29" tires - big volume

Old February 14th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Default 29" tires - big volume

What is the actual spacing between the legs of the KH frame?

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

Wouldn't the largest 29er tyre be the big apple or is that for the
coker*???* I always forget what that particular tyre is for.

--
Hazmat

1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

' My kind of driving with my favourite car.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-F_FpRBm6c)

'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

Hazmat wrote:
Wouldn't the largest 29er tyre be the big apple or is that for the
coker*???* I always forget what that particular tyre is for.

I think they're talking about Muni tyres... and the big apple is for
29s, yes...

--
jamessd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
Add me, but tel me who you are :

Kieron wrote:
I tell u wat they would have to be a very commited pedo to learn to ride
a unicycle in order to mingle with us, steel one of us and rape us in a
bush.

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

skilewis74 wrote:
From what I've read hear, not unless you pump it up to the max psi. and
at 25 psi. (I think) it's more like 2.3" wide. The sidewalls are
kindof thin and can wander unless you put it at like 50 psi. Also the
nobs are relatively short. Good for slick-rock, but very bad for sand
and mud, plus I think the tires life would be kind of short.

The weirwolf is the only tyre i've seen with such thin sidewalls that
you have to hold it on the rim until it's inflated, otherwise it just
falls off. Very fast and smoothe on good ground, but pumping it enough
to not puncture if you hit an edge leaves it rock hard and unforgiving
in drops. It holds suprisingly well in mud, good for forrest paths but
not much else.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DarkTom

Last week I fitted a Kenda Nevegal 29x2.2 to my uni. It had a worn big
apple before this.

Riding on roads with it pretty hard, it's good. Quite aggressive tread
but runs quite smooth when inflated hard. I reckon it would wear out
quick tho.

I took it to a MTB place (Drumlanrig) and was quite surprised at how
grippy it is. ++ This was my first muni on a 29" ++ There was a good 3
inches of mud over pretty much everything, but grip below. It did do a
bit of sliding around sideways but that was mainly due to me being out
of practise of uni-ing generally and not being used to the 29 fully.

When I first set off, I stopped to let some wind out (it was still hard
for the road), and rode off down the road to find the tracks. Aha! A
track off to my right, turn quickly, tyre folds, pings back, throws me
off. Stopped to put some wind back in and it was ok. I don't know
what PSI it was at, I use my fingers to judge.

There was lots of rooty sections too and I kept coming off cos I
thought the tyre would slip, and was expecting it to, but it didn't
slip once. Preparing for a slip was enough to throw me off.

Last night, I went out on the road again, well... the cycle path. I
hadn't put any more wind back in, instantly I noticed it felt much
better than other nights on cycle path. It was quite hard to turn tho,
unless I was really smooth I could feel the tyre bending and wanting to
ping me again. Then it threw me off into some gravel just cos I was
going fast! Altho I think this was my fault really!

I think this is a good tyre as it is really grippy, has a good fit and
grip on the rim, and is wide enough for a bit of bouncing. The
sidewalls could be a wee bit thicker but from what I read/hear it is
much better than other offerings.

I think for me personally, I need a wider rim and the tyre would be
great.

T.

--
DarkTom

*"DarkTom of Glasgow, one of the few uni riders here that you really
musn't mess with" - GkMac
"mondeos can fly" - Pebbles*

'koxx/onza trials uni for sale'
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

unijuul asked what was the biggest 700c tire that would fit the KH 29"
frame, not the biggest tire of all.

I'd still like to know the actual frame leg spacing; can someone
measure their KH frame just below the crown & post it?

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

I measured 8.6 cm side-to-side between the legs.

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

pkittle wrote:
Racing Ralph

Unfortunately, the 'Schwalbe website says that the Racing Ralph only
has \"average\" snake bite and sidewall protection'
(http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1785). I'd like to see one in
person before dropping $60+ on it. And, 640 g seems awfully light for
a tire that big, unless it's really thin.

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 15th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

DarkTom wrote:
Last week I fitted a Kenda Nevegal 29x2.2 to my uni. It had a worn big
apple before this.

Hey, Tom, is that the 29er I sold you? How's she holding up? Sounds
like you're treating her well, new shoes and all that

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com