Bike shops, rules, principles and law

Old January 22nd 21, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Bike shops, rules, principles and law

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 19:02:49 +0000 (UTC), Ted Heise
wrote:

Interesting story, Joy. As it happens, my wife and encountered a
couple large fields of tomatos out on a tandem ride in Tippecanoe
county this past summer. I had not seen anything like that around
here before in many tens of thousands miles ridden. Before we
were close enough to see what was being grown, I was thinking,
"What in the world is that smell?" Very familiar, but I couldn't
place it. Weird.

Possibly ethylene gas used to rapidly ripen some commercial tomatoes:
https://www.chefs-garden.com/blog/june-2018/flavorful-fresh-tomatoes-vs-ethylene-gassed-ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene
... colorless flammable gas with a faint "sweet
and musky" odour when pure.

It might be familiar if you've ever worked with polyethylene plastic.
Try a flame test to some polyethylene plastic and check if it smells
familiar:
https://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/faqs/faq-how-can-i-easily-identify-a-plastic
Polyethylene (PE) - Drips, smells like candlewax

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 22nd 21, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 11:51:29 -0800 (PST),
jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 11:02:53 AM UTC-8, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:23:51 -0500,
Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:09:17 +0100, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

Only in the midwest USA, farmers are defined to be
"someone who grows corn or soybeans on hundreds/thousands
of acres".

I used to pass tomato farms on my way to see my sister in
central Indiana. I rather suspect that they are clustered
around the Red Gold cannery not too far east and south of
her place.

I was quite shocked to see the tomatoes harvested by combine
and shipped in dump trucks. My sister once saw a tomato fall
off such a load -- and bounce.

A proper tomato would splat when dropped from a much smaller
height.

Interesting story, Joy. As it happens, my wife and encountered
a couple large fields of tomatos out on a tandem ride in
Tippecanoe county this past summer. I had not seen anything
like that around here before in many tens of thousands miles
ridden. Before we were close enough to see what was being
grown, I was thinking, "What in the world is that smell?" Very
familiar, but I couldn't place it. Weird.

You can do the same thing with the strawberry fields in
Watsonville, Ca. It's like riding through a jar of jam. I get
the same jam-jar experience riding through blackberry fields
here in Oregon.

There are some fragrant crops out there.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...g?v=1533238954

Hood River Valley is like a smell-a-thon with the lavender and
fruit trees. Take the train!
https://www.mthoodrr.com/train-rides...ossom-special/

One thing I miss about California is the smell of bay trees and
eucalyptus. Fir and ferns don't have much of a smell. The only
thing I remember about riding through vast acres of corn in
Kansas were the bird-sized grasshopper/locust. No memorable
smell, but maybe on a warm day is smells like corn.

Yeah, Indiana is much like Kansas in terms of crop variety. You
do get a little sweetish scent when the corn is pollinating.
Other than that, pretty unremarkable.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 22nd 21, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

wrote:

[...]

I think it was the scent of the plants themselves, and not
ethylene.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 22nd 21, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I remember riding west out of Walla Walla WA and being passed by trucks
with huge trailers full of onions. We were dodging onions that had
fallen onto the road.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 22nd 21, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Joy Beeson wrote:

I used to pass tomato farms on my way to see my sister in
central Indiana. I rather suspect that they are clustered
around the Red Gold cannery not too far east and south of
her place.

I was quite shocked to see the tomatoes harvested by combine
and shipped in dump trucks. My sister once saw a tomato fall
off such a load -- and bounce.

A proper tomato would splat when dropped from a much smaller
height.
Interesting story, Joy. As it happens, my wife and encountered
a couple large fields of tomatos out on a tandem ride in
Tippecanoe county this past summer. I had not seen anything
like that around here before in many tens of thousands miles
ridden. Before we were close enough to see what was being
grown, I was thinking, "What in the world is that smell?" Very
familiar, but I couldn't place it. Weird.

An oil refinery plus a bit of thyme spice?

[...]

Now that you mention it ... before Midwestern corn farming became a chemical
industry, were the harvested fields burnt as they liked to do in Europe?
Old January 22nd 21, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

I remember riding west out of Walla Walla WA and being passed by trucks with
huge trailers full of onions. We were dodging onions that had fallen onto the road.

In France I saw signs warning of beets on the road:

http://www.cuit-cuit.fr/2010/12/01/a...ave-glissante/

Old January 22nd 21, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

[...]

Ca.Â* It's like riding through a jar of jam.Â* I get the same jam-jar
experience riding through blackberry fields here in Oregon.

There are some fragrant crops out there.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...g?v=1533238954

I remember riding west out of Walla Walla WA and being passed by trucks
with huge trailers full of onions. We were dodging onions that had
fallen onto the road.

Riding a September brevet along the WA side of the Columbia several
years back, there were carrots, and either onions or potatoes (I can't
exactly remember, maybe both) and at least one large, fairly fresh deer
carcass on the roadside.

On brevets, you have lots of time to think random thoughts. I started
to think about stews you could make with only roadside ingredients.

Mark J.
Old January 22nd 21, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 08:28:19 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 6:37:16 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/21/2021 8:31 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 9:11:16 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/21/2021 12:53 AM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 21:06:20 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:
In case you are unaware of it, the standard farm is only 40 acres.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2000/
:-) It's like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it?

If you had even a passing clue what you were talking about you would probably stop sucking Slocumb off. https://www.lodigrowers.com/wp-conte...012-census.jpg It should come as no surprise that a mechanical engineer who taught does even have a passing understanding of statistics.

OK,Tom, use that table and compute your estimate for the mean acreage of
a California farm, and of a U.S. farm. Tell us your answers and show
your work. I'm very curious how you get an answer of 40 acres.

I am far more interested on why you change the subject when you are shown just how full of ****ing **** you are - when 70% of farms are under 179 acres and when that 179 acres probably represents 1 or 2 farms and when MOST of the farms are probably 10 acres or under, you have been shown as the fool you and Slocumb are.

Errr TOMMY! Did you actually read the reference posted above. It says
that 39% of the farms were smaller then 49 acres and that 61% were
larger... And 11% are 9 acres or smaller.

So, I guess that in Tommy Mathematics 11% is most of 100%?
Hot Damn! Tommy Boy, aren't you the clever one.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 22nd 21, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/22/2021 3:25 PM, Bertrand wrote:
I remember riding west out of Walla Walla WA and being
passed by trucks with huge trailers full of onions. We
were dodging onions that had fallen onto the road.

In France I saw signs warning of beets on the road:

http://www.cuit-cuit.fr/2010/12/01/a...ave-glissante/

Wisconsin DOT sprays beet juice and also cheese brine on roads.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 22nd 21, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

Default OT: tommy runs out of arguement. Bike shops, rules, principles andlaw

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 08:22:45 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 4:59:46 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:

Of course, if one dives straight into the informational stream one
might find that it is very shallow in some places. Or to translate,
"some information is not factual" but then it appears that non-factual
information suits some people's illusions (or delusions) far better
then actual facts :-)

You are perfectly happy to lie through your teeth to prove any point you
wish to make.

Typical insult labelling rest of post rubbish but

Either that or you are so ****ing stupid it doesn't even
occur to you that 75% of all farms have under 100 acres and one farm
with 10,000 acres offsets that number you used simply because you wanted
to counter my argument.

Is is really a 'farm' if a 'farmer' can not make a living from it?
Or is it really a 'weekender' and probably a tax dodge.

You have something seriously wrong in your head
and you have shown it time after time after time in your postings here

Talking to yourself?