My Shaft Drive Bike

Old December 8th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ShaftMan

Default My Shaft Drive Bike

Hi Group,

I've read the previous posts on shaft drive bikes, but never knew
anybody that actually owned one. I have a shaft drive road bike.

See http://i11.tinypic.com/2qwegi0.jpg

Yes....made in the 21st century. I'm having a blast with it. My
complaint
with the bike has nothing to do with the shaft drive, but with the
Shimano
Nexus, 7 speed hub transmission. I need it to have a lower gear ratio
for hill
climbing. I can easily swap the shaft/gear to a lower ratio for $79 and
lower
the top end too.........or just get stronger.

Happy trails.

ShaftMan

Old December 8th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot

ShaftMan wrote:
Hi Group,

I've read the previous posts on shaft drive bikes, but never knew
anybody that actually owned one. I have a shaft drive road bike.

See http://i11.tinypic.com/2qwegi0.jpg

Yes....made in the 21st century. I'm having a blast with it. My
complaint with the bike has nothing to do with the shaft drive, but
with the Shimano Nexus, 7 speed hub transmission. I need it to have a
lower gear ratio for hill climbing. I can easily swap the shaft/gear
to a lower ratio for $79 and lower the top end too.........or just
get stronger.

As a commuter, I could see it, but a road bike? Why in heavens name?
Old December 8th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bill

Tosspot wrote:
ShaftMan wrote:
Hi Group,

I've read the previous posts on shaft drive bikes, but never knew
anybody that actually owned one. I have a shaft drive road bike.

See http://i11.tinypic.com/2qwegi0.jpg

Yes....made in the 21st century. I'm having a blast with it. My
complaint with the bike has nothing to do with the shaft drive, but
with the Shimano Nexus, 7 speed hub transmission. I need it to have a
lower gear ratio for hill climbing. I can easily swap the shaft/gear
to a lower ratio for $79 and lower the top end too.........or just
get stronger.

As a commuter, I could see it, but a road bike? Why in heavens name?

it looks like a commuter to me: thick tyres, block pedals with no
clips, and very high bars.

Old December 8th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot

bill wrote:
Tosspot wrote:

ShaftMan wrote:

Hi Group,

I've read the previous posts on shaft drive bikes, but never knew
anybody that actually owned one. I have a shaft drive road bike.

See http://i11.tinypic.com/2qwegi0.jpg

Yes....made in the 21st century. I'm having a blast with it. My
complaint with the bike has nothing to do with the shaft drive, but
with the Shimano Nexus, 7 speed hub transmission. I need it to have a
lower gear ratio for hill climbing. I can easily swap the shaft/gear
to a lower ratio for $79 and lower the top end too.........or just
get stronger.

As a commuter, I could see it, but a road bike? Why in heavens name?

it looks like a commuter to me: thick tyres, block pedals with no
clips, and very high bars.

peers again Hmmmm...Mutton dressed as lamb then. Interesting though
(I'm geeky). Wonder how long that shaft lasts.
Old December 8th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On 8 Dec 2006 09:51:46 -0800, "ShaftMan" wrote:

Hi Group,

I've read the previous posts on shaft drive bikes, but never knew
anybody that actually owned one. I have a shaft drive road bike.

See http://i11.tinypic.com/2qwegi0.jpg

Yes....made in the 21st century. I'm having a blast with it. My
complaint
with the bike has nothing to do with the shaft drive, but with the
Shimano
Nexus, 7 speed hub transmission. I need it to have a lower gear ratio
for hill
climbing. I can easily swap the shaft/gear to a lower ratio for $79 and
lower
the top end too.........or just get stronger.

Why not contact Schlumpf and see if they could buld a two-speed BB to
mate with the front gearbox?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 8th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Shaft Man? writes:

I've read the previous posts on shaft drive bikes, but never knew
anybody that actually owned one. I have a shaft drive road bike:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2qwegi0.jpg

Yes... Made in the 21st century. I'm having a blast with it. My
complaint with the bike has nothing to do with the shaft drive, but
with the Shimano Nexus, 7-speed hub transmission. I need a lower
ratio for hill climbing. Although I can easily swap the shaft/gear
to a lower ratio for $79, it would also lower the top end... or
should I just get stronger.

So how much of a springboard is the pedal when climbing hills
standing. That looks like a fine torsion bar drive. I have
difficulty visualizing how the little tiny bevel gears of this system
withstand a couple of hundred miles of stiff pedaling, the kind my
bicycle sees when touring.

How far and where have you ridden on this bicycle?

Jobst Brandt
Old December 8th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Tosspot wrote:
bill wrote:
it looks like a commuter to me: thick tyres, block pedals with no
clips, and very high bars.

peers again Hmmmm...Mutton dressed as lamb then. Interesting though
(I'm geeky). Wonder how long that shaft lasts.

You just know that the people at Ronco are looking to merge this with
their Rotisserie oven.

http://static.flickr.com/141/317283412_d1b6a1f156_o.jpg

Old December 8th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Shaft Man? writes:

[...]

Dear Jobst,

How far did Major Taylor's shaft-drive bicycles last when he was racing
and setting world records?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel