Norco Monterey vx specialized Sirrus

Old April 27th 04, 09:08 PM

Default Norco Monterey vx specialized Sirrus

Hello,
I'm on the market for a hybrid bike. I essentially commute (30 Km per
day) and I am quite heavy (100 Kg) with sometimes a 14 Kg child on the
rear rack. I will occasionnaly ride in the rain and many times leave
the bike locked outside during the day.

One guy I know who owns a bike shop recommends the Norco Monterey. I
have this impresion (justified?) that a norco bike is less likely to
get stolen. It has a nexave 400 rear derailleur and Alex 700 c DM-18
double wall rims.

The Sirrus has a Shimano Sora rear derailleur and Alex DA-16, 700c,
alloy double wall, machined sidewalls rims. I tried the Sirrus, it is
pretty smooth but I fear the ride will be rough with the skinnier
tires with 110psi on our potholed streets.

I mention the rims because solidity is important, having broken many
spokes on my old bike. So my questions a

Which bike should I choose for durability and solidity?
Which derailleur set is superior. It is hard to compare them since
they are not considered to be in the same category. Essentially, is it
better to have the lowest road type deraileur (the sora) or a higher
level derailleur from the "comfort/hybrid" category (the nexave 400)

Thanks for any input.
JC