King Cage - Bottle Cage Failures

Old February 26th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech;,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

Default King Cage - Bottle Cage Failures

Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. Looks like metal fatigue.

Have any of you seen this before? Other than the durability issue
these seem to be nice cages.

Are there any other stainless steel cages that are more durable?

Thanks,

Steve
Old February 26th 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech;,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. Looks like metal fatigue.

Have any of you seen this before? Other than the durability issue
these seem to be nice cages.

Are there any other stainless steel cages that are more durable?

Nitto:
"http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/waterbottles_and_cages#product=20-030"

Elite:
"http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/293/1996/5780?g=1"
Old February 26th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
LF

On Feb 25, 9:33*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. snip

Did you email (no affiliation) kingcage yet? These are handmade, and
I'll bet you a nickel that the manufacturer will stand behind them.
I've had a pair for about 5 years. Work great.
Have you tried their titanium tire levers? The greatest -- they work
exceptionally well on tight tires.

Best,
Larry
Old February 26th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Feb 25, 7:33*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. Looks like metal fatigue.

Have any of you seen this before? Other than the durability issue
these seem to be nice cages.

Are there any other stainless steel cages that are more durable?

Thanks,

Steve

Dear Steve,

Aluminum, failures at the weld after ~200 km:

http://www.m-gineering.nl/crack.htm

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 26th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
jim beam[_3_]

wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:33�pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (
www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. Looks like metal fatigue.

Have any of you seen this before? Other than the durability issue
these seem to be nice cages.

Are there any other stainless steel cages that are more durable?

Thanks,

Steve

Dear Steve,

Aluminum, failures at the weld after ~200 km:

http://www.m-gineering.nl/crack.htm

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

residual stress was a component. see the way the cage has sprung open?

Old February 26th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Carl Sundquist

wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:33 pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (
www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. Looks like metal fatigue.

Have any of you seen this before? Other than the durability issue
these seem to be nice cages.

Are there any other stainless steel cages that are more durable?

Thanks,

Steve

Dear Steve,

Aluminum, failures at the weld after ~200 km:

http://www.m-gineering.nl/crack.htm

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

That's a completely different situation: cheap Chinese/Taiwanese
product, different material
Old February 26th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
jim beam[_3_]

LF wrote:
On Feb 25, 9:33�pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. snip

Did you email (no affiliation) kingcage yet? These are handmade, and
I'll bet you a nickel that the manufacturer will stand behind them.
I've had a pair for about 5 years. Work great.
Have you tried their titanium tire levers? The greatest -- they work
exceptionally well on tight tires.

Best,
Larry

well, /my/ king cages were never quite straight. if the op's were
manufactured with the same attention to detail, i'm not sure having the
manufacturer replace them with more of the same is going to do much long
term good.

otoh, sometimes a cheaper option can work well:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4342

these [mtb] cages are wider diameter tube and therefore stronger than
typical road designs.

Old February 26th 09, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
jim beam[_3_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:
wrote:
[...]

actually, it's completely analogous. if the tubes are not formed
correctly so there's residual stress within the structure, and the welds
are bad, it's going to break regardless of whether it's stainless steel
/or/ aluminum.
Old February 26th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Feb 25, 8:33 pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

A while back I put 2 King Cage (www.kingcage.com) stainless steel
watter bottle cages on my regular road bike. About a month ago on a
ride the seat tube cage broke at the bottom mounting bracket weld. Now
inspecting the other cage it is about to fail as well in the same
manner. Looks like metal fatigue.

Have any of you seen this before? Other than the durability issue
these seem to be nice cages.

Are there any other stainless steel cages that are more durable?

Sounds like a freak break. Get it warranteed.

That said, a trad cage does put more stress on the bottom weld if the
bottle fit is tight compared to something like this:

http://www.velo-orange.com/voretrocage.html

Which is what I've got on the roadie. The tour bike has el cheap
Planet bike stuff in powder aluminum. $5 and tough.

Old February 26th 09, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:25:28 -0600, Carl Sundquist

[...]

Dear Carl,

Someone has defaced my copy of "The Reverse of the Medal," where the
Royal Navy officers, Jack and Mowett, explain to the surgeon and his
clerical assistant, Stephen and Martin, the difference between
men-of-war and privateers:

"But is not a water-bottle-holder a bottle-cage?" asked Stephen.

Jack and Mowett pursed their lips and looked disapproving. "Why," said
Jack after a moment, "I suppose strictly speaking you could call them
bottle-cages, aluminum bottle-cages; but no one ever does."

"Some say bidons," observed Mowett. "It sounds a little better."

"I know nothing whatsoever about water-bottle-holders," said Martin.

"Why," said Jack, "they are metal frames made out of aluminum in the
Far East. They can be used to hold bottles filled with water by riders
who don't appreciate the advantages of a bottle-cage. They often work
well, but cannot compare with a steel bottle-cage."

"So it is very much like a bottle-cage altogether, except that it is
made out of aluminum?"

"Oh, no," said Jack. "It is quite different."

"It is not at all the same," said Mowett.

"I have often heard water-bottle-holders referred to with strong
reprobation," remarked Stephen. "As, 'Aluminum dog of a
water-bottle-holder, go your ways.' It is certainly a term of
reproach."

"Forgive me if I am obtuse," said Martin, "but if both steel and
aluminum frames can hold water containers, I cannot see the
distinction."

"Oh, it is not at all the same," said Jack.

"No, no," said Mowett. "It is quite different."

"You are to consider, my dear sir," said Stephen, "that the
water-bottle-holder is merely concerned with carrying water. Whereas
the bottle-cage is chiefly concerned with weight and wind drag and
their bottles are often flung aside near the finish line."

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Bottle Cage Clamps Bill the Cat Australia 11 April 9th 08 12:27 AM
Vintage campagnolo water bottle with the bottle cage- $10.00 [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 1st 08 01:17 AM
FA: Campy Record carbon bottle cage w/bottle, new jodi Marketplace 0 October 17th 05 12:03 AM
Giant OCR bottle cage Jon_H UK 2 July 18th 05 02:56 PM
Bottle cage bolt Idris UK 11 December 5th 04 09:50 PM