What's YOUR static jump technique

Old October 12th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

Default What's YOUR static jump technique

Hey guys,

I've been static jumping for the majority of my riding, I'm wanting to
get really good at static so when I do pre-hops, I'll be awesome. My
record for static is 66 cm.'s I've gotten it 4 different times. (twice
in a row when my psi was 17)

What I'm bummed about is the fact that is not getting any easier to
hit. CAn you guys give me some tips on getting it more consistent.

Apart from the obvious *practice* how can I get more consistent at

compressing my tire (static)

tucking

timing

arm swing

not sure the name for this, but jumping and then pulling the unicycle
away to bring the tire up extra inches.

thanks for your opinion, they all help lots

--
hungry4uni

If only all bikes were cut in two

'My
Videos'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/mthomasdpm)
*'My
Sponsor' (www.sixsixone.com/)*
Old October 12th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Any Terrain

Well, I am amazed you have gotten this much static... I say just start
prehops now...

BUT if you really want to stay with static longer I would say don't
just practice your high jump. Try to get 60-65ish consistant, practice
tucking by doing tuck squats (whatever they are called.).
For tire compression: I say just compress and once it comes back up
jump, put a lot of force into getting the compression. And for the arm
swing try too start the swing slow when you are comming up from the
compression and then speed it up so that it is at its max a little
before get about 1/2 way up...

This is just my opinion. I stopped doing my sidehops static when i got
to 50ish cm.

--
Any Terrain

2nd Place*)---SuperWrap-'O,*
Old October 12th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

it's in my next video, which comes out in 2 weeks

Old October 12th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

What really gets me is seeing kids my height on videos reaching 66 now
problem, it seems so easy when I look at the footage, but when I go out
and try, its more dificult

Old October 13th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
padst3r

hungry4uni;1112111 wrote:
What really gets me is seeing kids my height on videos reaching 66 now
problem, it seems so easy when I look at the footage, but when I go out
and try, its more dificult

Its funny cause i havent seen many people at all your height getting 66
with no prehop easily.I think the best tip i can give you is be
consistant with practicing hops which youre are already doing quite
well.Try to make yourself really tall near the top of the object cause
it will increase your tuck a few extra cm's,For angling the tyre towards
the object youll need a bit of extra sideways momentum so you can stay
up.If you worked on your prehops you could probably get 75cm.Also dont
worry about tyre pressure cause i run mine pretty high and i can do 86cm
with no prehop and 100cm with a prehop.I think to get a really high
static hop you need to make the prehop quick and sharp like a snapping
action

--
padst3r

'My Videos' (http://www.youtube.com/padst3r)
Proud member of the Team Nelson Unicyclists
*)---', 6ft Static Gap
Old October 13th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

So basically,

keep doing what I'm doing

jump farther out

angle tire more

try to make the whole action faster

don't worry about psi

stand up tall

Great, though do you guys have any tucking tips?

Old October 13th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

Practicing static hops will do nothing to improve your jumps with
prehop. Give up on that now.

With that out of the way, it's not bad to avoid being beholden to
prehops, but you have to practice them, otherwise you won't be any good
at them at all.

There really is no advice to improve your hops. Instead of looking
online, go out and ride. you'll improve.

The way I learned sidehops was I would find a ledge which tapered from
~70cm-1m over a long distance, and work my way up it. My first hop would
be with a prehop to build confidence. After landing a couple of prehops,
I'd try no prehop. Once I landed that, I'd increase the height some, and
repeat. If I couldn't land a hop in 5-10 tries, i'd go back down a bit
and practice again. Practicing like that lets you hone both skills, and
is more encouraging than just failing at the same hop over and over
again.

Tire pressure is important, whatever others say. you want to be able to
snap your tire until your rim is a hair's breadth from bottoming out,
and then use all that snap to launch yourself. If your pressure is too
high, the snap is too small and happens too fast, so you go nowhere. If
your pressure is too low, you bottom out your rim, which does nothing
for you.

If it's any encouragement, I'm 1.7m tall and my best no-prehop jumps
were around 82cm. Prehops would generally add 10-15cm to that, depending
on space, etc.

Edit: Unless you hit yourself in the butt when you hop, you aren't
tucking enough.

--
gerblefranklin

(Shut up and ride)

Old October 13th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Any Terrain

gerblefranklin;1112275 wrote:
Practicing static hops will do nothing to improve your jumps with
prehop. Give up on that now.

With that out of the way, it's not bad to avoid being beholden to
prehops, but you have to practice them, otherwise you won't be any good
at them at all.

Well i dont really agree with this, It help up too a point, I think he
is at that point.
He still should practice them so he can hop up stuff from skinnies
though.

gerblefranklin;1112275 wrote:
There really is no advice to improve your hops. Instead of looking
online, go out and ride. you'll improve.

Tire pressure is important, whatever others say. you want to be able to
snap your tire until your rim is a hair's breadth from bottoming out,
and then use all that snap to launch yourself. If your pressure is too
high, the snap is too small and happens too fast, so you go nowhere. If
your pressure is too low, you bottom out your rim, which does nothing
for you.

If it's any encouragement, I'm 1.7m tall and my best no-prehop jumps
were around 82cm. Prehops would generally add 10-15cm to that, depending
on space, etc.

Edit: Unless you hit yourself in the butt when you hop, you aren't
tucking enough.

I agree with this. My prehops with almost bottoming out gave me 13ish
cm (well i am yet to hit it but i got up that much and my tire slipped,
can get it with practice)

--
Any Terrain

2nd Place*)---SuperWrap-'O,*
Old October 13th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
padst3r

hungry4uni;1112254 wrote:
So basically,

keep doing what I'm doing

jump farther out

angle tire more

try to make the whole action faster

don't worry about psi

stand up tall

Great, though do you guys have any tucking tips?

also, will increasing my prehop record help with static

Yeh thats exactly what i should have said .For tucking the only thing
i can give you about that is tuck untill you feel the tyre hit your
bum.Also remember to swing your arm down near the object after you land
to stay up.The best way too find out about technique is by watching joe
h or fabian hopping in slow motion

Old October 13th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

In my eyes:

The more psi (to a point) the better.
With less psi, you get less overall power with the hop.

--
SHAY_CAM

I do not support any canidates in the election.
Obama is a lier.
MCcain in a nazi.