Hybrid Help?

Old January 17th 05, 12:41 AM
geemike

Default Hybrid Help?

Last year I rode a bike for the first time in 25 years. I bought
a Raleigh M-80 as an impulse purchase while buying my daughter a
bike for her birthday.

It was a surprise to me that I really got into riding. From June
to November I put about 900 miles on it (Catseye computer stopped
working in Oct). I ride paved roads only. My typical ride is 15
miles, I coast much of the first half and have to get the
elevation back after the turnaround. So I get a pretty good
workout. On weekends I like to punch that out to a 25 mile ride,
time permitting. I had slicks put on the Raleigh in September,
which reduced road drag considerably.

This year I'd like to ratchet my riding up a notch, and will
purchase a new bike to do so.
I think I want a hybrid bike, as I'm 5'5" and 225 lbs (FAT). So
that whole "upright riding position" thing will really be a
benefit for me. The LBS I've worked with is recommending a Trek
Pilot 2.1:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/en/Bikes/R...t_21/index.php

They won't have these in stock for two weeks, so I haven't had a
chance to spin one around the parking lot. They will mount an
extra set of hand brakes on the horizontal part of the bar and
probably replace the hb riser with a more upright one, as they did
on my Raleigh.

Fit will be a primary consideration in my purchase, as will build
quality and component set. My budget will be limited to $1500.

Anyone have opinions on this bike, and suggestions for competing
bikes in my price range?

Thanks

Mike G

Old January 17th 05, 01:03 AM
Ken

"geemike" wrote in
:
The LBS I've worked with is recommending a Trek
Pilot 2.1:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/en/Bikes/R...ot/Pilot_21/in
dex.php

Trek Pilot is new this year, so you're not going to get many experienced
recommendations. By definition, hybrid bikes are compromises. Different
models of bikes have different levels of compromise. You need to test ride a
bunch to see what fits your body and your riding style. None will be best for
everyone.

Old January 17th 05, 01:59 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

This year I'd like to ratchet my riding up a notch, and will purchase a
new bike to do so.
I think I want a hybrid bike, as I'm 5'5" and 225 lbs (FAT). So that
whole "upright riding position" thing will really be a benefit for me.
The LBS I've worked with is recommending a Trek Pilot 2.1:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/en/Bikes/R...t_21/index.php

They won't have these in stock for two weeks, so I haven't had a chance to
spin one around the parking lot. They will mount an extra set of hand
brakes on the horizontal part of the bar and probably replace the hb riser
with a more upright one, as they did on my Raleigh.

With an appropriate stem, you may not need to have the extra brake levers
across the front of the handlebar. Ideally, you should feel very comfortable
with your hands across the top of the shift/brake levers, and with modern
brakes, you'll find you have no need to go down into the drops (and a
less-comfortable position) for enough stopping power, even at 225lbs.

I'm somewhat puzzled with the fascination with extra brake levers. In many
cases, I think it's a bass-ackwards solution to the problem of handlebars
with too much forward reach. A more reasonable cure? A bar with less forward
reach. We're talking real rocket science here!

So, rather than add those extra brake levers, you might ask that they sub
the "flat-top" handlebars for a standard Bontrager bar. The reach will be
considerably less, and you'll be considerably more comfortable. In my humble
opinion, of course!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 17th 05, 02:46 AM
geemike

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...

So, rather than add those extra brake levers, you might ask that
they sub the "flat-top" handlebars for a standard Bontrager bar.
The reach will be considerably less, and you'll be considerably
more comfortable. In my humble opinion, of course!

Hmmm. That's worthy of consideration. What about the Carbon fork
and seat stays? When married to an aluminum frame, do these
improve ridability or are they just for there for marketing
purposes?

Mike G

Old January 17th 05, 02:52 AM
geemike

"Ken" wrote in message
"geemike" wrote in
:
The LBS I've worked with is recommending a Trek
Pilot 2.1:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/en/Bikes/R...ot/Pilot_21/in
dex.php

Trek Pilot is new this year, so you're not going to get many
experienced
recommendations. By definition, hybrid bikes are compromises.
Different
models of bikes have different levels of compromise. You need
to test ride a
bunch to see what fits your body and your riding style. None
will be best for
everyone.

Can you suggest a mfr. with a good linup of hybrids?

Mike

Old January 17th 05, 06:01 AM

Let's see, you say you are looking at a hybrid and want opinions on
what Trek refers to as a "performance road" bike. The Pilot isn't the
kind of bike you take out for 15 mile rides. When was the last time
you even rode a "10 speed" style bike? Have you started fitting
yourself for spandex yet, because without it you're going to find the
Pilot extrememly uncomfortable.

