Lance Armstrong in Banned Substances Shocker?!?

Old August 5th 04, 06:31 AM
Tom Keats

Default Lance Armstrong in Banned Substances Shocker?!?

In article ,
"psycholist" writes:

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"psycholist" writes:

Hey, I'm short, bald, slow and thin-skinned. I just figure it's better to
have a sense of humor about things -- the the extent possible. I just got
delisted from a local e-mail list of riders 'cuz I couldn't stand all the
mean-spirited things they would say about each other (and call them jokes).
So it's the same thing I suppose.

Well, I've seen folks from all sorts of countries, cultures &
backgrounds come to this newsgroup, and it's often a useful source
of cycling info and insights to them. I figure they might as well
also find it a friendly and welcoming place. Or at least, let's not
scare them off. Besides, I don't think I'm the only one who enjoys
listening to accounts of what cycling is like in Brest or Frankfurt
or Tuva or Suva or Ankara or Florence or Krakow or Hong Kong or
wherever far-flung (from my perspective) else.

While this seems to be a more-or-less unilingual newsgroup, I've
seen so many of these folks' posts begin with something like:
"Please forgive my poor English," and then they submit their
questions or points in quite understandable (and very polite)
terms, in English. They've made much more of an effort than any
glib Anglophone here. And they generally get good replies. But
if they lurk for awhile before posing their questions, and come
across posts that even appear to insult them, then what happens?

My bar is just set at a different level
than yours.

Not necessarily. Note:

1) the 'joke' refers to substances banned by /the French/,
not the UCI.

a) those substances are all externally-used personal hygiene
products. It's /not/ about mundane, internally comsumed
products, like espresso or Rolaids, being monitored by
the UCI.

Think about it. The anti-French insult is veiled-ly implicit --
almost subliminally so. But it's there.

Now, I ain't raggin' on anybody, or accusing anybody of being
bad people. I just like the international & multicultural
flavour of this newsgroup, and I believe it does well to
preserve and promote it, rather than to undermine it.

Peace.

and to you too, & good rides,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old August 5th 04, 06:37 AM
Bill Davidson

keydates wrote:
What's wrong with kimchi?

Like many fermented food products, it smells bad.

It tastes good though .
Old August 5th 04, 08:30 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"S o r n i" writes:

Dammit, Bob, you answered better than I could!

There, there. Don't worry. Maybe you'll catch on,
some day.

Bill "everyone knows those Keatsians can't laugh" S.

That's only because we suppress outright laughter
so our imbibements don't come out our noses (which,
while having high capacity, still isn't very
comfortable.)

Keatsian laughter might not be audible, but rest
assured, it exists.

Heh.

cheers,
Tom

Old August 5th 04, 08:52 AM
James Thomson

"tcmedara" wrote:

You've obviously never ridden the Paris metro in mid-August!
The B.O. compares only to the smell of kimchi in the Seoul
metro.

Parisians traditionally vacate the capital en masse for the entire month of
August. In all probability, the fellow passengers whose odours you found so
remarkable were foreign tourists and AUP summer-scholars.

The drains can become rather ripe in the ardeur of the canicule, but that's
hardly unique to Paris.

Canny Paris commuters cycle, whatever the season.

James Thomson

Old August 5th 04, 03:32 PM
Mark Hickey

Bill Davidson wrote:

keydates wrote:
What's wrong with kimchi?

Like many fermented food products, it smells bad.

It tastes good though .

It sure does (especially mul kimchi). The Seoul subway CAN get "a bit
crowded"... I have ridden on it when it's so bad that everyone
standing falls toward the back when leaving the station (since they
can't move their feet) - they ride leaning to the rear on their fellow
passengers 'til the next stop when the brakes stand 'em all back up.
It probably sounds impossible to those who haven't experienced it (or
Tokyo subways), but it happens.

BTW, worse than kimchi is the sun-dried squid they have as a snack.
Also very tasty and nutritious - but whew!

OTOH, mass transit in Beijing was probably worse - seems that raw
garlic cloves is a popular breakfast item (no kidding).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Old August 5th 04, 03:44 PM
keydates

I like garlic and kimchi. Raw garlic smells kind of bad, but cooked
garlic smells good, in my opinion. Kimchi just smells weird...I guess
it is hard to tell if it's spoiled (if that can actually ever happen).

--
keydates

Old August 5th 04, 04:56 PM
S o r n i

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"S o r n i" writes:

Bill "everyone knows those Keatsians can't laugh" S.

That's only because we suppress outright laughter
so our imbibements don't come out our noses (which,
while having high capacity, still isn't very
comfortable.)

Well, I never said you Keatsians couldn't /drink/!

Keatsian laughter might not be audible, but rest
assured, it exists.

Good to know

Bill "best medicine and all that" S.

Old August 20th 04, 12:12 AM
RickSL

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"S o r n i" writes:

Bill "too bad not to forward" S.

I wish you didn't. It's too offensive for my tastes.
I prefer humour, or even wit, over ethnicity-bashing.

That picture taken from Apollo VIII, of Planet Earth alone
in space, is reputed to have changed our understanding of
our world. Apparently, not enough.