ouch!

Old October 26th 05, 01:46 AM
Llatikcuf

Default ouch!

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

Old October 26th 05, 03:01 AM
Leo Lichtman

When I first looked at the picture, I thought I saw a kickstand, which would
mean it is a posed picture. However, I think that dark line is his chain,
which means that this poor guy is flapping at both ends.

Old October 26th 05, 03:28 AM
Mark Hickey

"Llatikcuf" wrote:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

Is it my imagination, or is the top half of the headset going along
for the ride? That can't have ended well...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old October 26th 05, 03:30 AM
ellis

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
"Llatikcuf" wrote:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

Is it my imagination, or is the top half of the headset going along
for the ride? That can't have ended well...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

The guy's racing XC on a rigid fork and the steerer snapped, looks like.
That's insane.

Old October 26th 05, 03:33 AM
Mark Janeba

Leo Lichtman wrote:
When I first looked at the picture, I thought I saw a kickstand, which would
mean it is a posed picture. However, I think that dark line is his chain,
which means that this poor guy is flapping at both ends.

Agreed. Double ouch.

It looks to me like a quill stem - what do others think?

So does that mean his steerer column separated somewhere in the threaded
section?

Mark

Old October 26th 05, 04:01 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Llatikcuf wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

See? Threaded headsets are DEADLY!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 26th 05, 04:25 AM

someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

Jobst Brandt
Old October 26th 05, 04:33 AM
Paul Hobson

Mark Janeba wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:

When I first looked at the picture, I thought I saw a kickstand, which
would mean it is a posed picture. However, I think that dark line is
his chain, which means that this poor guy is flapping at both ends.

Agreed. Double ouch.

It looks to me like a quill stem - what do others think?

So does that mean his steerer column separated somewhere in the threaded
section?

Mark

I bet he reemed it out to fit a 22.2 mm stem in there

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old October 26th 05, 04:40 AM
Paul Hobson

wrote:
someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

Jobst Brandt

Look at his tires. The front is quite compressed and the rear is off
the ground. I assume he just same off a jump, which explains the stem
and the tires. I seem to recall my chain doing stupid things on jumps
with *mart mountain bikes as a kid, but someone with more experience
will need to confirm this theory.

Old October 26th 05, 05:24 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

wrote:
someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

That's not a carbon steerer tube. It's a threaded headset.

His chain didn't fall off. If you bothered to look at the picture with more
than a cursory glance, you'll notice that the chain is still wrapped around
the small chainring. As Paul H mentioned, it's post-jump, as is the
following photo I recently took with the same phenomenon present.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cr/chain.jpg

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ouch and the one-day trailer. Jon Senior UK 1 August 28th 05 12:46 PM
Found a couple bad bike crash videos. Ouch! Wasatch5k Techniques 0 June 27th 05 04:01 AM
Ouch - Cramp!! Succorso UK 16 May 3rd 04 09:03 PM
ouch!! Pain is terrible don't suffer we have relief notjioxceg Stacy London Off Road 1 December 8th 03 05:06 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!! Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 21 October 25th 03 03:59 AM