Ilegal to ride on the sidewalks??

Old October 5th 05, 07:50 PM
Atlbike

Default Ilegal to ride on the sidewalks??

I took the effective cycling class given by the American League of
Bicyclists. In that class I was told that riding on sidewalks is a
no-no, that instead riders should learn to take the lane if they feel
in danger. I agree with this in most cases. They even went so far to
say that riding a bike on the sidewalk is against the law. Well, I've
been reading the Georgia code as it pertains to bikes and haven't found
anything saying that riding a sidewalk is illegal. I know that cities
have ordinances saying this is illegal (it makes sense to not ride on
the side walk in a city), but I haven't found anything at the state
level. If someone could point me to this I would really appreciate it.

Did anyone out there have trouble with the class going so far as to say
you were breaking the law if you rode on a sidewalk? I consider myself
to be a very advanced commuter and find myself using the sidewalk at
times. The reason being that Atlanta is one of the most unfriendly bike
cities in the US. The video I was shown in the effective cycling class
about taking your lane, was on flat roads in more of a downtown
district. Also, the class training ride went through downtown Decatur.
A place where traffic speeds are slow and stop lights plenty which
allow taking the lane to be fairly easy. But what about once you get
outside of the downtown area and are faced with narrow roads, speeding
traffic, and hills? Taking the lane becomes much more of a challenge on
these roads, even for a seasoned commuter like myself. I find it hard
to tell the people that I help with riding to work that riding on the
sidewalk is illegal and they should always take the lane. Some roads
are just too dangerous to take the lane for a beginning commuter. I
would rather warn them of the danger of sidewalks, and explain the
technique of taking the lane and let them decide what they feel is
safest. I don't think this logic would work well with the American
League of Bicyclists which is why I'm looking for some
thoughts/suggestions.

Sincerely,
Jack Younkins
Atlanta Bike Commuter
www.atlbike.net

Old October 5th 05, 07:55 PM
rdclark

Atlbike wrote:
I took the effective cycling class given by the American League of
Bicyclists. In that class I was told that riding on sidewalks is a
no-no, that instead riders should learn to take the lane if they feel
in danger. I agree with this in most cases. They even went so far to
say that riding a bike on the sidewalk is against the law. Well, I've
been reading the Georgia code as it pertains to bikes and haven't found
anything saying that riding a sidewalk is illegal. I know that cities
have ordinances saying this is illegal (it makes sense to not ride on
the side walk in a city), but I haven't found anything at the state
level. If someone could point me to this I would really appreciate it.

To the best of my knowledge, all such ordnances are local, and tend to
vary in their specifics.

The main problem with sidewalk riding is that it tends to be more
dangerous for the rider. Cars coming into and out or driveways,
particularly, are looking for cross traffic on the street, not on the
sidewalk.

RichC

Old October 5th 05, 08:08 PM
Veloise

Jack wrote:
I took the effective cycling class given by the American League of
Bicyclists.

Actually, it's League of American Bicyclists, but we knew what you
meant. Effective Cycling is a trademark and deserves initial caps.

In that class I was told that riding on sidewalks is a
no-no, ...They even went so far to
say that riding a bike on the sidewalk is against the law. Well, I've
been reading the Georgia code as it pertains to bikes and haven't found
anything saying that riding a sidewalk is illegal. I know that cities
have ordinances saying this is illegal (it makes sense to not ride on
the side walk in a city), but I haven't found anything at the state
level. If someone could point me to this I would really appreciate it.

States do not have jurisdiction over sidewalks; they are installed and
maintained at the local level. You'd have to check with each
municipality for their specific regs. (E.g. I am in Grand Rapids, Mich,
where adults are not permitted to ride on sidewalks that happen to be
downtown.)

...I consider myself
to be a very advanced commuter and find myself using the sidewalk at
times.

Sometimes a short ride down a sidewalk saves a couple of miles on a
street, or is the only way to provide access to another area.

