Basic headlight recommendation needed

Old September 23rd 04, 06:58 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article WFl4d.4867$He1.3790@attbi_s01, zen says...

I need to buy a basic, low-cost headlight for my road bike for occasional
use when I'm out longer than expected and have to ride home in dark and
near-dark conditions. So, it doesn't have to be super rugged or last for 10
hours, just be reasonably well-made, put out a decent beam that will be seen
by other cyclists, pedestrians and cars, and last several hours. I'd also
like to spend no more than $50, and preferably closer to half that.

I've been considering the following, available for the indicated prices
online:

CatEye HL-EL120 ($15)
CatEye HL-EL200 ($20)
Planet Bike Dual Spot ($20)
Planet Bike Super Spot 1 ($25)
CatEye Compact Opticube ($27)
CatEye HL-EL300 ($30)
CatEye HL-EL500 ($50)

Any recommendations? Will any of these put out a strong enough beam to
illuminate an unlit road or bike path?

Also, how important is it to have both flashing and steady modes? Is one
mode preferable to another, and if so under what conditions?

If you really only need it so that you are seen by others and not so that
you can see the road, get one of the new white LED headlights. They last
a really long time on a set of batteries and can be see from quite a distance.
Alex

Old September 24th 04, 02:14 PM
Paul Nevai

"Kovie" aszonygya:
:Planet Bike Super Spot 1 ($25)

Is this the 1 watt version LED? Then that's what I have and it's perfect for
the occasional user. I paid $29 at PerformanceBike. I also have a Nightrider

but never use it since I only need "some light" when it gets dark while going
home from work. Best regards, Paul