Helmets

Old September 30th 16, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Helmets

On 9/30/2016 4:47 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 1:48:03 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/30/2016 3:27 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

As for wars, you can't blame those on the entire generation. Only takes
a few (censored) in high office.

So how come they happen at 20 year intervals?

Was there a year without several wars? I can't think of one.
Heck the Karen fought Burma for fifty-odd years which isn't
even a record.

Well, were there several such cycles going on and overlapping/juxtaposed, then there would be constant war, from a 100,000-foot point of view

Could you explain that?
Recent/current conflicts have been very real for those
directly involved: Somalia, Mindanao, The Sudans, Yemen,
Syria, Ukraine, Libya, Kashmir, Nigeria, various
neighborhoods in France and so on.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 30th 16, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 3:25:52 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/30/2016 4:47 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 1:48:03 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/30/2016 3:27 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

As for wars, you can't blame those on the entire generation. Only takes
a few (censored) in high office.

So how come they happen at 20 year intervals?

Was there a year without several wars? I can't think of one.
Heck the Karen fought Burma for fifty-odd years which isn't
even a record.

Well, were there several such cycles going on and overlapping/juxtaposed, then there would be constant war, from a 100,000-foot point of view

Could you explain that?
Recent/current conflicts have been very real for those
directly involved: Somalia, Mindanao, The Sudans, Yemen,
Syria, Ukraine, Libya, Kashmir, Nigeria, various
neighborhoods in France and so on.

We went to war approx. 20 yrs (30?) after WWII (which was 20 yrs after wwI), in vietnam, then aprrox 20 (30?) after that, in Iraq, and now hordes of young'uns are responding to Trump, obviously out of emotion, not reason, and characterized by aggression rhetoric.

Every generation wants to have their conflict.

Old October 1st 16, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-09-30 02:23, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 02:59:30 -0500, Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-30, John B wrote:

Or, perhaps to put in more graphic terms, the older folks are
brave and stalwart individuals while the youngsters are timid
and fainthearted. Which, of course, explains the modern
helmet fetish.

Trolling much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yL5usLFgY

I am amazed. Are you implying that your bicycle riding is similar
to your you tube example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9_i9MEnMg

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Nasty! In frame by frame viewing of the tumbel it really looks
likethe helmet hit the pavement as the guy somersaulted and landed.
What are the odds of a piece of scrap metal destroying a bicycle
likethat?

No idea how often it happens but it did happen to me this summer. Not
scrap metal but a small Manzanita branch buried in sandy soil. Didn't
see it. Thwock ... *KAKLONK* ... immediate front wheel stop, over the
bar with gusto. I was able to turn a bit sideways and roll but it left
scars that won't go away. I believe in metal as a material for bicycles,
preferably steel :-)

A contributing factor was what pilots call get-home-itis. I was to be
Mr.Barbecue that night, my wife said not to be late and I pushed north
of 20mph on a dirt trail where I shouldn't have. Somewhere around he

https://goo.gl/maps/hfmFjftTveP2

Two other rider had similar incidences but on road bikes. One ran into a
loose dog that attacked his front wheel. The helmet prevented the worst.
Styrofoam compressed, had to be replaced and to his surprise the helmet
mfg had a program where accident replacements were 60% off. All he had
to do was drop the helmet off at the bike dealer and fill out a form
with brief accident statements. The LBS actually took care of the other
40%. The not so nice surprise was when tooth pain developed weeks later
and the dentist diagnose four cracked molars. Thousands of Dollars later
he had four crowns.

The other rider had a squirrel run into the front wheel spokes and he
and the bike flipped. Hard hit on pavement, crunched the helmet but no
cracked skull. The squirrel did not survive.

I had a close call with a squirrel like that as well and ran one over on
the bike. Often you can't see them coming, they just dash out of a bush.
Turkeys and squirrels are probably among the dumbest animals on the
planet. Other wildlife can also cause "helmet tests".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldPr6HSYyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkIzf0Wz0vc

Old October 1st 16, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:38:13 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/30/2016 11:55 AM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 09-30-2016 10:40, Radey Shouman wrote:
Also, the younger generation doesn't read newspapers much.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated
than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
—— Thomas Jefferson

Trouble is, Jefferson was so prolific a writer over so long
a time that you could support or damn just about any random
thought with a Jefferson quotation or two.

