Unicycle descent of Mt. Elbert

Old August 21st 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

Default Unicycle descent of Mt. Elbert

Some one mentioned this TR to me and found it this morning.
I knew you all would enjoy it.

http://tinyurl.com/6fffy2

good write up. I like the comment about air pressures changing within
the tire as you climb/descend the higher altitudes.

Mt. Elbert is Colo's highest mountain, we have 52 mountains over 14,ooo
ft and many people try to climb them all. Unicycling down one is tricky,
it is mostly talus rock above tree line.

I will have to try this now...

--
Bondo

Apply Directly to a Unicycle.

'w00tni|iciou$n3s$Rof1iwins'
(http://tinyurl.com/5fcdr2)
Old August 21st 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

Wow that is so cool! I had the goal to do a unicycle descent on a 14er
this past June (I won't say which ) but as you can imagine it was
waaay to early to make an attempt i.e. too much snow and mud to make it
worth while. Perhaps when I can make it out to Colorado in August or
early fall I'll give it a go! I know of a few that I've climbed that
would be very ridable...

--
MuniSano
Old August 21st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

thanks for the pics, looks like fun.

--
rem48
Old August 21st 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

Do they allow bikes or unicycles on the trail there? I was thinking
that was prohibited on a lot of the hiking trails.

Also note that Mt. Elbert is the highest, but it's marginally higher
than a lot of the rest, so the difference is really meaningless.

--
StephenH
Old August 21st 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

StephenH wrote:
Do they allow bikes or unicycles on the trail there? I was thinking
that was prohibited on a lot of the hiking trails.

Also note that Mt. Elbert is the highest, but it's marginally higher
than a lot of the rest, so the difference is really meaningless.

They allow bikes on most trails in Colo, There are exceptions for
Wilderness areas, they are not allowed. Forest service may designate
some trails off-limits to bikers, but for the most part you can ride
most of the trails.

Check out some of the thread listed below... Unicycles have been riding
14ers for awhile now.

Elbert is highest, but more on the easier scale of 14ers. There are a
couple that require ropes and class 4 or 5 climbing. Most can be hiked
up in a day.

I prefer to hike them in the spring when you can still ski down them!

Anybody up for Grey's, Torres or Quandry??