Coasting

Old August 17th 04, 07:12 AM
papercut

In my part of the US (I suspect thw whole country), such a basic
commuter bike is answered by the cruiser. 26" wheels are ubiquitous,
as are single speed coaster brakes. I can understand the concern over
aesthetics, but they fit the bill. I agree that the three speed hub is
a remarkably practical transmission for most practical bicyclists. And
a plain old single speed coaster brake is perfectly acceptable for
many folks.

I like your spec for a commuting bike. The closest (reasonably priced)
thing I've seen is this one a LBS sells these for about $160:
http://www.micargibicycles.com/bike_...?bid=elegant_m
They also have step though frames. And a very similar less expensive
SS freewheel equipped with front/rear V brakes.

Seems decent enough. A front brake is necessary, IMO. And I suspect
it's be difficult to market anything other than 26" tires on such a
bike, that size has so much momentum among such riders.

Even at $160, I think it's too much. It's competing with $60 *mart
MTBs, like the one Carl Fogel is riding. I see these things being
ridden in the streets every day, often half busted, stuck in one gear.
Good enough, I suppose. Seems it would be much more sensible to make
one of those with a coaster brake hub SS or three speed, instead of
the marginal derailer systems they employ.

SS coaster brake hubs are cheap and reliable enough. But three speed
hubs are just too expensive, even in high quantities, would represent
half the cost of that *mart bike. Shimano, SRAM, SA, all are too
expensive. Korean company, MBI World,
(http://www.mbiworld.com/mbi/html/mainproducteng.html) seems to be
interested in the low end hub gear market, with apparently unproven
designs/vaproware. The reamergence of the three speed hub would be a
good thing for commuters, I think.
Old August 17th 04, 04:26 PM
maxo

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:12:20 -0700, papercut wrote:

Even at $160, I think it's too much. It's competing with $60 *mart MTBs,
like the one Carl Fogel is riding. I see these things being ridden in the
streets every day, often half busted, stuck in one gear. Good enough, I
suppose. Seems it would be much more sensible to make one of those with a
coaster brake hub SS or three speed, instead of the marginal derailer
systems they employ.

Sigh, I don't even consider the *mart bikes to be bikes, just bike-shaped
scraps of metal LOL. You can't compete with them--they don't even count
since the product is such abyssmal quality. I think there is a market
between the LBS 300 dollar entry level bike and the 100 dollar POS. Even
Walmart is selling bikes in the $200 range these days, so I don't think
I'm far off the mark.

The problem with the 250-300 dollar basic, but decent, classic bike is not
the price IMHO, but the distribution. Most folks that would pay a couple
hundred for a crappy mtb at *mart, probably wouldn't set foot in a bike
shop to discover the slightly more expensive and far superior alternatives
anyway.

Although I loathe the American "cruisers" from an ergonomic
standpoint--you're right, a Huffy cruiser for 80usd is going to be a much
more servicable ride than a hundred dollar MTB--there's not much to break.

SS coaster brake hubs are cheap and reliable enough.

But three speed
hubs are just too expensive, even in high quantities, would represent
half the cost of that *mart bike. Shimano, SRAM, SA, all are too
expensive. Korean company, MBI World,
(http://www.mbiworld.com/mbi/html/mainproducteng.html) seems to be
interested in the low end hub gear market, with apparently unproven
designs/vaproware. The reamergence of the three speed hub would be a
good thing for commuters, I think.

This is not radical or a new idea on my part, just a reaction to visting
back home in Sweden and noticing that many discount stores and sporting
goods shops sell servicable Shimano 3sp "shopping" bikes for around $200.
Yeah, they've got one-piece cranks, steel posts, bars and often rims--but
they also come standard with racks, fenders, and dynamo--albeit not of the
best quality.

The average "decent" city bike over there that I'd want for an every day
ride runs aroun $500 fully equipped. $500 for a daily vehicle is
cheap--but you've got to change attitudes for folks to understand that. If
lower income folks can find it rational to spend 1500 on a set of rims and
low-profile tires for their '92 civic, then you can convince people of
anything.

I've finally started seeing fully equipped city rides here in Nashville at
the LBS, but they're the shmancy Trek models for around $800, though it
seems that you do get your money's worth. They also sell $400 cruisers
with the Nexus 3sp. Somewhere inbetween those two bikes is a market...

Old August 17th 04, 04:28 PM
maxo

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:12:20 -0700, papercut wrote:

The closest (reasonably priced)
thing I've seen is this one a LBS sells these for about $160:
http://www.micargibicycles.com/bike_...?bid=elegant_m They also have
step though frames.

Hey that's not a bad ride at all for the dough, add some cheap fenders and
a rack and you get a great 'hood scoot.

What strikes me as amazing is that it does NOT come with a crapola
suspension fork.

Thumbs up!

Old August 17th 04, 04:34 PM
maxo

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:12:20 -0700, papercut wrote:

I like your spec for a commuting bike. The closest (reasonably priced)
thing I've seen is this one a LBS sells these for about $160:
http://www.micargibicycles.com/bike_...?bid=elegant_m They also have
step though frames. And a very similar less expensive SS freewheel
equipped with front/rear V brakes.

Sorry to triple reply, I'm a bit groggy this morning--

I really liked that simple bike you posted a lot, but what I want to add
to the mix is style. Not much, but a touch.

I'd love for a lower end ride to look like a vehicle, not a piece of
sporting equipment, if that makes sense. There's nothing wrong with the
sporty look--don't get me wrong--but something in the spirit of the
Raleigh Sports from the 50-70s era is my taste. Something you can wear in
a banker's pinstripe with a trouser clip and not look foolish. LOL.

Old August 18th 04, 03:16 AM
Roger

Thanks for the reply. I found out my error. When I started to pedal
the bike I put the gear inot 3rd. Apparently it never moved and was
in first. Now, with all my experience (LOL 5 days riding a bicycle),
I learned to pedal in first until it becomes too easy (usually around
the 8 miles and hour) and then go to second. So far I am not fast
enough to top out in second bugt did go 14 miles an hour. Sorry for
the stupid question, but I am really having a great time on the bike.
NOt bad for an old guy.
Thanks, Roger
"Mike Kruger" wrote in message .. .
"Roger" wrote in message
om...
At 55 I am a new to ridding a bicycle. I do ride a motorcycle but
never have ridden a bicycle. I bought a Townie 3 and had no problem
getting started. At 8 miles an hour the bike starts to coast in third
gear (I can not feel any resistance on the peddles). The bike only
has 3 gears. Is this normal? Do I wait until it drops in speed and
peddle again? Only been riding three days.
Thanks for the help.
Roger

One of two things is happening:

(a) normal: The bike has begun to go 10 miles an hour. You are still
pedalling at a rate which would support 8 miles an hour. This might be due
to going down a slight hill. This is normal if you are in the lowest gear,
although third would be highest gear and you would have to be pedalling
extremely slowly.

(b) abnormal: The gears are out of adjustment. I had this type of problem
with a 3 speed I was trying to restore (which, sadly, had too many problems
to justify further effort). This is a tune-up type adjustment that a bike
shop could do for you, although you might find out how to do it on Sheldon
Brown's site.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html

free rotating wheels? XWonka Unicycling 10 August 13th 06 03:45 AM
coasting nickvb123 Unicycling 16 June 13th 04 11:54 AM
How do you know when you can coast? joe Unicycling 17 February 9th 04 07:24 AM
Coasting learning progression... andrew_carter Unicycling 2 October 26th 03 07:40 PM