It works! It works! Uni-publicity works!

Old August 10th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GILD

Default It works! It works! Uni-publicity works!

Not that I ever had any doubts really, it's just nice to see it all fall
together once in a while.

Reme'mber thi' (http://tinyurl.com/fmrys)s?
An'd thi' (http://tinyurl.com/2a7cg)s?
First linke'd to her' (http://tinyurl.com/hf5qu)e.
Fro'm this thr' (http://tinyurl.com/ohjs5)ead?

Ok, Aubrey phones me on Tuesday morning to say that the UniHoki insert
in the SuperCycling show will be shown on Tuesday evening.
Great. (It's been recorded and I'll post it as soon as I get hold of
it.)
He did tell me that there would be a couple of rebroadcasts of the show
so it should flight a total of about 4 times. The first time early on
Wednesday morning.
I get an SMS from a friend of mine who's on holiday in Umhlanga Rocks.
They're being kept indoors by some serious rain. Her friend is watching
telly and calls her over. "Hey, come watch these crazy guys playing
unicycle hockey." Before Sarah can even say "I've got a friend who
plays...", my mug is plastered all over her TV. "What were the
chances?" she wants to know from me.
About even.

At the same time, in a hotel room in Rosebank, the French-Canadian
plant manager for one of the underground stations of the G'autrai'
(http://corporate.gautrain.co.za/)n wakes up having only been in the
country for a couple of days.
He's spent the past couple of years building a dam in Hong Kong and
being a member of the Hong Kong Unicycle Hockey Team.
He flips on the telly to see a cycling program and hear the presenter
throw forward to a UniHoki insert.
What were the chances?
I now need to know.
He checks out the insert. I wore a cap with the website
*www.unicycle.co.za* printed on the front but he didn't notice it.
He tries the addy anyway (serious attack of common sense there...) and
finds Alan's place-holder page, (the site should be up and running by
next week). Turning his hand to Google (we're going to get along like a
house-on-fire, I can tell), he searches for Unicycle Hockey in South
Africa and finds the press release I sent out via a free press release
website when we were about to play our very first game in South Africa,
a little over two years ago now.
My phone number is still at the bottom of the release so he phones me
to find out if we're still playing.
Are the Kennedys gun shy?
We also had the inaugural JoyBurg UniMeet yesterday.
Just a bunch of us hanging out at the park but we thought we'd give it
a fance name. Smoke and mirrors, you know me. We're planning a slightly
more involved set-up, probably spanning a weekend in the foreseeable
future. I'll keep you posted.

But this thread is mainly here to illustrate the value of every bit of
uni-exposure you can generate. You never know when it's going to pay
off.

And for right now, there's one more of us.

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
(http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)

Old August 10th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
one wheely

Wow, I bet he's glad he turned on the telly and saw you.
Has he ever ridden before?

--
one wheely

Why stroll...when you can roll?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
one wheely's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11955

Old August 10th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GILD

one wheely wrote:
Wow, I bet he's glad he turned on the telly and saw you.
Has he ever ridden before?

Yeah, he learnt about three years ago and has been a regular player in
the Hong Kong Unicycle Hockey team, even playing in international
matches against teams from Singapore.

Old August 10th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GILD

I just got a phonecall from the producer of a show called SuperSaturday.
It's a magazine-style sport show broadcast live on Saturday mornings.
It's quite irreverent and very funny.
They're keen on getting some unicycling on the show after seeing the
hockey insert on their sister channel.
This is going to be fun.

Old August 11th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GILD

Kewl.
It's been confirmed.
We're going to be on that show tomoro morning.
It's an hour and a half long show and the producer said they'll
probably do three crossings to us where we'll be playing a game out in
the courtyard of the building.
We'll also get Shaun to do some trials-demo stuff.

Should be a blast.