Stem recall

Old May 18th 17, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Stem recall

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z...o1M3Q4Y3M/view

Produced 2007~2013. The interesting line is "may corrode and
fail". Not the usual, "may crack and fail". CPSC reports
exactly one incident with injury.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 18th 17, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z...o1M3Q4Y3M/view

Produced 2007~2013. The interesting line is "may corrode and
fail". Not the usual, "may crack and fail". CPSC reports
exactly one incident with injury.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Profile is one of the best stems I've used. Corrode and fail?
Old May 18th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/18/2017 5:06 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z...o1M3Q4Y3M/view

Produced 2007~2013. The interesting line is "may corrode and
fail". Not the usual, "may crack and fail". CPSC reports
exactly one incident with injury.

Profile is one of the best stems I've used. Corrode and fail?

In that this particular model is carbon-wrapped aluminum, I
suppose that's a galvanic corrosion effect.

Old May 19th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:49:16 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/18/2017 5:06 PM, cyclintom@xxx wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z...o1M3Q4Y3M/view

Produced 2007~2013. The interesting line is "may corrode and
fail". Not the usual, "may crack and fail". CPSC reports
exactly one incident with injury.

Profile is one of the best stems I've used. Corrode and fail?

In that this particular model is carbon-wrapped aluminum, I
suppose that's a galvanic corrosion effect.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Maybe. But galvanic between what and what? Surely carbon is inert. I think it more likely that there was inadequate adhesion, air got in, a further layer of aluminum's self-defense layer was formed, furthering delimitation, and presto, a failure. One. One failure doesn't get my heart rate up much.

Andre Jute
Uncertainty proliferates
Old May 19th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/18/2017 6:34 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Right, a single incident for an oem product spanning several
years and several bicycle models would seem small, even
niggling to those of us not among the plaintiff's bar.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/2/155...orced-polymers

Old May 19th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 1:08:52 AM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Andrew. "The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble." Of course. Everything follows.

I was assuming intelligent specification and high-quality execution. (And, with only one failure, quality design and manufacture may indeed have been present.)

I don't have a lot of carbon fiber experience, but my understanding, from glass fiber (which I avoided when I could back in the day, for instance preferring instead to design my 68ft City of Germiston in molded wood, a proven-superb decision) practice is that the only good mixed matrix is made by totally enclosing the glass in the resin, leaving zero touchy-feely interface surfaces, for instance by anodizing ali to be locked into fiberglass as local reinforcing.

AJ
Electricity is weird, and less well understood than we pretend
Old May 19th 17, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 18 May 2017 17:49:03 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/18/2017 5:06 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z...o1M3Q4Y3M/view

Produced 2007~2013. The interesting line is "may corrode and
fail". Not the usual, "may crack and fail". CPSC reports
exactly one incident with injury.

Profile is one of the best stems I've used. Corrode and fail?

In that this particular model is carbon-wrapped aluminum, I
suppose that's a galvanic corrosion effect.

I've read a number of articles about "fiberglass" and aluminum which
advised against fiberglass/aluminum joins. The articles stated that
corrosion could creep between the aluminum and the epoxy bond. I
suspect that in the case of CF composites what was reported to as
simply "corrosion" was actually a galvanic corrosion.

It might be noted that this phenomena has been reported since the
1960's.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 19th 17, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 4:35:02 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Carbon is a conductor. And it isn't inert. Remember when resistors used to be made from carbon?
Old May 19th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 3:06:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z...o1M3Q4Y3M/view

Produced 2007~2013. The interesting line is "may corrode and
fail". Not the usual, "may crack and fail". CPSC reports
exactly one incident with injury.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Profile is one of the best stems I've used. Corrode and fail?

One stem is better than another, failures aside?

I don't recall Fred Flintstein Racing 0 June 6th 10 03:04 AM
KEO Recall Tim Arnold Techniques 0 August 8th 08 01:29 PM
Recall Notice - S-Works Carbon Stem [email protected] Techniques 12 August 9th 06 10:31 PM
fyi - Syntace F99 MTB stem recall Ken Mountain Biking 0 January 20th 06 01:29 AM
fyi - Syntace F99 MTB stem recall Ken Techniques 0 January 20th 06 01:29 AM