Why tour de france is so famous than other cycling grandtour competition

Old June 13th 07, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dgse

Default Why tour de france is so famous than other cycling grandtour competition

Why tour de france is so famous than other cycling grandtour
competition(Vuelta a España or Giro d'Italia )?

Old June 13th 07, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message .com, dgse
') wrote:

Why tour de france is so famous than other cycling grandtour
competition(Vuelta a España or Giro d'Italia )?

(i) it's older - has a longer tradition;
(ii) it's competed more strenuously - average speeds are higher;
(iii) more of the stars are there;
(iv) it gets more press coverage - better media support?

Personally I find the Giro more fun to watch - more epic climbs, and
somehow a less frenetic atmosphere.

"The result is a language that... not even its mother could
love. Like the camel, Common Lisp is a horse designed by
committee. Camels do have their uses."
;; Scott Fahlman, 7 March 1995

Old June 13th 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graeme Dods

On Jun 13, 2:50 pm, Simon Brooke wrote:
in message .com, dgse

') wrote:
Why tour de france is so famous than other cycling grandtour
competition(Vuelta a España or Giro d'Italia )?

(i) it's older - has a longer tradition;
(ii) it's competed more strenuously - average speeds are higher;
(iii) more of the stars are there;
(iv) it gets more press coverage - better media support?

I think 3 & 4 could be argued to be either cause or effect of the
TdF's fame. In terms of passively watching sport, I find almost all
sporting events to be like watching paint dry. At least on the rare
occasion I get to watch the TdF I can at least admire the scenery and
occasionally nudge my wife and say "I've been there" (an ongoing
competition between the two of us).

Graeme