Is this True?

Old December 20th 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sue White

Default Is this True?

A booklet issued by the RSPB says "By law, cyclists must give way to
pedestrians and horse riders on bridleways".

Is that true?

--
Sue ]

Why aren't we demanding regular retests for motor drivers?
Old December 20th 07, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 20/12/2007 20:24, Sue White wrote:
A booklet issued by the RSPB says "By law, cyclists must give way to
pedestrians and horse riders on bridleways".

Is that true?

No.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old December 20th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Wilton

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
On 20/12/2007 20:24, Sue White wrote:
A booklet issued by the RSPB says "By law, cyclists must give way to
pedestrians and horse riders on bridleways".

Is that true?

No.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

I thought that the answer was yes - in England and Wales.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/...ionsandpro1686
states:

Bridleways provide a right of way on horseback, foot and bicycle. The
Countryside Act 1968 gave cyclists the right to use bridleways but they must
give way to other users. The right for cyclists to use a bridleway can be
subject to an order or bye-law prohibiting cycling on particular parts of
it.

Old December 20th 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Sue White wrote:

A booklet issued by the RSPB says "By law, cyclists must give way to
pedestrians and horse riders on bridleways".

Is that true?

Yes. Countryside Act 1968 S.30.

--
Matt B
Old December 20th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 20/12/2007 20:24, Sue White wrote:
A booklet issued by the RSPB says "By law, cyclists must give way to
pedestrians and horse riders on bridleways".

Is that true?

Looks like yes:
http://tinyurl.com/3ajuye
leads to:
http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&title=Country side+Act&Year=1968&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly =0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&T YPE=QS&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocI d=1198758&ActiveTextDocId=1198795&filesize=5870

Old December 20th 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 20/12/2007 20:24, Sue White said,

A booklet issued by the RSPB says "By law, cyclists must give way to
pedestrians and horse riders on bridleways".

Is that true?

Yes, in England and Wales. By the same token, Ramblers Association
members are not allowed to deliberately obstruct cyclists using
bridleways, I beleive :-)

Unfortunately, in England & Wales the authorities seem to think that
various paths need to be categorised into various randomly defined
types, and that users of said paths need to be bound by petty rules and
regulations rather than rely on common sense. The Scots just do away
with all that!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old December 20th 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Paul Boyd wrote:

Unfortunately, in England & Wales the authorities seem to think that
various paths need to be categorised into various randomly defined
types, and that users of said paths need to be bound by petty rules and
regulations rather than rely on common sense.

As for roads then, particularly with regards to the raft of petty laws
and regulations concerned with motor vehicle use.

The Scots just do away
with all that!

Do they have mass carnage? I haven't heard of it. Perhaps there are
lessons to be learned there for our roads too.

--
Matt B
Old December 20th 07, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.walking
raisethe

x-no-archive:Paul Boyd wrote:

Unfortunately, in England & Wales the authorities seem to think that
various paths need to be categorised into various randomly defined
types, and that users of said paths need to be bound by petty rules and
regulations rather than rely on common sense. The Scots just do away
with all that!

Unfortunately, the idea that Scotland is a walker's paradise is in part
a myth. As there are few rights of way, landowners are not prevented
from putting an obstruction over a path that starts getting used
regularly by walkers. 8 foot deer fences are an example. Further, many
paths have been allowed to disappear through lack of use, or lack of
awareness that they exist. In general, England & Wales are vastly
superior to Scotland for localised country walking.

Right to roam may sound great in principle, but having the right to walk
across miles of pathless fields of turnips, each one surrounded on four
sides by barbed wire isn't really much use.
Old December 20th 07, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Sue White wrote:
A booklet issued by the RSPB says "By law, cyclists must give way to
pedestrians and horse riders on bridleways".

Who would not want to give way to a horse? :-)

~PB

Old December 20th 07, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/s..._20030002_en_1

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"So tell me, just how long have you had this feeling that no one
is watching you?" (Christopher Locke: Entropy Gradient Reversals)

True wheel has slack spoke, doesn't stay true Tad Marko Techniques 33 December 10th 05 08:05 PM
This is so true! PiledHigher Australia 5 October 27th 05 09:11 AM
Can this be true? Deest Australia 2 October 5th 05 01:08 AM
Wheel true or not true? Ken Marcet Techniques 9 March 27th 05 06:24 PM
true jrutkows Unicycling 7 May 5th 04 01:31 AM