Mandrel-bending handle bars

Old January 30th 04, 03:13 PM
M Powell

Default Mandrel-bending handle bars

I'm looking for an elegant solution to what is probably an odd problem with
my bicycle. I'm in Houston, and the bike is a hybrid.

Here's the deal -- I was born without a left hand. I have my wrist, but the
umbilical cord had wrapped around, just outside my wrist, so that part got
cut off from blood flow... Anyway, lately I'm doing the old guy thing &
riding for exercise. Now that I'm putting more miles on, the difference in
my reach --about 1.5 to 2 inches-- is being felt in my back. I need to make
up this difference, so that my shoulders are squared back up. But I don't
want a clunky solution of using tape or a riser block....

So far, I've just mis-aligned (cocked) the bars to favor the left side.
That's certainly simple & elegant, but is looks & feels wrong -- two guys
have even offered to show me how to properly align the handle bars to the
front wheel. Sigh.

So, where might I go in Houston to get someone to work with me on
mandrel-bending the handlebar, which I figure would be easier & neater than
cutting & TIG'ing it. I'm assuming the bars is aluminum -- the bike is a
Motobecane hybrid, purchased about a lear ago.

Many Thanks,
--M Powell

(I'm cross posting this to Rec.crafts.metalworking)

Old January 31st 04, 12:05 AM
Tom Kunich

This ain't anywhere as easy as you seem to think it is. Welding very light
aluminum tubing is completely out of the question. As for mandrel bending -
you probably can't use a present bar because it's been relieved.

You can probably get some really light steel tubing and have it bent to your
specifications without too much trouble and with some paint it would look
good.

There must be a frame builder in Houston that could help you with the
problem.

Good luck.
tom

ink.net...

Old January 31st 04, 04:52 AM
Dan Daniel

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:13:01 GMT, "M Powell"
wrote:

So, where might I go in Houston to get someone to work with me on
mandrel-bending the handlebar, which I figure would be easier & neater than
cutting & TIG'ing it. I'm assuming the bars is aluminum -- the bike is a
Motobecane hybrid, purchased about a lear ago.

Many Thanks,
--M Powell

(I'm cross posting this to Rec.crafts.metalworking)

I know nothing about Houston, but some places come to mind to start
asking your question-

motorcycle shops.
architectural metal workers- railings, bannisters, etc.
medical supply houses
local bicycle frame builders
a prosthesis maker or university hospital

Remember- the issue isn't just putting a bend in tubing. I can do that
with a conduit bender from the hardware store or fabricate my own
mandrels. Handlebars breaking can be very ugly. You need to deal with
tubing benders who are experienced with what metals can be bent
safely, put under loads like you will be applying, etc.

In the meantime, ignore the 'helpful' people who want to straighten
your handlebars.
Old January 31st 04, 04:01 PM
Don DeMair

Just a quick thought... is it possible to use a bar-end? You know, the kind
they use on mountain bikes. I'm thinking that maybe it could slide on the
bar backwards inboard of the shifters and then rotate towards you. If you
can get the position right, you can even mount the brakes and shifter on the
bar end itself. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Here's
just one example:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...027&Store=Bike

One question comes to mind. Can you use the brake lever on the left side?
That's normally for the front brake (at least in the USA). If not, and as
long as you can brace yourself with both arms, you may consider swapping
brake levers since it's probably better to have front-brake only rather than
rear-brake only. Of course, that depends on your skill level, riding
conditions... etc.

It's not the typical use of a bar end, but hey, if it let's you ride on.

-Don

ink.net...

Old March 17th 04, 04:16 PM
roadntrail

M Powell wrote:
I'm looking for an elegant solution to what is probably an odd problem
with my bicycle. I'm in Houston, and the bike is a hybrid.
Here's the deal -- I was born without a left hand. I have my
wrist, snip

Interestingly enough, I have nearly the same issue -- I was born withou
a right hand, and also have a wrist. I've been biking for 40+ years, an
now I'm looking to modify my equipment instead of changing my posture
to eliminate back and shoulder pain. I've considered the bar-end ide
for my MTB -- just a matter of finding the right size and shape. For m
road bike, I was thinking of a custom-made handlebar, because I'd lik
to keep my Ergopower setup, but that's probably $$$$

If I find a solution, I'll post it, with pictures

-

Old March 17th 04, 04:33 PM
Garrison Hilliard

roadntrail wrote:
M Powell wrote:
I'm looking for an elegant solution to what is probably an odd problem
with my bicycle. I'm in Houston, and the bike is a hybrid.
Here's the deal -- I was born without a left hand. I have my
wrist, snip

Interestingly enough, I have nearly the same issue -- I was born without
a right hand, and also have a wrist. I've been biking for 40+ years, and
now I'm looking to modify my equipment instead of changing my posture,
to eliminate back and shoulder pain.

Have you considered an internally-geared bicycle with a coaster-brake and positioning the front brake lever and shifter (I'd recommend a twist-shift) on your handed side?
Old March 17th 04, 05:46 PM
roadntrail

Garrison Hillia wrote:
roadntrail wrote:
M Powell wrote:
I'm looking for an elegant solution to what is probably an odd
problem with my bicycle. I'm in Houston, and the bike is a hybrid.
Here's the deal -- I was born without a left hand. I have my wrist,
snip

Interestingly enough, I have nearly the same issue -- I was born
without a right hand, and also have a wrist. I've been biking for 40+
years, and now I'm looking to modify my equipment instead of changing
my posture, to eliminate back and shoulder pain.

Have you considered an internally-geared bicycle with a coaster- brake
and positioning the front brake lever and shifter (I'd recommend a twist-
shift) on your handed side?

Good suggestion, but shifting and braking has never been a problem. Th
problem I'm trying to solve is more of a fit problem. If I set the bik
up to properly fit my left arm, my right arm doesn't reach the handleba
unless I 1) twist my shoulders or 2) bend my left elbow. It wasn't
problem when I was younger, but I'd like to start riding "square"

-