Special Olympics Cycling

Old July 19th 05, 02:05 AM
Bill C

Default Special Olympics Cycling

Things like this, which aren't rare, are why I love to help with their
events. I missed this due to having some large needles poked around in
my back. I was supposed to be there, the rest of our family was, and I
really regret missing it, but like I said the sportsmanship here is
typical.
If you get a chance to help and do, you wont regret it.
Snipped:

TWO
During the competition we could not figure out why one particular rider
had a time on one of his lap that was more than a minute slower than
his other laps. The Answer was provided by one of the course marshals.
As you know we have some athletes who race heavy three wheeled bikes.
One of the three wheelers was having difficulty cycling up the climb on
the course. A cyclist in another division came up behind the three
wheeler, got off his bike and pushed the three wheeler up the hill.
This cyclist then ran down the hill got on his bike and continued
racing.

Bill C

Old July 19th 05, 02:41 AM
David Ferguson

On 18 Jul 2005 18:05:40 -0700, "Bill C" wrote:

[...]

It was all I could do to not just post the word dumbass.

LMAO, literally.

Actually though, that's one of the best posts I've read on here
lately.

Thanks for sharing.

And you are right. I've helped in a local event and it's just the
best.

Old July 19th 05, 03:11 AM
Graham Dean

"Bill C" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You know - that brought a real smile to my face and wonderful image to my
mind... Thanks for posting
Bill!

Cheers,
Graham

Old July 19th 05, 03:23 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 18 Jul 2005 18:05:40 -0700, "Bill C" wrote:

TWO
During the competition we could not figure out why one particular rider
had a time on one of his lap that was more than a minute slower than
his other laps. The Answer was provided by one of the course marshals.
As you know we have some athletes who race heavy three wheeled bikes.
One of the three wheelers was having difficulty cycling up the climb on
the course. A cyclist in another division came up behind the three
wheeler, got off his bike and pushed the three wheeler up the hill.
This cyclist then ran down the hill got on his bike and continued
racing.

So cool.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 19th 05, 03:23 AM

Bill C a =E9crit :

During the competition we could not figure out why one particular rider
had a time on one of his lap that was more than a minute slower than
his other laps. The Answer was provided by one of the course marshals.
As you know we have some athletes who race heavy three wheeled bikes.
One of the three wheelers was having difficulty cycling up the climb on
the course. A cyclist in another division came up behind the three
wheeler, got off his bike and pushed the three wheeler up the hill.
This cyclist then ran down the hill got on his bike and continued
racing.

When the UCI takes over management of cycling in the special olympics,
and it will, such riders will be disqualifed.=20

-ilan

Old July 20th 05, 03:51 AM
ie

Before I moved a thousand miles away from my home town, I also volunteered
at the state special Olympics for years. It was 45 miles from home and our
club would ride to and from the event. The participants were so stoked to
see us on the course, marshalling and cheering for them in our kits.

My favorite memory was of the young man who was so excited when he crossed
the finish line that he grabbed the front brake. The helmet saved him, of
course, but his hands, knuckles, elbows and shoulders were bloodied from
hitting the pavement. He rolled and immediately lept up from the pavement
and was still cheering and running around, excited as hell about finishing.
God, I'll be he was sore as hell the next morning but it was obviously the
ride of a lifetime.

wrote in message
oups.com...