cycles may not
between 0715 and 1000 inclusive and departing
London Waterloo from 1645 to 1900 inclusive"
I would sya as long as the train left Waterloo between 16:45 & 17:00
cycles were not allowed.

A member of the station staff asked him to leave the train, but no he
could not do that, he was only going a short distance, he was in
nobody's way, he wasn't going to leave, the railway staff were holding
everybody up because they had asked him to leave. The excuses just
fell out of his mouth.

Was he in anybody's way? Or was this an oft found situation where a
railway jobsworth could have avoided the delay with a little bit of
tolerance and common sense?

An empty train leaving Waterloo during the rush hour, have you ever been
at Waterloo at those times?
And he mentions 500 plus people, a little on the low side for some
services, wikipedia gives 240 seats for a four car unit, there would be
at least two units probably three, then add those standing & we are well
over 500.

I have travelled on a virtually empty ten
carriage train recently where the guard insisted a cyclist (not me, I
have a Brompton) get off because only four cycles were allowed on the
train. There was only me, him and the guard in the carriage.

500 plus people delayed because of one selfish arrogant cyclist, he
even managed to cause more problems to more people than CM.

Or possibly one jobsworth railway worker. I wasn't there so don't know
but have seen enough of the latter category where the guard has delayed
the train for a long time for a problem that wasn't a problem except
that he chose to make it one.

Yes OK, we know it wasn't the cyclists fault, heard it all before.

--
Tony Dragon
Old June 30th 10, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Graham Harrison wrote:

While nobody is perfect and even railway workers make mistakes, the fact
that the railway employees asked him to leave and he (seems to have)
never claimed he *was* allowed suggests to me he (the cyclist) knew he
was in the wrong.

Yes some railway workers may make mistakes but my experience is that
while most are great people, there are a few are real jobsworths about
that like to throw their weight around. I carry a copy of the National
Rail Conditions of Carriage and a few other documents on my laptop as
often they are way outside their powers and essentially bullying people.
The last one I had recently tried to claim I couldn't have my folded
bike in the carriage because "it might fly around and injure someone".

There is no indication in this story that the cyclist was causing any
form of difficulty or obstruction so do you think it was wise of the
railway worker to hold up the train while first a guard and then the
police were called and everyone waited for them to arrive. Or do you
think he would have been better to let it go, close the doors and go?

Old June 30th 10, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote:

Next the police (or PCSO) turned up & told him to leave the train. At
this point Mr. arrogant decided that he would continue to argue, up to
the point when he was told that he would be arrested.

Perhaps the cyclist should have taken off the front wheel. Then he
would not have had a bicycle with him and the train would be allowed
to proceed without let or hinderance.

I am somewhat surprised that taking a bicycle onto a train is
considered an arrestable offence - though I suppose the Police could
claim they were arresting him under the prevention of terrorism act or
even shot him in the head seven times 'cos he had wires coming out of
his bottle dynamo.

As I read it, it was when he didn't obey the police instruction that he
was told that he might be arrested.

Next contestant please.

--
Tony Dragon
Old June 30th 10, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

On Jun 30, 7:34*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
webreader wrote:
[...]

Couldn't do that, I would have lost my seat.

Mountain Bikers Are SELFISH! Mike Vandeman[_4_] Mountain Biking 1 January 30th 10 06:15 PM
Hey Lance Armstrong You Selfish Coward Anton Berlin Racing 48 May 24th 09 10:20 AM
Arrogant and clueless Bill C Racing 11 December 4th 06 08:30 AM
How to Piss Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist WeatherGuy General 511 June 11th 05 05:59 PM
Arrogant Pedalcyclists in Action max General 2 April 12th 05 10:57 AM