Saddle question

Old November 5th 04, 01:04 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
The only seat that doesn't even begin to hurt your butt is the
EasySeat.
http://clients.corifeus.com/hobson/web/products.htm

I've ridden all over Europe, all day in the saddle without even having to
stand in the pedals for a break. Weight isn't focused on just one spot on
your butt bone. It feels goofy at first but I'll trade that for a
comfortable ride.

I've found that my Trico split-rail saddle with a gel cover works great.
The saddle has an adjustable-width split in the middle, and you can also
adjust the tension. The padding, however, is very firm, too much so for
my sit bones. Hence the gel cover, which spreads out the weight just
enough to make it feel great. That's not a good combination if you are
concerned about weight, though. The saddle is heavy all by itself, and
the gel cover adds even more weight.

-Gary

In article , "Taber"
wrote:

I recently purchased a Specialized Allez Elite racing bike and LOVE it.
However, the saddle SUCKS! I am new to the sport and don't know a lot about
gear. Can anyone advise me on a good alternative saddle for a weekend
warrior, rides about 50 miles on the weekends, 5'10", 165 lbs.

Please respond to as I cant check newgroup often.
Thanks

Greg

newsgroups if possible).
Old November 6th 04, 07:34 PM
TBGibb

In article , "Taber"
writes:

I recently purchased a Specialized Allez Elite racing bike and LOVE it.
However, the saddle SUCKS! I am new to the sport and don't know a lot about
gear. Can anyone advise me on a good alternative saddle for a weekend
warrior, rides about 50 miles on the weekends, 5'10", 165 lbs.

Does the bike really fit you? Is the nose of your saddle tilted up or down?
Generally a saddle should be pretty close to level, but I like the nose tilted
just a little high. Is the saddle set too high or low? Bike fit and saddle
orientation are the first place to go.

How soft or hard is this saddle? Generally the harder saddles support you on
the turbosities (you are almostly certainly sitting on them right now) and save
the pressure on the perineium. Some like gel saddles (which allow the
turbosities to sink in, permtting pressure on the perineium), but many long
distance riders swear by hard saddles. My impression is that all the pros use
hard saddles. Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

My favorite is a Brooks leather saddle (sorry Sheldon). But this is about as
personal a choice as one can find in bicycling. Is there a shop in your area
that will let you try some out?

Tom Gibb

Old November 7th 04, 09:44 PM
Sheldon Brown

"Taber" wrote:
=20
I recently purchased a Specialized Allez Elite racing bike and LOVE it.=

However, the saddle SUCKS! I am new to the sport and don't know a lot a=

bout
gear. Can anyone advise me on a good alternative saddle for a weekend
warrior, rides about 50 miles on the weekends, 5'10", 165 lbs.

There is no magic saddle that will make cycling comfortable instantly=20
for somebody who has been off the bike for more than a few weeks. You=20
need to get acclimated to it, by going for _short_ rides and gradually=20
working your way up to longer ones.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles

and: http://sheldonbrown.com/pain

This is not to say that there are no differences among saddles.

Quoth Tom Gibb:
=20
Does the bike really fit you? Is the nose of your saddle tilted up or =

down?=20
Generally a saddle should be pretty close to level, but I like the nose=

tilted
just a little high. Is the saddle set too high or low? Bike fit and s=

addle
orientation are the first place to go. =20

Good advice.

How soft or hard is this saddle? Generally the harder saddles support =

you on
the turbosities (you are almostly certainly sitting on them right now) =

and save
the pressure on the perineium. Some like gel saddles (which allow the
turbosities to sink in, permtting pressure on the perineium), but many =

long
distance riders swear by hard saddles. My impression is that all the p=

ros use
hard saddles. Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html=20
=20
My favorite is a Brooks leather saddle (sorry Sheldon). =20

Huh? Why are you sorry? I'm one of the largest Internet dealers of=20
Brooks saddles in the world!

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles

Sheldon "Leather" Brown
| If your bike has drop handlebars, but you |
| rarely or never ride on the drops, it=92s a |
| sure sign that your bike is not properly |
| fitted or is not properly adjusted! |
| See: http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old November 8th 04, 10:59 PM
TBGibb

In article , Sheldon Brown
writes:

hard saddles. Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html=20
=20
My favorite is a Brooks leather saddle (sorry Sheldon). =20

Huh? Why are you sorry? I'm one of the largest Internet dealers of=20
Brooks saddles in the world!

Because that means I couldn't put in a good word for the "real-man" saddle, for
which you are the only dealer. :-)

Tom Gibb