Shaft Drive Bike

Old August 19th 16, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Shaft Drive Bike

I didn't realize it until today that the Portland bikeshare bikes have shaft drive. http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/17/...etown-project/

https://www.biketownpdx.com/how-it-works/meet-the-bike
I was checking one out at the burrito stand. It is a serious boat anchor. http://www.portlandmercury.com/bike-...-your-new-bike Highly engineered with few recognizable parts -- meaning that the repair part concession will be lucrative.

I was pleased to see that the are getting some use by the touristas.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 19th 16, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 4:20:31 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
I didn't realize it until today that the Portland bikeshare bikes have shaft drive. http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/17/...etown-project/

https://www.biketownpdx.com/how-it-works/meet-the-bike
I was checking one out at the burrito stand. It is a serious boat anchor. http://www.portlandmercury.com/bike-...-your-new-bike Highly engineered with few recognizable parts -- meaning that the repair part concession will be lucrative.

I was pleased to see that the are getting some use by the touristas.

-- Jay Beattie.

Mmm. Eight speed gearboxes are yesterday's news. Bikes in the Cork City community bike scheme are fitted with the NuVinci stepless gearboxes. http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/p...-and-limerick/ They don't have shaft drive though, just chain cases. Not that i think shaft drive is a solution: I think it is likely to be the achilles heel of the entire operation, the most common and frequent service requirement.

Amazing -- and amusing -- that the World Capital of Jaywalking in little old West Cork got a bicycle share scheme before the City of Flakes in Oregon.

But 59 pounds? Christ, that's surely a bike designed by a committee of horse's asses trying for a camel.

Andre Jute
Automobile-free since 1992
Old August 19th 16, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

WHATHOE !

https://www.google.com/#q=BICYCLE+TOURING+CORK+IRELAND

//////

BOTH READ LIKE THE AD HOCCO TEST PROGRAM ...

whatever survives...whatever comes in cheap ....

psstwanna buy a loada davinci's ?

Old August 19th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

But 59 pounds? Christ, that's surely a bike designed
by a committee of horse's asses trying for a camel.

http://socialbicycles.com/#bike
At 59 lbs, that's about 25 lbs extra over a commodity aluminum bicycle
(35 lbs). I'll guess(tm) that the basket, rear rack, fenders,
computah, kickstand, dynamo hub, u-lock, and drive shaft might add 15
lbs, but that still leaves about 10 lbs unaccounted for. Or, maybe
the accessories are extra heavy duty. Or, maybe my math sucks.

Anyway, think positive. It's an exercise machine on wheels.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 20th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

But 59 pounds? Christ, that's surely a bike designed
by a committee of horse's asses trying for a camel.

http://socialbicycles.com/#bike
At 59 lbs, that's about 25 lbs extra over a commodity aluminum bicycle
(35 lbs). I'll guess(tm) that the basket, rear rack, fenders,
computah, kickstand, dynamo hub, u-lock, and drive shaft might add 15
lbs, but that still leaves about 10 lbs unaccounted for. Or, maybe
the accessories are extra heavy duty. Or, maybe my math sucks.

Anyway, think positive. It's an exercise machine on wheels.

Even then it is still incompetent as a bike, but probably not too much heavier than the other share-bikes. My fave exercise machine when cycling is contraindicated by higher authority, a Hugh Yuge treadmill made by York, has a motor built in to elevate the track in umpteen steps. I don't have to wait for the rain to stop to run up Mt Ventoux.

I really must make an effort to ride one of the Cork community bikes and see what it is like on the road. My suspicion is that it will weigh about 50 pounds because of the basket being welded steel, the hefty NuVinci hub and dynohub, the onboard lock, and possibly the rack being steel too. Fenders and rear wheel coat protectors are thermoformed plastic and don't weigh all that much.

Not to forget, decent quality puncture-resistant tyres, especially in the 37/8mm width that I consider a minimum for potholed city streets, weigh a fair amount. My 60x622 Big Apples are 890gr each (that's 18gr short of 2 pounds!) before the tube is added, and my old 37x622 Marathon Plus and Bontrager Elite Hardcase hardly felt lighter -- and besides rode like they were in the pay of the Society of Proctologists.

Prediction: Share bikes with NuVinci hub gearboxes will soon have the automatic gear change plug-in fitted.

Andre Jute
You heard it here first
Old August 20th 16, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

But 59 pounds? Christ, that's surely a bike designed
by a committee of horse's asses trying for a camel.

http://socialbicycles.com/#bike
At 59 lbs, that's about 25 lbs extra over a commodity aluminum bicycle
(35 lbs). I'll guess(tm) that the basket, rear rack, fenders,
computah, kickstand, dynamo hub, u-lock, and drive shaft might add 15
lbs, but that still leaves about 10 lbs unaccounted for. Or, maybe
the accessories are extra heavy duty. Or, maybe my math sucks.

Anyway, think positive. It's an exercise machine on wheels.

59 lbs. certainly seems high though. I just came back from a big
wedding up-country and my BIL has a bicycle set up in front of his
factory (I don't know why). A proper bike. Steel frame of course,
double top tube. A good strong rear carrier - 1" steel angle. A
locking rear stand and hand brakes, of course. Pads in the front and a
drum in the rear.

I didn't weigh it but I did move it around and I think I'd have
noticed if it weighed anything like 59 lbs.

On the other hand, shaft drive and 59 lbs, and even painted red they
might be effectively "theft proof", i,e. nobody would steal one.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 20th 16, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Is 2X my Raleigh with ply rack.

Aru sure urine pounds ?
Old August 20th 16, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I was of the opinion that shaft drives had been pretty much surplanted
by belt drives in as much as clean and maintenance free. A bit lighter
as well.

Old August 20th 16, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/20/2016 3:10 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 20/08/16 01:45, John B. wrote:

I didn't weigh it but I did move it around and I think I'd have
noticed if it weighed anything like 59 lbs.

On the other hand, shaft drive and 59 lbs, and even painted red they
might be effectively "theft proof", i,e. nobody would steal one.

I was of the opinion that shaft drives had been pretty much surplanted
by belt drives in as much as clean and maintenance free. A bit lighter
as well.

I wondered about that design decision as well. It seems odd.

Perhaps they figure the shaft drive is more vandal resistant? I know
vandalism is sometimes a problem with bike share schemes.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Internally Geared Shimano Hub + Shaft Drive = Carefree Chicago Winter Bike Commute? Jay[_2_] Techniques 46 February 23rd 08 06:18 AM
My Shaft Drive Bike ShaftMan Techniques 159 June 30th 07 06:54 PM
Drive shaft Dieter Britz Techniques 213 June 24th 07 07:17 PM
Shaft drive mountain bike malandro95 General 9 May 17th 05 06:53 AM
shaft drive ? maf UK 22 September 17th 03 01:38 PM