The reason being that Atlanta is one of the most unfriendly bike
cities in the US. The video I was shown in the effective cycling class
about taking your lane, was on flat roads in more of a downtown
district. Also, the class training ride went through downtown Decatur.
A place where traffic speeds are slow and stop lights plenty which
allow taking the lane to be fairly easy. But what about once you get
outside of the downtown area and are faced with narrow roads, speeding
traffic, and hills?

There are sidewalks in those locations??

Taking the lane becomes much more of a challenge on
these roads, even for a seasoned commuter like myself. I find it hard
to tell the people that I help with riding to work that riding on the
sidewalk is illegal and they should always take the lane.

EC allows for local variations.

Some roads are just too dangerous to take the lane for a beginning
commuter. I would rather warn them of the danger of sidewalks, and
explain the technique of taking the lane and let them decide what they feel is safest.

IIRC there's something in there about finding an alternate route. Often
there's a parallel street that provides a much more suitable
entry-level commuter experience. The fact remains: drivers using the
street are not looking for traffic on a sidewalk, and riding there
increases the number of intersections by a huge amount.

I don't think this logic would work well with the American League of
Bicyclists [sic] which is why I'm looking for some thoughts/suggestions.

Read my post about their top 25 most influential picks ("who else did
they miss?"); logic is not a factor. Besides, you're attempting to
provide guidance to entry-level commuters, not persuade L.A.B. HQ
staff.

HTH

--Karen D.
certified as an Effective Cycling instructor 25 years ago

Old October 5th 05, 09:53 PM

In article . com,
Atlbike wrote:
I took the effective cycling class given by the American League of
Bicyclists. In that class I was told that riding on sidewalks is a
no-no, that instead riders should learn to take the lane if they feel
in danger. I agree with this in most cases. They even went so far to
say that riding a bike on the sidewalk is against the law. Well, I've
been reading the Georgia code as it pertains to bikes and haven't found
anything saying that riding a sidewalk is illegal. I know that cities
have ordinances saying this is illegal

This is a city issue. If you think that cycling on a particular road is
too dangerous for some reason and the sidewalk is the only option, then
you should walk your bike on the sidewalk or (if legal) ride at a walking
speed. Sidewalks are generally not designed to be safe at normal
bicycling speeds.
Old October 5th 05, 10:41 PM
Paul Hobson

Atlbike wrote:
[is sidewalk riding illegal in Atlanta???]

YES it's illegal!!! Don't do it!

http://bicyclegeorgia.com/galaw.html

hit control+F for and search for "sidewalk"...it's right there.

ride safely!
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old October 5th 05, 11:08 PM
mark

"Atlbike" wrote...
I took the effective cycling class given by the American League of
Bicyclists. In that class I was told that riding on sidewalks is a
no-no, that instead riders should learn to take the lane if they feel
in danger. I agree with this in most cases. They even went so far to
say that riding a bike on the sidewalk is against the law. Well, I've
been reading the Georgia code as it pertains to bikes and haven't found
anything saying that riding a sidewalk is illegal. I know that cities
have ordinances saying this is illegal (it makes sense to not ride on
the side walk in a city), but I haven't found anything at the state
level. If someone could point me to this I would really appreciate it.

AIUI, Colorado law says that a person riding a bicycle on the sidewalk
assumes the rights & resposibilities of a pedestrian (use crosswalks, watch
out for other pedestrians, etc.), while a person bicycling on a roadway
assumes the rights & responsibilities of a vehicle operator (ride with the
flow of traffic, obey stop signs & traffic lights, etc.). The law does allow
cities and towns to pass local ordinances forbidding sidewalk cycling. Most
of the people I see cycling on the sidewalk around here are extremely
wobbly, I don't think they would last too long if they were to cycle in the
roadway.
--
mark

Old October 6th 05, 12:29 AM
DrLith

Paul Hobson wrote:
Atlbike wrote:
[is sidewalk riding illegal in Atlanta???]

