Three speed wheel size and spacing

Old August 2nd 04, 05:47 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Three speed wheel size and spacing

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:58:34 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:06:18 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

the Dyno hubs are expensive so even if the bike was a
disaster you could come out ahead.

Yeah, those hubs are cooler'n snot! LOL.

Shimno does make a similar hub these days for those interested.

Funny that I have to restore a 45+ year old ride to get something
practical and elegant for my mom--I don't mind at all, wrenching is fun
for me, but it's interesting that for the average rider, the industry "got
it" forty years ago so much more than today.

Forty years ago, bicycles were vehicles, not toys.

Thank the 1950s and its cruisers for correcting that erroneous notion.

-Luigi

Old August 9th 04, 11:51 PM
Snortley

Speaking of Europe, over there the old 3-speeds are still
widely in use. Strange folks, they think a bike is transportation and
exercise rather than an article of conspicuous consumption.

Given their odd tastes, they still have quality 590 tires, and
one of the brands is available here online: the Schwalbe Marathon -
Kevlar belted with a reflective stripe on the sidewall and a tread that
lasts almost forever. There's also a slightly heavier duty model with
no stripe and nubby tread if your mom fancies occasional snow or dirt
biking.

Check it out at:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/

Good luck with the Raleigh. Remember not to put the front wheel
on backwards - all the adjustable cones go on the left side. Oh, and
the trick to the fixed cone on the front is to hold the axle in a vise
and torque it in place against the lip with a pair of vise-grips (just
don't strip it). And if you do the bottom bracket, Sheldon Brown has
great bearings, and sleeves to keep the dirt out.

--

You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going,
because you might not get there.

- Yogi Berra
Old August 10th 04, 06:04 AM
papercut

Luigi de Guzman wrote in message

Forty years ago, bicycles were vehicles, not toys.

Thank the 1950s and its cruisers for correcting that erroneous notion.

-Luigi

Actually, "cruisers" were around well before the 1950s. It was the
automobile and urban sprawl that turned bicycles into mostly toys. Not
the cruiser.

Reality is, the cruiser is effectively the American equivalent of the
European commuting bike. Usually single speed coaster brake equipped,
but also commonly found with three speed hubs or derailer systems.
Stylistically, they are quite different. But in practical terms, they
share many of the same qualities, such as upright riding position, low
maintenance and durability.

And remarkably, cruisers are probably used and desired more as
"working/commuting vehicles" around here than road bikes and even
mountain bikes. The latter of which seem to have evolved more into
objects of conspicuous consumption.
Old August 11th 04, 04:38 AM
Menotomy

Hmmm. Read this from an American:

http://www.townonline.com/acton/arts...e/act_featbcon
versation03112004.htm

Old August 11th 04, 05:45 AM
maxo

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:51:10 +0000, Snortley wrote:

There's also a slightly heavier duty model with no stripe
and nubby tread if your mom fancies occasional snow or dirt biking.

Check it out at:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/

Good luck with the Raleigh. Remember not to put the front wheel
on backwards - all the adjustable cones go on the left side.

I've been to the Schwalbe website as a matter of fact and may be getting a
set of the marathons--they seem to be the best option.

I'm familiar with the Raleigh hubs, since I own a 28" rod braker myself,
just needed to brush up on the sports models.

I'm wondering out loud: on the older bikes, both the hubs and BB are
oiled, but could one perhaps convert the front hub and BB to grease?
Doesn't seem that outrageous, but I could be way off.

BTW, we're still looking for a bike, got outbid on the original. The
Kronan distributor out of Canada got in touch with us and we might get one
of those. The quoted cost was around $500USD with taxes and shipping from
Toronto to Tennessee. Probably not the same quality as even an abused
Raleigh, but quite fetching and original in its own way.

In this endeavour--style is almost everything. LOL

Old August 12th 04, 05:47 AM
Snortley

I'm wondering out loud: on the older bikes, both the hubs and BB are
oiled, but could one perhaps convert the front hub and BB to grease?
Doesn't seem that outrageous, but I could be way off.

I've always used a full packing of grease in both. Lately the lube of
choice has been molybdenum-graphite grease for added protection,
available in most auto repair supply stores.

The
Kronan distributor out of Canada got in touch with us and we might get one
of those.

This is beginning to remind me of what I went through with my older
sister. She wanted that sort of style and I pointed out that a
heavyweight would probably discourage her from cycling. She ended up
going with a Trek retro-styled model, I think it was their "Town and
Country" cruiser: alloy frame and Shimano 3-speed internal hub.

Old August 12th 04, 08:28 AM
maxo

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:47:08 +0000, Snortley wrote:

The
Kronan distributor out of Canada got in touch with us and we might get
one of those.

This is beginning to remind me of what I went through with my older
sister. She wanted that sort of style and I pointed out that a heavyweight
would probably discourage her from cycling. She ended up going with a Trek
retro-styled model, I think it was their "Town and Country" cruiser: alloy
frame and Shimano 3-speed internal hub.

LOL

The difference is that my mom grew up riding those heavyweights and if a
hill is too steep, she just gets off and pushes the bike up it. I've
ridden with her back home in Sweden and she's a monster! She expects
bikes to be heavy and solid-state, and has no experience with the modern
stoff, and consequently has no high expectations from the bike. Gotta love
that.

FWIW what's wrong with that? She ain't in no hurry. LOL

Old school mamas rock!!!!

He he

Old August 16th 04, 05:25 AM
maxo

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:28:11 +0000, maxo wrote:

[...]

Well, I got a nifty ride from Ebay and am waiting for delivery. Ordered
new tires, tubes, brake pads, cables, and other sundry bits as well.

It's a 60s Japanese Skyway. Built for the American market I'm assuming
since the rear light is on the left. Perhaps not Raleigh quality, but my
wrenching should mitigate that.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxotterl...ges/skyway.jpg

I love the chainguard and dual racks! meeeowww!

Old August 20th 04, 08:59 PM
maxo

I found a good deal on three-speed parts at bikepartsusa.com

Black 26x1 3/8 tires for seven bucks each. They were listed as being
Kenda, but turned out to be very nice period looking IRCs with the logos
gently sanded off of the blackwall. LOL.

They also had the old fashioned brake pads--the ones in the metal holder
with four rubber "bumps" for a dollar a pair. I tried out a set on my road
bike for giggles and they stop great! probably won't last very long though.

They've also got Sturmey Archer compatible cables for 2.50!! Now that's a
find.

I found rubber block pedals and old fashioned frame pumps for pegs on the
site--worth checking out if you're fixin' up some thriftstore bikes.

The bike is still in transit, I can't wait to have at it.