Non-athlete as a kid, cyclist as adult?

Old August 20th 04, 12:21 AM
Claire Petersky

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

That was me too, until college. P.E. classes were pass/fail, and all
you had to do was show up. And you could pick your activity. I took
swimming, karate, dancing, and more.

Another factor is that by the time you hit college, age is not really a
factor any more. I was skipped a grade, and so was a year younger than
everyone else. This meant, although I was probably average in athletic
skills for my age, I was behind most of the rest of the class. By the time I
was in college, it didn't matter so much if I were 19 and the other people
in the class were 20 or 21.

I have found that often people who perceive themselves as not very athletic
as kids were often younger compared to the rest of the class -- summer
birthdays when fall was the cut-off, or fall birthdays when the cut-off was
December 1.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old August 20th 04, 10:10 AM
occupant

Rick Onanian wrote:

This reminds me of elementary school gym hockey. Like any sports in
gym, I was never picked by a team; I was one of the stragglers that
the gym teacher forced a team to accept. Of course, in floor hockey
or soccer, I'd be forced to play defense. However, I was a dangerous
boy when given a stick! No puck came near me that didn't result in
somebody having a hurt ankle -- entirely accidental every time.

As child I was sick a lot and not being the brightest tool in the shed
had to
repeat a couple of grades, was six foot "forever" and suffered
nosebleeds if you
even looked at me because of the dry weather. While I could dance
better than most,
I couldn't even focus on the sport being played because I was always
last picked and then the team
was chosen as skins (shirtless).

I have been remined by many people as an adult that as a kid I could
ride a bike with no hands
from an early age when most other kids couldn't or handn't learned yet.

I love watching basketball and wished I had learned and played that as a
sport.

Freddy goes Bob Schwartz Racing 10 July 9th 04 11:25 PM
Cyclist scraps around the world plans Mike Kruger General 5 June 21st 04 09:23 PM
Cyclist vs Motorist: Court find Both At Fault K.A. Moylan Australia 14 June 19th 04 12:15 PM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM