NY Tiimes article on biking

Old November 9th 05, 03:21 PM
Claire Petersky

Default NY Tiimes article on biking

"Paul Hobson" wrote in message

Seattle - seemed to be harmless, I can't quite recall though.

The area around the airport is a working class suburb. A couple of strip
joints and sleazy motels in the vicinity to serve a certain class of
traveler, but no one's forcing you to frequent them.

International Blvd (Hwy 99) is a bit of a bitch to ride on because of heavy
traffic, but the surrounding neighborhood streets are pleasant. Shortest
route from airport to downtown:
http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...guidemap06.htm. Best route:
http://www.cascade.org/Community/alternate_airport.cfm

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old November 9th 05, 06:40 PM
Matt O'Toole

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:30:06 -0800, rk73737 wrote:

I was thinking of JFK, LaGuardia, Logan, Miami and Newark (especially).
And I didn't mean always right next to the airport. I mean to get from
the airport to the downtown city you usually pass through high crime
neighborhoods. This is not the case in Holland. The guy from Holland
may not have know about the sections of Brooklyn he rode through are
very dangerous day or night.

I've spent plenty of time in "bad" neighborhoods, and
never had a problem. Same with the millions of other people who live in
these areas and go about their business every day, yet still seem to
survive. In fact, the chances of being a victim of violent crime, even in
"bad" areas, is vanishingly small.

Matt O.
Old November 10th 05, 03:03 AM

andy gee wrote:

Could we have a show of hands of everyone who has ridden through these
so-called "dangerous" sections, with a report about what happened?

I can't comment on _those_ specific "dangerous" sections. But I've
ridden many miles through "bad" areas of various towns. In fact, when
I first started cycle commuting, my route went through the "bad"
neighborhood adjacent to my own, and (depending on my mood) past a
rather notorious bar.

I had students who said I should never ride there. In fact, they
offered to drive me home to "save" me. But in no time, I had people
waving at me as I rode past.

Not to say there are no dangerous neighborhoods. But my bet is there
are many that are mis-labeled, or over-labeled.

- Frank Krygowski

Old November 10th 05, 03:07 PM
Claire Petersky

"Paul Hobson" wrote in message

Actually, Atlanta, for being so damned backwards when it come to
transportation, has a very nice system for getting to the airport. The
otherwise useless public transit authority has a station integrated into
the airport that dumps you out right at a Delta check-in counter (Atlanta
being the headquarters of Delta and all).

We have the opposite he I took public transportation to the airport
yesterday, and found that the stop was as far as it possibly could be from
the Alaska Airlines counter.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old November 10th 05, 03:23 PM
none

andy gee wrote:
Seriously, how far out of your way would you have to go to find a bad
neighborhood between Manhattan and Laguardia?

LaGuardia is near Rockaway and Canarsie, both high-crime areas.

-Mike