Rancho San Antonio and Half Moon Bay (California)

Old April 27th 05, 06:50 AM
Bill Bushnell

Default Rancho San Antonio and Half Moon Bay (California)

I went out on the bike a couple of times this past weekend and put
together a couple of picture galleries. I was trying to get some good
pictures of the interesting sky. Some turned out better than others.

Rancho San Antonio: http://tinyurl.com/8m6yb
Half Moon Bay: http://tinyurl.com/8zhmf

Questions or comments are welcome.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old April 27th 05, 07:09 PM
Chuck Anderson

Bill Bushnell wrote:

I went out on the bike a couple of times this past weekend and put
together a couple of picture galleries. I was trying to get some good
pictures of the interesting sky. Some turned out better than others.

Rancho San Antonio: http://tinyurl.com/8m6yb
Half Moon Bay: http://tinyurl.com/8zhmf

I see you have a working Avocet 50. I'm jealous. Mine expired in Germany
some years ago. The battery cap seals started to fail (somewhere in
Italy) and after a few rainstorms it began to malfunction. I woke up one
morning in Germany to see the altimeter reading at 120,000 feet and
climbing, and the buttons wouldn't work. Not much later it shut down -
for good.

I have a Cateye Altimeter now, but I still really miss my Avocet. It's a
shame they never remade those. It seems the cycle computer makers have
decided that we'll find other means to measure elevation, as the Cateye
is no longer available either. GPS is a bit of overkill to me.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old April 27th 05, 07:54 PM

Did you come in from the side gate or did you come in the main entrance
and climb the longer dirt road on your recumbent at Rancho San Antonio?

Old April 27th 05, 08:27 PM
Bill Bushnell

In ba.bicycles Chuck Anderson wrote:
I see you have a working Avocet 50. I'm jealous. Mine expired in Germany
some years ago. The battery cap seals started to fail (somewhere in
Italy) and after a few rainstorms it began to malfunction. I woke up one
morning in Germany to see the altimeter reading at 120,000 feet and
climbing, and the buttons wouldn't work. Not much later it shut down -
for good.

I've been using an Avocet 50 since it first came to market. This unit is
one of the early ones and probably won't last much longer as the case is
cracked, and it no longer sits tightly in its mount. At least it's out of
the weather. It'll probably die when it gets knocked out of its mount and
run over by me or a following vehicle. People with whom I ride seem to
get good altimeter data from the Ciclosport computers.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old April 27th 05, 08:43 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I've been using an Avocet 50 since it first came to market. This unit is
one of the early ones and probably won't last much longer as the case is
cracked, and it no longer sits tightly in its mount. At least it's out of
the weather. It'll probably die when it gets knocked out of its mount and
run over by me or a following vehicle. People with whom I ride seem to
get good altimeter data from the Ciclosport computers.

--
Bill Bushnell

Bill: The Ciclosport computers have exceptionally-accurate
altitude-measuring capabilities. Unfortunately, they're also the
most-difficult units to understand, due to their
poorly-translated-from-German instructions.

What makes the Ciclosport altitude section so nice? Very little drift,
extreme repeatability (you do the same ride over and over and over and over
and over and get maybe 30ft variation in total climb out of 3500ft) and it
doesn't over-estimate the amount of climbing (gives virtually identical
results to Rich Vetter's KLIMB program).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old April 27th 05, 10:57 PM
Ken

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
:
What makes the Ciclosport altitude section so nice? Very little drift,
extreme repeatability (you do the same ride over and over and over and
over and over and get maybe 30ft variation in total climb out of 3500ft)
and it doesn't over-estimate the amount of climbing (gives virtually
identical results to Rich Vetter's KLIMB program).

And of course, the KLIMB program is really just a GUI on top of Bill Bushnell's
route and elevation data.
Old April 28th 05, 12:20 AM
Bill Bushnell

In ba.bicycles Ken wrote:
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
:
What makes the Ciclosport altitude section so nice? Very little drift,
extreme repeatability (you do the same ride over and over and over and
over and over and get maybe 30ft variation in total climb out of 3500ft)
and it doesn't over-estimate the amount of climbing (gives virtually
identical results to Rich Vetter's KLIMB program).

And of course, the KLIMB program is really just a GUI on top of Bill Bushnell's
route and elevation data.

Indeed. The Avocet 50 one sees occasionally in my pictures is the one I
used to compile most of the SF Bay Area data. Keith added some of his own
data for certain regions, and I adjusted the raw data when cross-checking
with 7.5min topos, by increasing the climbing deltas--the Avocet 50
usually reports changes in elevation as smaller than they are.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old April 28th 05, 01:22 AM
Jerry

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
:

[...]

Indeed, I can vouch for the accuracy of Ciclosport (Model CM-434 in my
case). I've written software that extracts elevation data from
National Geograpic TOPO! (you can see profiles of well-known local
climbs at http://www.actc.org/profiles/index.php). I've found that a
30-ft minimum threshold applied to the raw data produces predicted
results within 5-10% of measured elevation gain reported by CM-434.
When available, these results are consistent with measurements
previously reported by Avocet-50. All other bike computer and map
software programs seem to predict artificially higher elevation gains.

In any event, roads that go straight up without break like Aborn
(http://www.actc.org/profiles/index.php?id=25) should produce an
elevation gain equal to the difference between the maximum and minimum
elevations (900 ft in this case).

Jerry Sch…