Was Greg dirty in his day?

Old June 30th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Was Greg dirty in his day?

Not being a LeMondologist, I ask the question, was Greg dirty in his
day? LeMond was before my time, and my knowledge of him consists of what
I've read in rbr. But if someone could fill in the knowledge gap.

Old June 30th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

He didn't need to be doped up...at the age of 14 he won the US junior
qualification road race decisively before he was even eligible to
compete...he had more natural talent than any other US rider including
one nut. Drugs were around then, but not like today... he kept getting
better. He was also the first rider to crack the million dollar
salary... breaking new ground for all pro riders.

Old June 30th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

oups.com...

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Not being a LeMondologist, I ask the question, was Greg dirty in his
day? LeMond was before my time, and my knowledge of him consists of what
I've read in rbr. But if someone could fill in the knowledge gap.

Greg LeMond went from being a poor also ran in the Giro to a front runner in
the Tour de France after an "iron" shot. Sure, he had a blood disease and he
rode for a couple of years better than anyone else.

Old June 30th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tom Kunich wrote:
Greg LeMond went from being a poor also ran in the Giro to a front runner in
the Tour de France after an "iron" shot.

That someone could go from an also-ran to a contender in the space of a
month is not out of the question. Getting iron levels back up to where
they are supposed to be makes a sedentary person go from feeling like
garbage to feeling normal again. Imagine what it does for an athlete
who is being pushed very hard in a three-week stage race.

In addition, form can change quickly. Someone can be under-recovered
and undertaking a huge workload. One week easy and he feels great.

I'm not saying GL didn't dope, but it's very possible that he didn't,
and that the iron shot was really just an iron shot.

Old June 30th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

oups.com...

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Not being a LeMondologist, I ask the question, was Greg dirty in his
day? LeMond was before my time, and my knowledge of him consists of what
I've read in rbr. But if someone could fill in the knowledge gap.

Look, back in the good ol '80s there was nothing wrong with
using Amphetamines.

It was fine when Cyrille Guimard put Greg on a program of
Darbepoetin / Stanozolol / Methamphetamine when he started
riding for the Renault-Elf-Gitane team.

Laurent Figon is the one to point fingers at. I really don't know
why people aren't talking about him anymore, what's with that?

Old June 30th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
.net...
Not being a LeMondologist, I ask the question, was Greg dirty in his
day? LeMond was before my time, and my knowledge of him consists of what
I've read in rbr. But if someone could fill in the knowledge gap.

Don't forget, Greg wrote THE BOOK on training.

Other than The Bible, Eddy Borysewicz's book
'Bicycle Road Racing - Complete Program for
Training and Competition' you don't need all
these fancy pancy new training books that have
Lance or that silly Chris Carmichel character
yapping about 'systems' or other silliness.

I don't like these newcomers to my sport
such as Lance and that Chris Carmichel
guy.

Anyway:
When the USCF got Borysewicz, one big improvement
he made to Greg back in '77 was to change Greg's
riding position. Eddy states Greg was pedaling
pigeon-toed and they worked to change all that.

Greg listened and did a number on the Russians and
Poles at the '80 Circuit de la Sarthe! Or have you
forgotten that?

Remember these names:
Greg LeMond
Ron Kiefel
Greg Demgen
Jeff Bradley

They won Bronze in the 1978 Junior Worlds TTT.
The very first Worlds medal for a U.S. road team.

Old June 30th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"steve" wrote in message
ups.com...

Being the same age I raced against him some. I remember racing against
him in the Wildwood, NJ crit in Oct 1978 and later in the Lowenbrau GP
Central Park RR in May or June 1979. The difference in his physique was
great. He seemed so much more muscular and my first reaction was
ster..ds(?)

It was the late '70s that Eddy Borysewicz got the USCF to send Greg to
Poland for two months.

Over there Greg was worked on by the same system that brought two
weightlifting gold medals to Waldemar Baszanowski in the light weight
division.

Old June 30th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Jack Maars" wrote in message

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message

Anyway:
When the USCF got Borysewicz, one big improvement
he made to Greg back in '77 was to change Greg's
riding position. Eddy states Greg was pedaling
pigeon-toed and they worked to change all that.

Greg listened and did a number on the Russians and
Poles at the '80 Circuit de la Sarthe! Or have you
forgotten that?

How silly of me, of course as soon as Greg stopped pedaling with pigeon toes
he became the true champion that was hidden inside him.

Poor ol Greg Jack Maars Racing 22 June 30th 06 04:59 PM
Open letter to Greg Harper uni57 Unicycling 20 November 16th 05 05:07 PM
Down and Dirty in Memphis Tmornstar Unicycling 6 November 15th 04 04:01 PM
Greg LeMond on OLN - Tuesday "Fearless" Badger_South General 3 November 1st 04 04:32 AM
Graphite Dirty Deeds - BMX Dirt Jump Comp w/ Corey Nastascio (USA) hippy Australia 2 May 7th 04 05:00 AM