Diesel on the roads after the rain.

Old October 25th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default Diesel on the roads after the rain.

Noticed how skiddy the roads are after a dry spell? I think the diesel
accumulates on the dry service and then when it rains the road surface
becomes really slippy, especially when you are cornering and there's a
manhole cover just where you're cycling.

Nothing gets the heart going on wet mornings so much as a quick
fish-tail from your rear wheel as you corner on some skiddy personhole
cover.

Old October 25th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

spindrift said the following on 25/10/2006 09:07:
Noticed how skiddy the roads are after a dry spell? I think the diesel
accumulates on the dry service and then when it rains the road surface
becomes really slippy, especially when you are cornering and there's a
manhole cover just where you're cycling.

I've got one of those on the way to work. Two actually, on the same
corner, carefully placed so as to not have a clean line around them!

Nothing gets the heart going on wet mornings so much as a quick
fish-tail from your rear wheel as you corner on some skiddy personhole
cover.

Oh yes there is - your front wheel sliding out!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 25th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M-gineering

spindrift wrote:
Noticed how skiddy the roads are after a dry spell? I think the diesel
accumulates on the dry service and then when it rains the road surface
becomes really slippy, especially when you are cornering and there's a
manhole cover just where you're cycling.

You'll find diesel on roundabouts near a (over)filling station, the bits
in between are covered with rubber particles and grease from chassis
lubrication systems
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old October 25th 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

You'll find diesel on roundabouts near a (over)filling station, the bits
in between are covered with rubber particles and grease from chassis
lubrication systems

Diesel makes for a greasy road surface irrespective of rainfall.

The slippiness when wet is caused by the creation of a greasy paste made
from the fine detritus that falls from cars and tyre particles. As for wet
manhole covers, just do your best to ride over them in an upright position
or if they are on a bend, adjust your speed and position to avoid them -
simple innit?

Old October 25th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article . com
spindrift wrote:
Noticed how skiddy the roads are after a dry spell? I think the diesel
accumulates on the dry service and then when it rains the road surface
becomes really slippy, especially when you are cornering and there's a
manhole cover just where you're cycling.

Diesel, tyre dust and general clag, that mixes up into a nice slippery
film if the rain and traffic aren't heavy enough to disperse it. I tend
to avoid street iron and road markings whatever the weather, so they
don't make too much difference, but diesel seems to be be as slippery
and invisible as black ice.

Nothing gets the heart going on wet mornings so much as a quick
fish-tail from your rear wheel as you corner on some skiddy personhole
cover.

I suppose landing on your face in the middle of the road with oncoming
traffic is more of a heart-stopper.
Old October 31st 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Rob Morley wrote:

In article . com
spindrift wrote:
Noticed how skiddy the roads are after a dry spell? I think the diesel
accumulates on the dry service and then when it rains the road surface
becomes really slippy, especially when you are cornering and there's a
manhole cover just where you're cycling.

Diesel, tyre dust and general clag, that mixes up into a nice slippery
film if the rain and traffic aren't heavy enough to disperse it. I tend
to avoid street iron and road markings whatever the weather, so they
don't make too much difference, but diesel seems to be be as slippery
and invisible as black ice.

a few years ago, as i approached a roundabout off a motorway i saw a
motorbike being pushed round with a police car sheperding. as i pounder
what had happend i had reached the roundabout and all became clear as
even at very slow speeds the car slid all over the place on the diesel i
didn't hit any thing but that was as i had slowed right down woundering
what the biker and police car where up to, there was only the bike, the
police car and I on this large roundabout any change of factors and it
could of been nasty.

Nothing gets the heart going on wet mornings so much as a quick
fish-tail from your rear wheel as you corner on some skiddy personhole
cover.

I suppose landing on your face in the middle of the road with oncoming
traffic is more of a heart-stopper.

roger

Vicious cycle on our roads JoeD Australia 27 October 17th 06 02:21 AM
have you seen this?? Jane UK 73 October 6th 06 07:40 AM
Northern Spain (Santander) trip advice needed Andy Lewis Rides 3 February 22nd 05 12:27 PM
Rain etiquette for group rides... Absent Husband Australia 11 January 29th 05 06:10 AM
Rough roads and punctures. Ro Australia 16 August 29th 04 01:21 PM