I don't see what is wrong with your current setup. A traditional
hybrid would give you a more upright sitting position over your M-80,
but I really doubt it would improve your distance or speed. A real
road bike would allow you to ride further and faster, but would also be
more uncomfortable. And an uncomfortable bike will not be ridden.

Since you say you want to ratchet up your riding, why don't you do that
with your current bike? Are you going so fast that you're running out
of gears? Do you lose confidence when cornering? Is there a reason
you can't pedal in the first half of your ride where you normally
coast?

Also, the carbon components should theoretically improve ride comfort
but given your inexperience it is doubtful you would notice. The same
goes for components in the price range you are talking about.

Old January 17th 05, 06:13 AM
maxo

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:41:58 -0700, geemike wrote:

Anyone have opinions on this bike, and suggestions for competing
bikes in my price range?

Well, I just want to give you kudos for getting a drop bar bike. Your LBS
has done the right thing in setting you up with a taller stem--I think
you'll LOVE the extra hand positions and will want to ride longer with the
added comfort.

Since you're a bit heavier, have you given some thought to a sturdier ride
(good for even lightweights that like durability)? I'm not saying the Trek
is bad at all, but you might like the durability and versatility of a bike
like the Jamis Nova, or a Surly.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_nova.html

I'm not saying get a Jamis, per se, but suggesting that it might be nice
to have a ride that you can put some wider rubber on and other
accessories, and punish a bit more, vs. just a dedicated roadie bike.

With the trek you're probably limited to a 28c wide tire (a perfect tire
width for most conditions, it's what I ride) but wouldn't it be fun to be
able to switch from some super skinnies to a floatier 37c wide tire and
perhaps ride some unpaved trails? You can even just check the sales on
line and get a cheap 2nd set of wheels, tires and cassette for $150 or so
and be able to switcheroo depending on your mood.

If indeed what you want is a fun swift dedicated sunny day bike, the Trek
looks like a fine ride.

Do also think about yer butt. Most stock saddles suck. So you might want
to set aside 50-100 bucks for a nicer one that fits your particulars.

Old January 17th 05, 06:18 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

What about the Carbon fork and seat stays? When married to an aluminum
frame, do these improve ridability or are they just for there for
marketing purposes?

Both. Carbon damps vibration (you could say it doesn't carry a tune), and
also drops a bit of weight without sacrificing strength. And, of course,
carbon is the material of the day, favored by Lance etc., so it obviously
has marketing significance as well.

Old January 17th 05, 06:29 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Let's see, you say you are looking at a hybrid and want opinions on
what Trek refers to as a "performance road" bike. The Pilot isn't the
kind of bike you take out for 15 mile rides. When was the last time
you even rode a "10 speed" style bike? Have you started fitting
yourself for spandex yet, because without it you're going to find the
Pilot extrememly uncomfortable.

That's not entirely fair; he did say that he does 25 mile rides on weekends,
and a road bike will definitely have advantages on rides of that length.
Also, a new bike isn't just about how you use one now, it's also about the
dream of how you'll ride in the future.

I don't see what is wrong with your current setup. A traditional
hybrid would give you a more upright sitting position over your M-80,
but I really doubt it would improve your distance or speed. A real
road bike would allow you to ride further and faster, but would also be
more uncomfortable. And an uncomfortable bike will not be ridden.

I strongly disagree with the premise that a road bike is going to be less
comfortable than a hybrid. The multiple hand positions afforded by a
standard road bar do a lot to reduce the type of discomfort some feel from a
handlebar that offers only one position. Road bikes get a bad rap, from a
comfort standpoint, because most are set up with too long and too low a
stem, something that, in most cases, can be dealt with fairly easily. The
Pilot that he's looking at has a considerably higher starting position for
the handlebar than a standard road bike, for what it's worth.

Since you say you want to ratchet up your riding, why don't you do that
with your current bike? Are you going so fast that you're running out
of gears? Do you lose confidence when cornering? Is there a reason
you can't pedal in the first half of your ride where you normally
coast?

Also, the carbon components should theoretically improve ride comfort
but given your inexperience it is doubtful you would notice. The same
goes for components in the price range you are talking about.

If there's a difference in ride comfort, why does it take an "experienced"
rider to notice it? I would argue that a less strong rider is probably going
to benefit more from something that adds comfort than someone who's so fit
that they're hardly making contact with their saddle (because their legs are
so strong they're basically pushing the cyclist "up") and they're likely to
have a much more robust upper body, which deals better with road shock etc.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Decent Hybrid - advice please Saint UK 15 June 23rd 04 12:23 AM
Hybrid tyre choice DRS Australia 20 March 8th 04 11:15 AM
picking a hybrid tonyB UK 3 February 17th 04 08:49 AM
want opinion on my decision to buy hybrid Tune2828 General 16 January 28th 04 07:38 PM
Tourer or hybrid? NC UK 3 December 1st 03 09:49 AM