Bikes on Buses in ACT

Old December 14th 05, 04:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Bikes on Buses in ACT

Bike riders and bus users can now combine their travel with ACTION’s new

bike racks with the launch today by Planning Minister Simon Corbell of
the
new Bike ‘n Ride service.

The bike racks have been fitted to all of the 55 ACTION buses servicing
the
Intertown bus route (300 series). The Intertown route provides a high
frequency service between Canberra’s four main town centres of
Tuggeranong,
Woden, The City and Belconnen. They are operational from today.

“Bike ’n Ride is a great way to mix exercise with daily commuting. Now
you
can ride to work and catch a bus home. Or you can ride to the nearest
bus
interchange and catch a bus the rest of the way”, Mr Corbell said.

“If it’s raining or you just need a lift, simply make your way to the
nearest Intertown bus stop and let ACTION do the driving.

“This Government committed $345,000 for the introduction of the trial
of
bike racks. The bike racks are another initiative of the ACT
Government’s
Sustainable Transport Plan by encouraging the use of alternative forms
of
transport to work.

“The racks are simple and safe to use. Bike racks are already in use
in
Brisbane along with many other countries around the world.”

Mr Corbell said there was no extra cost to use the bike rack.

Additional information is available from the ACTION website:
www.action.act.gov.au or by calling ACTION on 13 17 10.

--
flyingdutch

Old December 14th 05, 04:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
Bike riders and bus users can now combine their travel with ACTION’s new

bike racks with the launch today by Planning Minister Simon Corbell of
the
new Bike ‘n Ride service.

Good news :-)

--
EuanB

Old December 14th 05, 06:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

A few folk who have fought hard for this in Brisbane will be pleased!

Donga

Old December 14th 05, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Jeez, I'm hoping this doesn't happen in Sydney, it's bad enough with women
trying to muck around with their $800 Bentley baby buggies let alone having
to cope with bikes as well. just kidding!!

Having not seen the Canberra Action Buses set -up, can someone enlighten me
about how long it takes from the time the bus stops, put bike on rack,
enter,pay fare then be seated. Please let me know this as I am interested in
the concept but as it can get so congested at times bussing it to the city,
how much longer would this delay a service? We're struggling to keep
anything that resembles a timetable now.
thanks

DJ

Old December 14th 05, 06:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

Bike riders and bus users can now combine their travel with ACTION's new

bike racks with the launch today by Planning Minister Simon Corbell of
the
new Bike 'n Ride service.

Snip

Now we need some in Melbourne!

Old December 14th 05, 08:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle

http://www.action.act.gov.au/bikenride.cfm

--
aeek

Old December 14th 05, 09:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle

DJ Wrote:

Jeez, I'm hoping this doesn't happen in Sydney, it's bad enough with
women
trying to muck around with their $800 Bentley baby buggies let alone
having
to cope with bikes as well. just kidding!!

Having not seen the Canberra Action Buses set -up, can someone
enlighten me
about how long it takes from the time the bus stops, put bike on rack,
enter,pay fare then be seated. Please let me know this as I am
interested in
the concept but as it can get so congested at times bussing it to the
city,
how much longer would this delay a service? We're struggling to keep
anything that resembles a timetable now.
thanks

DJ

you mean as opposed to bus crawling along behind bike in same lane?
the racks only accomodate (by the look of the pix) 2-4 so its only
gonna happen presumably on an irregular basis.

--
flyingdutch

Old December 15th 05, 03:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
you mean as opposed to bus crawling along behind bike in same lane?
the racks only accomodate (by the look of the pix) 2-4 so its only
gonna happen presumably on an irregular basis.

Yep, two bikes maximum and don't expect to get it to fit if it's
anything other than a MTB - Hybrid - Roadie.
No folders, bents or EFRD bikes
Secured quickly with a spring loaded hook over front wheel.
Racked buses run on intertown (Belconnen, City, Woden, Tuggeranong)
routes so not so many stops.
Used to good effect by recent competitors in the Urbane Polarus -
"nothing in the rule book!"
Pete

--
Poiter

Old December 15th 05, 11:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

DJ Wrote:

[...]

I wonder about the concept of bikes holding up busses. I'm not fast, but I
get held up by busses, not the other way around. They might lose 20 seconds
if they build up a decent head of steam before having to pull over at the
next stop and then I'm gone.

Old December 17th 05, 01:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Resound" == Resound writes:

Resound I wonder about the concept of bikes holding up busses. I'm
Resound not fast, but I get held up by busses, not the other way
Resound around. They might lose 20 seconds if they build up a
Resound decent head of steam before having to pull over at the next
Resound stop and then I'm gone.

It depends on the route and the time of day. I use Blackburn Road a
fair bit which serves a number of bus routes. Given that on the way to
work it's predominantly uphill it needs to be quite congested for me to
have a faster instantaneous speed than a bus, however with the bus
stopping every five hundred meters or so my average speed may be
greater.

The problem is that I can easily overtake a stopped bus in relatively
clear conditions only to have it breathing down my neck again. There's
no doubt that I delay it by a few seconds. For a number of months now
if a bus overtakes me I just ease right off the gas and do not overtake
it. I find that while I may lose a couple of minutes of my journey it's
a lot less stressful for all concerned. Bus drivers see me do this and
I think the appreciate it.

Also consider that a well used bus is using a lot less space than the
equivalent number of bicycles and a **** load less than the equivalent
number of cars. If you care about such things doing what you can to
make bus travel more pleasant is a good thing.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,