YES it's illegal!!! Don't do it!

http://bicyclegeorgia.com/galaw.html

hit control+F for and search for "sidewalk"...it's right there.

ride safely!
\\paul

I fail to see where it prohibits riding on the sidewalk. Transporting an
infant under 1 year of age on a bicycle on a sidewalk in anything other
than an infant sling or trailer--illegal. Rider under age of 16 riding
on sidewalk without a helmet--illegal. But nothing prohibiting riding on
the sidewalk per se. As long as you're over the age of 16 and/or wearing
a helmet, and not carrying a baby in your back pocket, it seems like
you're ok.
Old October 6th 05, 12:44 AM
Atlbike

I agree with the post above. No where does the law say it's illegal for
someone over the age of 16 wearing a helmet without a child to ride on
the sidewalk. I agree that riding on the sidewalk is not a smart thing
to do in most situations, but the Effective Cycling classes cannot tell
people something that isn't true.

Old October 6th 05, 01:01 AM
Bill

Atlbike wrote:
I agree with the post above. No where does the law say it's illegal for
someone over the age of 16 wearing a helmet without a child to ride on
the sidewalk. I agree that riding on the sidewalk is not a smart thing
to do in most situations, but the Effective Cycling classes cannot tell
people something that isn't true.

If and only if all streets and sidewalks were built to the same code
with adequate bike lanes and sidewalks could the law be made equal in
all cases. In the real world that just isn't realistic. As you ride from
one end of a town to the other, say the old town center to the new and
improved center, with YOUR tax dollars you will see a change. Some parts
of my town have excellent bike lanes 6 feet wide, yet others have
neither a bike lane or a sidewalk. You just have to adapt, but if you
have to ride on a sidewalk, do it at fast walking speed and not at 25
MPH. Also stop at all the car intersections and proceed very carefully
so as not to get yourself or anyone else hurt. If you are commuting you
don't have to play speed demon, just get to work and back home safely.
Common sense is a good thing to use and some of the laws were made by
non bikers. How many lawmakers at any level really ride a bike or have
ever ridden one seriously enough to make laws about them. If you take
the President (Bush) for an example he might want to outlaw them because
he keeps falling off.
I hope he learns to stay on the bike some day.
Bill Baka
Old October 6th 05, 02:06 AM
Paul Hobson

Bill wrote:
Atlbike wrote:

I agree with the post above. No where does the law say it's illegal for
someone over the age of 16 wearing a helmet without a child to ride on
the sidewalk. I agree that riding on the sidewalk is not a smart thing
to do in most situations, but the Effective Cycling classes cannot tell
people something that isn't true.

well, I concede that my link didn't help my point. But if you live
around Atlanta, the sidewalks will not provide an effective method of
transportation if you're on a bike. Either they don't exists (outside
the city) or they're in poor shape and very crowded (inside the city).
Personally, I'd rather **** off a car citing in traffic than a
hit/injure pedestrian who's smart enough to actually get where he/she is
going

If and only if all streets and sidewalks were built to the same code
with adequate bike lanes and sidewalks could the law be made equal in
all cases. In the real world that just isn't realistic. As you ride from
one end of a town to the other, say the old town center to the new and
improved center, with YOUR tax dollars you will see a change. Some parts
of my town have excellent bike lanes 6 feet wide, yet others have
neither a bike lane or a sidewalk. You just have to adapt, but if you
have to ride on a sidewalk, do it at fast walking speed and not at 25
MPH.

exactly

Also stop at all the car intersections and proceed very carefully
so as not to get yourself or anyone else hurt.

something the sidewalk riders don't do here. they "jay-walk" at 12 mph
without looking either way.

If you are commuting you
don't have to play speed demon, just get to work and back home safely.
Common sense is a good thing to use and some of the laws were made by
non bikers. How many lawmakers at any level really ride a bike or have
ever ridden one seriously enough to make laws about them. If you take
the President (Bush) for an example he might want to outlaw them because
he keeps falling off.
I hope he learns to stay on the bike some day.
Bill Baka

Perhaps he's be better suited learning how to properly fall? [runs like
hell]

\\paul