Ya ... or a Jefferson descendant or two!

Old October 1st 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 8:17:09 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/29/2016 10:05 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/29/2016 10:48 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 09-29-2016 20:55, John B. wrote:
The study shows that the older generation prefers working in
challenging but possibly risky situations while the
younger generation
do not like placing themselves in risky situations.

Alternate interpretation: One generation takes too many
risks, The next
generation sees the disasters that result and becomes
afraid of risk.

What disasters?

The biggest disaster I can think of comes from starting a
war. But people seem to keep producing those, year after year.

War is entirely human and won't stop any time soon. Get over it.

Victory is not a disaster.

What if the victor is Donald Trump?

According to current U.S. political theory if an individual has been
elected by a majority of the people he is a good guy and alternately
if not he is automatically a bad buy.

Of course, they modify this at their discretion, witness the recent
attitude toward the democratically elected president of the
Philippines :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 1st 16, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

[...]

Chelsea's Mom - has got it goin on -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRdyQjSHcJE
Old October 1st 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 2016-09-30, John B wrote:

[...]

Well, if you want to use personal anecdotes to justify helmets, I have
had two severe crashes which in the first case broke my pelvis and the
second broke some ribs. In neither case did my head contact the ground
as examination of my helmets(s) after the accidents showed no marks
whatsoever on the exterior and no indication of any cracks or
deformation of the foam core.

As you describe your accident as causing some scratches and mine broke
bones I suggest that my accidents were far more severe than yours, but
a helmet did no good at all.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 1st 16, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 11:41:00 -0500, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

On 09-29-2016 22:05, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/29/2016 10:48 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 09-29-2016 20:55, John B. wrote:
The study shows that the older generation prefers working in
challenging but possibly risky situations while the younger generation
do not like placing themselves in risky situations.

Alternate interpretation: One generation takes too many risks, The next
generation sees the disasters that result and becomes afraid of risk.

What disasters?

The biggest disaster I can think of comes from starting a war. But
people seem to keep producing those, year after year.

Whatever disasters came from taking too many risks. Like, "Oh, I have
good credit; I'll buy a Corvette." Dad's always broke; son becomes a
miser. Not necessarily true, just a _possible_ reason for the study's
results.

In other words, accidents are caused by stupidity... I can't argue :-)

As for wars, you can't blame those on the entire generation. Only takes
a few (censored) in high office.

I think you will find that most wars are supported by a large
percentage of the population. During the second world war Usians put
posters in their front windows to show that someone in the house was
serving in the war, they even had posters to show that someone had
died while serving. conversely, they shunned those that seemed to be
in good health that weren't in the military.

In fact at least one state had an inclusion in State law that
authorized such posters.

To elaborate on what Nick Artimovich and Nathan Bliss wrote about this
flag in a book entitled "The Flag of the United States -- Your Flag
and Mine" by Harrison S. Kerrick.

"The State of Massachusetts, by resolution of its House of
Representatives, May 28, 1918, established a new form of recognition
of service under the U.S. Flag, based upon the practice that arose
during the World War of displaying in the home office, club, or
factory, a blue star (loyalty, sincerity, justice) upon a white field
(hope, purity, truth) each star representing a member of the family or
organization in service, by adding thereto certain emblems symbolizing
events of service as indicated on opposite page."

Contrary to present popular opinion the Vietnam was generally
supported in the beginning as a fight against communism (domino
theory).

The Civil war, AKA the war to free the slaves, was widely supported by
the Northern population in the early days. Uncle Tom's Cabin was the
best-selling novel of the 19th century and the second best-selling
book of that century. Written by a lady who had never been in the
South.

The theory that things are always directed by a tiny group of evil men
somewhere in the shadows, while popular, is generally false.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 1st 16, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-09-30, John B wrote:

[...]

I broke ribs, cut up my face and head, separated my shoulder and knocked myself out -- so there.

My helmet not only saved my life, it saved the lives of those around me. It saved many, many lives . . . a lot of lives. I'm talking a tremendous amount of lives. Believe me. Helmets will be great.

-- Jay "The Donald" Beattie.
Old October 1st 16, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:48:40 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

[...]

You seem to have ignored the occupation of South Korean from 1945-49,
the actual Korean war, from 1950-53 and of course the first incursion
into Vietnam in 1953.