petitions.pm.gov.uk - cycle lanes

Old November 17th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default petitions.pm.gov.uk - cycle lanes

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ has a couple of petitions:

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to...

force all road designers to cycle on the cycle lanes they plan.

Build a world leading cycle lane infrastructure

62 and 122 votes as of my loading the page.

Some people here might like to vote :-)

Tim.

Old November 17th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

wrote on 17/11/2006 18:48 +0100:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ has a couple of petitions:

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to...

force all road designers to cycle on the cycle lanes they plan.

Build a world leading cycle lane infrastructure

62 and 122 votes as of my loading the page.

We have one. Its called the roads. Oh, I see, that's not what they meant.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old November 17th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Woodall

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:47:21 +0000,
Tony Raven wrote:
wrote on 17/11/2006 18:48 +0100:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ has a couple of petitions:

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to...

force all road designers to cycle on the cycle lanes they plan.

Build a world leading cycle lane infrastructure

62 and 122 votes as of my loading the page.

We have one. Its called the roads. Oh, I see, that's not what they meant.

I rather liked the first one. (couldn't be bothered to vote though :-)

It's hard to come up with a sensible petition though.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to...

Order councils to remove all cycle lanes less than 2m wide.

Order councils to remove all shared use cycle lanes on footways.

ensure that free cycle training is available for all children.

ensure that cyclists are allowed the free choice whether or not to wear
a cycle helmet. (should get support of the anti compulsion lobby whether
or not they are pro helmet)

enhance the safety of cyclists by banning cycle helmets. (sorry,
couldn't resist ;-)

Surely amongst us we can come up with at least one good, snappy petition
that can enhance the lot of cyclists without being (too) contentious or
misunderstood by the non-cyclist majority of the population.

Tim.

and there was light.

Old November 17th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Tim Woodall wrote on 17/11/2006 21:06 +0100:

Surely amongst us we can come up with at least one good, snappy petition
that can enhance the lot of cyclists without being (too) contentious or
misunderstood by the non-cyclist majority of the population.

Force Fat Eric and the Cookie Monster to do LEJOG on a tandem without
helmets?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old November 18th 06, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Tim Woodall wrote on 17/11/2006 21:06 +0100:

Surely amongst us we can come up with at least one good, snappy petition
that can enhance the lot of cyclists without being (too) contentious or
misunderstood by the non-cyclist majority of the population.

Force Fat Eric and the Cookie Monster to do LEJOG on a tandem without
helmets?

Are you really suggesting that Helmets should be forbidden?

Old November 18th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Following on from Tim Woodall's message. . .
ensure that free cycle training is available for all children.

STOP STOP STOP!

Do not fall into the trap of "cycle training is for children".
/Everyone/ needs it.

It is not something that children need but adults don't. Adults don't
learn how to cycle properly 'by doing it' all that happens is they get a
load of bad habits, fear and bad experience. Not only does that mean
unsafe adults on bikes but also lots of 'Cars are
safer/quicker/better/necessary than bikes' adults.

Tim, I know you didn't consciously mean all these things, but there's a
whole culture, especially now there's a training bandwagon, of "train
kids and you've done enough". URCers are savvy enough to know this
isn't true but are easily sucked in by the warm glow of somebody is
doing something at last for training for children.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the statuette business went bust

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old November 18th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

OG wrote on 18/11/2006 02:02 +0100:

Force Fat Eric and the Cookie Monster to do LEJOG on a tandem without
helmets?

Are you really suggesting that Helmets should be forbidden?

For those two yes. They are non cyclists who are trying to force
cyclists to wear helmets by law using a range of misleading information
and downright lies to do so.

A summary of their lies and misinformation is given at
http://www.b****.info/

Of course if they had a good case they wouldn't need to lie to make it.

The tandem ride would do them some good of actually knowing something
about what it is like to cycle (and they could do with the exercise).
The fact they survived LEJOG without suffering a serious head injury
might surprise them

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old November 18th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Peter Fox twisted the electrons to say:
Tim, I know you didn't consciously mean all these things, but there's a
whole culture, especially now there's a training bandwagon, of "train
kids and you've done enough".

I suspect you'd never manage to get large numbers of adults to actually
take cycle training (unless it was mandatory). Cycling is probably seen
as "easy" and cycle training as 'something for kids'.

OTOH, if you mandate cycle training for all school children and keep at
it then the number of sensible adult cyclists should start going up
eventually?
Old November 18th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GeoffC

Peter Fox wrote:
Following on from Tim Woodall's message. . .
ensure that free cycle training is available for all children.

STOP STOP STOP!

Do not fall into the trap of "cycle training is for children".
/Everyone/ needs it.

Do you think *you* need training then?

--

Geoff

Old November 18th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burt

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Tim Woodall wrote on 17/11/2006 21:06 +0100:

Surely amongst us we can come up with at least one good, snappy petition
that can enhance the lot of cyclists without being (too) contentious or
misunderstood by the non-cyclist majority of the population.

Force Fat Eric and the Cookie Monster to do LEJOG on a tandem without
helmets?

where are you going to get a tandem that strong?

Cycle lanes on all roads? Ben Thomas Australia 19 September 29th 06 05:00 AM
Now we know what cycle lanes are for David Hansen UK 10 June 22nd 05 02:29 PM
Cycle lanes on roundabouts Tim Woodall UK 70 April 23rd 05 09:53 AM
Cycle lanes in New Towns MartinM UK 5 April 5th 05 10:10 AM
Cycle Lanes AndyP UK 33 December 8th 03 12:43 PM