Gonna regret this

Old February 14th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Gonna regret this

I should probably ask over at RB Soc or a RB total loser geek, but
I'm looking at getting a recumbent exercise bike. It's a last resort
combined with swimming where I'm in danger of being harpooned.
Got another surgery coming up for a couple of meniscus tears and a
partially torn ACL. The other knee is junk too. My low back where it
ties to the pelvis is still screwed so the upright position on my mag
trainer, and stretched out Kettler Racer position don't work right
now. Crying after A 20 minute spin just isn't manly, ya know.
Anyone know anything about those things? Lyn, you got any ideas since
your actually working as a trainer?
Just the idea gives me the creeps but I've got to ditch close to
100lbs and want to do it in the next year.
Bill C

Old February 14th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 14 Feb 2007 03:51:02 -0800, "Bill C"
wrote:

I should probably ask over at RB Soc or a RB total loser geek, but
I'm looking at getting a recumbent exercise bike. It's a last resort
combined with swimming where I'm in danger of being harpooned.

eBay? Maybe also I'd be looking for some bikes a gym is getting rid of
to make space for the latest trend.
--
JT
****************************
Old February 14th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung

Bill C wrote:
I should probably ask over at RB Soc or a RB total loser geek, but
I'm looking at getting a recumbent exercise bike. It's a last resort
[...] Just the idea gives me the creeps

Do what you need to do. If people don't understand that, you don't want to
know them anyway.

Old February 14th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:54:09 +0100, Robert Chung wrote:
Do what you need to do. If people don't understand that,
you don't want to know them anyway.

You only want to know people who understand what you do? Presumably
that's why you teach then; so you can make friends, literally.

--
E. Dronkert
Old February 14th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 14, 8:54 am, "Robert Chung" wrote:
Bill C wrote:
I should probably ask over at RB Soc or a RB total loser geek, but
I'm looking at getting a recumbent exercise bike. It's a last resort
[...] Just the idea gives me the creeps

Do what you need to do. If people don't understand that, you don't want to
know them anyway.

It's a bitch for us old roadies when the old M-O ("I'll just go ride")
isn't an option. Especially (speaking for meself) the old furnace-
stoking eating habits remain.

I go to the Y sometimes. Barca-bikes, TV's, young women. Um, sweaty
young women, panting. What's not to like?

So, go get 'bent already!

Good luck, Bill. --D-y

Old February 14th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 14, 6:51 am, "Bill C" wrote:
I should probably ask over at RB Soc or a RB total loser geek, but
I'm looking at getting a recumbent exercise bike.

dumbass,

good call. recumbents have lots of advantages over ass-hatchets - like
being able to wank it while riding.

Old February 14th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:54:09 +0100, Robert Chung wrote:
Do what you need to do. If people don't understand that,
you don't want to know them anyway.

You only want to know people who understand what you do?

If that were the rule, I'm not sure I'd know anyone. But what I was saying
was that when you do something you *need to do* then I expect that my
friends will understand that there was no other choice.

Old February 14th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On 14 Feb 2007 03:51:02 -0800, "Bill C" wrote:

I should probably ask over at RB Soc or a RB total loser geek, but
I'm looking at getting a recumbent exercise bike. It's a last resort
combined with swimming where I'm in danger of being harpooned.
Got another surgery coming up for a couple of meniscus tears and a
partially torn ACL. The other knee is junk too. My low back where it
ties to the pelvis is still screwed so the upright position on my mag
trainer, and stretched out Kettler Racer position don't work right
now. Crying after A 20 minute spin just isn't manly, ya know.
Anyone know anything about those things? Lyn, you got any ideas since
your actually working as a trainer?
Just the idea gives me the creeps but I've got to ditch close to
100lbs and want to do it in the next year.
Bill C

For any sort of large exercise equipment look into Goodwill, Salvation Army and
other like thrift stores or Play it Again Sports. The for-profit store is
usually cheaper and all are full of treads and stationaries of all types (mostly
unused condition) for a fraction of new prices.

Here's hoping you beat this spiral.

Best
Ron
Old February 14th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Bill C wrote:
I should probably ask over at RB Soc or a RB total loser geek, but
I'm looking at getting a recumbent exercise bike.

'Bents per se are not evil. It's the attitude that sometimes
comes with them that gets people into trouble around here.

When you start thinking that everyone would be riding 'bents
if only they were as smart as you, and not brainwashed by the
major bicycle manufacturers... that's when you need to watch
out.

I know a guy with a fully faired Lightning. Under the right
conditions he can haul ass just like the lead out trains
that guys like Cipo had, except he's just one guy. It's really
cool, no two ways about it. If I was going to blow a couple
of grand on a bike I'd get one of those over any LANCE-approved
wonder bike.

Bob Schwartz

Bob Schwartz
Old February 14th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Feb 14, 3:51 am, "Bill C" wrote:

Just the idea gives me the creeps but I've got to ditch close to
100lbs and want to do it in the next year.

Dumbass -

Don't forget the dieting part. One doesn't work without the other.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.