Common Cause - Just zis Website

Old May 31st 05, 04:14 PM
Dave Larrington

Dave Larrington wrote:

"efficiciemcy"

(Tolchocks self ruthlessly about gulliver with copy of the OED)

Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise man would
rather be seated upon the back of a bee.

Old May 31st 05, 04:16 PM
Adrian

Dave Larrington ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Dave Larrington wrote:

"efficiciemcy"

(Tolchocks self ruthlessly about gulliver with copy of the OED)

It fitted with the style of the rest of the post so well, I assumed it was
deliberate...
Old May 31st 05, 05:55 PM
Wiggums

Okay, apparently, the definition of "many" is too vague for some folks.

On the M4 from London towards the Heathrow airport, some cars would
quickly hit 100 once passing the derestriction sign a bit past where A4
turns into M4. Arizona for 2 hours straight on a barren desert
highway, nobody would dare hit 100. I have no doubt in my mind the
85th percentile speed on a UK motorway would be significantly higher
than that of the U.S.

Old May 31st 05, 06:11 PM
Brimstone

Wiggums wrote:
Okay, apparently, the definition of "many" is too vague for some
folks.

On the M4 from London towards the Heathrow airport, some cars would
quickly hit 100 once passing the derestriction sign a bit past where
A4 turns into M4. Arizona for 2 hours straight on a barren desert
highway, nobody would dare hit 100. I have no doubt in my mind the
85th percentile speed on a UK motorway would be significantly higher
than that of the U.S.

My boss when I was in the army rented a car to drive from Calgary to San
Francisco and elsewhere, this was in national 55mph max days. He got pulled
ast 75mph or so and was asked (amongst other things) if he drove "that fast
in Europe". Copper was a bit put out when my man replied that he normally
drove considerably faster - we were stationed in Germany at the time..

Old May 31st 05, 07:05 PM
Wiggums

It's like that all over Europe, except a few that employ speed cameras
with nearly zero tolerance (i.e., the Netherlands). The UK allows a
lot of leeway in theirs and I'm told the French are no longer allowing
leeway.

Getting pulled over for going a few miles an hour above 65 in
Pennsylvania got the cop to ask me, "Where ya from?" I replied,
"California." This jerk had the gall to mention, "No wonder it's a
bloodbath!" He started getting all huffy when I was like, "But the
limit's 65." when I was told I was going a bit above 65.

The Americans, even with a few cars hitting 100 mph, drive incredibly
slow compared to the Europeans!

Old May 31st 05, 07:30 PM
Arif Khokar

Wiggums wrote:

The Americans, even with a few cars hitting 100 mph, drive incredibly
slow compared to the Europeans!

I usually drive between 80 and 90 mph on interstate highways. On
occasion, I will drive above 100 mph, but not often. I have gone 145
mph in the past.
Old June 1st 05, 10:58 AM
Dave Larrington

Wiggums wrote:

Arizona for 2 hours straight on a barren desert
highway, nobody would dare hit 100.

I have a confession to make...

Here, take these cheese-shaped stilts. You'll know when to use them.

Old June 2nd 05, 06:44 AM
The Real Bev

Arif Khokar wrote:

Wiggums wrote:

The Americans, even with a few cars hitting 100 mph, drive incredibly
slow compared to the Europeans!

I usually drive between 80 and 90 mph on interstate highways. On
occasion, I will drive above 100 mph, but not often. I have gone 145
mph in the past.

BMW stopped running the US coast-to-coast 'race' it sponsored when speeds
started averaging over 100 mph. They claimed safety, but I KNOW it was fear
of lawyers.

--
Cheers,
Bev