Creaking Freehub

Old September 23rd 04, 03:52 PM
Ryan

Default Creaking Freehub

My bike has an annoying creak that I have narrowed down to be coming
from somewhere in the rear hub. The bike has a Campagnolo Veloce hub.
I just recently replaced the cassette, also Veloce. A few days
after the new cassette was installed I rode a century, at the end of
the ride the creaking started. The creaking occurs most in the 3rd to
4th largest sprockets. Smaller sprockets creak slightly, the biggest
sprockets make no noticable noise at all.

My local shop let me try one of their wheels on the bike, and sure
enough the creaking stopped. So I am trying to find out what might be
the cause. The shop suggested a new freehub body, but that appears to
be easier said then done with the Veloce hub. Alternatively they
suggested a new hub, but with the labor and parts I might as well get
a new wheel. I am wondering if there might be something simple I am
missing that might fix the problem without replacing the hub?

The hub has about 7000 miles on it.

Thanks for any feedback you all might have!

Ryan
Old September 24th 04, 02:09 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rmhcyclist- The bike has a Campagnolo Veloce hub.
I just recently replaced the cassette, also Veloce. A few days
after the new cassette was installed I rode a century, BRBR

Grease onto the outside of the freehub body, lockring TIGHT...You don't need a
new freehub body unless the bearings are toasted in the one you have. Try
grasso-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.