"City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

Old September 30th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
A Muzi

Default "City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

SMS wrote:

The problem with most of the dynamo lights is they are a _big_
compromise in terms of optics. They illuminate a very limited area
very well, but don't have sufficient peripheral illumination. They do
the best they can with the limited available power from the dynamo.

Tim McNamara wrote:
You keep saying that over and over and over, as if mere repetition
constitutes proof. But your claim is simple bull****. It would seem
from your many posts that you ought to be seeing an ophthalmologist
about your vision problem.

But Tim, can't he see you about the attitude problem?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old September 30th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Keats

In article om,
landotter writes:
On Sep 30, 3:22 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
SMS writes:

Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, (Tom Keats) wrote:

Thank you, I will. At least, the mechanised/motorized ones
that slide out like a CD player tray. I also like to make
fun of electric toothbrushes, electric backscratchers,
electric card shufflers, etc.

Actually electric toothbrushes can be useful as they generally will do a
better job then you can do by hand. One thing that is useless, like the
other two you list, is electric can openers. And then maybe electric
knives, though I've never used one.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Electric knives are useful when cutting up things like turkeys or large
roasts. Also good for cutting homemade bread without destroying the loaf.

It seems you don't know how to sharpen a kitchen carving knife,
nor the cooling stage at which to carve or cut cooked stuff.
It's an ancient, time-honoured skill which predates electric
gadgetry.

Nah, electric knives are the bomb! And I own several fancy sharpening
stones and knives which you can literally shave with. The electric
knife is good for filleting fish, carving up whole salamis, and
slicing hams. It's for folks that want a deli slicer, but won't use it
enough. Thrift stores always have one for $2 or so.

I downright refuse to assault a roast turkey or
cross-rib or leg of lamb with a de-glorified
hedge-trimmer/chainsaw.

And I'm not a Luddite. I'm all for technological
advance. What I'm against is technological
trivialization and gadgetification. Imposing those
on bicycles is particularly egregious.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 30th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
landotter

On Sep 30, 4:59 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

SMS writes:

Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

Yeah, right. I heard the story about you, the pork loin, the twin, and
the shellac. Ugly stuff. You'll think differently next time you go to
the deli, come home and get "salami arm" from the manual method.

Old October 1st 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace

On Sep 30, 3:59 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

I downright refuse to assault a roast turkey or
cross-rib or leg of lamb with a de-glorified
hedge-trimmer/chainsaw.

And I'm not a Luddite. I'm all for technological
advance. What I'm against is technological
trivialization and gadgetification. Imposing those
on bicycles is particularly egregious.

cheers,
Tom

Dear Tom,

You _roast_ the turkey before you eat it?

Hmmm . . . I'll have to chew that technology over a bit.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old October 1st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Paul O

Tom Keats wrote:
snip
I /won't/ make fun of no-draft windows on cars, nor
manual chokes. Those relics were actually practical.

snip

cheers,
Tom

Manual chokes are very practical - if you have a carburetor.
I'll stick with my modern, more reliable fuel-injected engine. Thank you
very much. ;-)

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)
Old October 1st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
vey

Tom Keats wrote:

I downright refuse to assault a roast turkey or
cross-rib or leg of lamb with a de-glorified
hedge-trimmer/chainsaw.

Even Alton Brown, geek extraordinare uses an electric knife for certain
things. According to his book, the first electric knife was sold by
sporting goods stores for cleaning fish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Brown
Old October 1st 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
SMS

Gooserider wrote:

Cheaper is better for a dedicated commuter, I think. Of course, that depends
on the type of commute. But for something that may be locked to a rack all
day, or will be used for stops at the grocery store on the way home from
work---yes. They're making a big deal about the dynohub lights, but I don't
know how bright these lights will be. I know that there are good generator
lights(Lumotec, etc), but are these cheap ones good?

Many of the so-called commuter bikes lack a chain guard. This is an
omission you'd never see on a commuter bike in the Netherlands or in
China. It's nearly impossible to add a chain guard after the fact. Hebie
in Germany sells some, but you can't easily buy them.
"http://www.hebie.de/pdf/hebie_web_katalog_en.pdf" page 30-51).

A multi-speed bicycle that you can just get on and ride, in your regular
clothes, to the market or to a friend's house, that costs less than
$400. The components don't have to be top of the line, and it doesn't
have to weigh 20 pounds. When you take it home from the store, it
already has the fenders, rack, and chain guard installed, they are not
retail priced add-ons that add $75-100 to the price.

The lights are an issue as the cheaper dyno lights aren't all that
great, and even the expensive ones aren't bright enough for a lot of
commute situations. But you can always supplement the included dynohub
lights with more powerful lights if the situation demands it.

Performance has done well, apparently, with their Schwinn World Avenue,
which is $325-500 depending on when you buy it. At least it's sold well
enough that some sizes are often out of stock.